Poll: Who wins this series?

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastern Conference Quarterfinals: Boston (4) vs Toronto (5)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    Its been Rask and turnovers that have killed them.
    Reimer is real deal.
    And Leafs speed is killing the slow Bs defence.
    A couple of smarter plays by Leafs and this series is totally different.
    Agreed 100 percent, the Leafs can win this series if they cut down on the turnovers and protect the lead.
    Last edited by dmvincent; May 10, 2013 at 9:51 PM.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Legend

If the Leafs can squeak out a win on Sunday the pressure will be enormous on the Bruins in game 7. I would love to see a Leafs upset here.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Padawan

Leafs have outplayed them all series.
    No, I can't agree with that.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Icon

Well ofcourse when a team like the Bruins are down in the last 5MINS they are going to put the pressure on. Most teams do. The key is not making mistakes when it happens. Cover the points(that hurt leafs again tonight)and keep on the Fwds. There learning thou.
    Last edited by sparrowtrini; May 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Well ofcourse when a team like the Bruins are down in the last 5MINS they are going to put the pressure on. Most teams do. The key is not making mistakes when it happens. Cover the points(that hurt leafs again tonight)and keep on the Fwds. There learning thou.
    The Leafs were on their heels for most of the third period. Beyond that though, how can you say the Leafs have outplayed the Bruins the entire series? You partly address that on the next line... turnovers. If you're turning the puck over, a lot of the time it's because your opponent is forcing you to make bad decisions, thus giving the puck away. Do you remember Game 1? The Leafs looked awful. Reimer was the only thing keeping it from being an 8-1 game.

I'll agree they're learning though. This is an extremely important experience for the Leafs.

G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    Util (1)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Leafs will win. The NHL needs that sweet, sweet HRR.
    yup. one more game at the ACC for that sweet HRR. Just what the NHL ordered.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    The Leafs were on their heels for most of the third period. Beyond that though, how can you say the Leafs have outplayed the Bruins the entire series? You partly address that on the next line... turnovers. If you're turning the puck over, a lot of the time it's because your opponent is forcing you to make bad decisions, thus giving the puck away. Do you remember Game 1? The Leafs looked awful. Reimer was the only thing keeping it from being an 8-1 game.

I'll agree they're learning though. This is an extremely important experience for the Leafs.
    Yes i agree game 1 WAS ONESIDED by Boston.
    Alot of turnovers thou were because of nervousness and just plain stupid plays(inexperiance)
    Leafs have to learn when they are skating they give the bs fits.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Alot of turnovers thou were because of nervousness and just plain stupid plays(inexperiance)
    And that's all part of it. The Bruins have been the better team for the majority of this series. Teams can lose games even though they played better hockey than their opponent, but rarely does the best team lose a playoff series. I suppose it's possible for the Leafs to pull out two more victories, but given how good the Bruins are, it really seems unlikely here.

Util (1)

Banned

Leafs have outplayed them all series.
    Its been Rask and turnovers that have killed them.
    Im kindve glad they played Boston. Much better opponent then habs.
    Thus they r learning. And certainly showing alot of heart tonight.
    2-0.
    Things ive noticed.
    Reimer is real deal.
    And Leafs speed is killing the slow Bs defence.
    A couple of smarter plays by Leafs and this series is totally different.
    Sparrow are you watching a different series than the rest of us? lol

So far the two teams have played 15 periods (plus half an OT) and if I was scoring it I figure it would be something like 7-4-4 in favor of the Bruins. I agree the Leafs have exceeded expectations and shown they can hang with the Bruins but outplayed all series? Not a chance.

The tale of the tape is illustrative though:

Wins: BOS 3 - TOR 2
    Goals: BOS 16 - TOR 12
    Shots: BOS 41.6/gm - TOR 36/gm
    Faceoffs: BOS 56.9% - TOR 43.1%
    Giveaways: TOR 83 - BOS 66

I couldn't find anywhere that recorded quality scoring chances but I feel like BOS would be leading there as well.

But the Leafs have kept this close and made a series out of it, how? They've been dominant in other areas, primarily special teams play and grit:

PP: TOR 23.5% - BOS 18.8%
    PK: TOR 81.2% - BOS 76.5%
    Hits: TOR 246 - BOS 204
    BS: TOR 106 - BOS 68

This game 6 should be a great one...the teams are much better matched than I anticipated, the Leafs are in front of the home crowd and the last couple games have been close

The Great One

Take away the first game (which is a bullshit thing to do) and the Leafs have been the superior team.

The Bruins have gone through long stretches of poor hockey.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Leafs have been the better team in the series, how can you really argue that? Have you watched all the games?

In game one, Boston killed them. The Leafs looked nervous and not like the team that finished fifth overall in the Eastern Conference. Every other game since Boston has come up with goals at the right time, thanks mostly to David Krejci (leads the NHL in playoff points thus far).

You knew Rask was going to be stellar, but if Toronto got enough good chances they would definitely be able to score a few on him. In game four, he was the best I've seen him in this series (I was at the game).

Then the game went to OT, the Leafs controlled the play. They hit one post, missed the net a few times and Rask made several amazing saves. One turnover and Krejci ends the game, really tough loss.

One thing I have noticed though is that James Reimer seems to be getting better game after game and that could mean a series win in seven if the rest of the team does their part.

Basically, you need to get lots of shots on Rask and shut down Krejci. If they can do that, they have a very good chance at winning this series.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Take away the first game (which is a bullshit thing to do) and the Leafs have been the superior team.

The Bruins have gone through long stretches of poor hockey.
    yeah take away the 1st game, the 3rd game and the 4th game and the Leafs are totally outplaying the B's

Dobber Sports Ninja

Stats don't really tell the whole story here. It's been a pretty even series overall, but if I had to pick the team that's looked superior for slightly longer stretches, I'd say it's been the Leafs.

The Bruins have enormously benefited from stellar goaltending and timely goals, but the Leafs have dictated more of the play.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    It's been a pretty even series overall
    fair enough, that's accurate, the rest? not so much, but I think given that it has been pretty even and hard fought you're going to see different interpretations coming from Leafs fans than you will from Bruins fans

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    The Bruins have enormously benefited from stellar goaltending and timely goals, but the Leafs have dictated more of the play.
    last I checked, the goaltender was part of the team...Reimer stopped 40 of 41 shots last game, he stopped 35 of 37 in their other win, wouldn't you say the Leafs have not also benefitted from stellar goaltending?

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    last I checked, the goaltender was part of the team...Reimer stopped 40 of 41 shots last game, he stopped 35 of 37 in their other win, wouldn't you say the Leafs have not also benefitted from stellar goaltending?
    not in game 1 and 3.

game 1 was whole team effort loss.
    game 3 was winnable but he was shakey.