Page 65 of 240 FirstFirst ... 15 55 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 75 115 165 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new show...

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: I need a new show...

Just binged watched the first 5 episodes (series 1) of "The Fall". Wow! This is an intricately plotted crime drama that I know others have mentioned on this thread before. It stars Gillian Anderson as DSI Stella Gibson who is brought in to apprehend a serial killer, played brilliantly by Jamie Dornan. His performance, in particular, as the creepy, sociopathic murder is fascinating to behold. Well done!

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    It's only been two episodes so far, but AMC's Preacher looks like it has loads of potential. Like TWD it's spawned from a comic book series. I haven't read the comic but all I've read about it I was dubious whether it could be adapted to TV. Especially to a network not named HBO or Showtime.

The first two episodes have been really good. Gory, violent, a bit over-the-top, nuts(in a good way), fast paced. Too early to say yet but so far they've done a good job setting the series up and giving viewers a sense of context. The writers have started to lay the groundwork for some fascinating storylines.

When your source material is best described as profane, blasphemous, obscene, and your 4 main characters are a man of the cloth with a less than saintly past, his lover who's a trained assassin named Tulip, an Irish vampire with a large appetite for booze, drugs, and violence, plus a dude called Arseface, you've got quite a base to work from. How they adapt it to basic cable remains to be seen, but through two episodes it's looking good.
    This show is tons of fun so far. No idea what's really going on a lot of the time of a lot of great characters and just plain old violence and messed up stories. Im in

The Great One

Curb is coming back after a 5 year hiatus!!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Curb is coming back after a 5 year hiatus!!
    Was this rumoured at all?? Seems out of no where to me.

I have never watched a second of that show.....I guess I should eh

Dobber Sports Genius

Wrecked.....anyone watched much? From what I saw thought it was quite good - dumb humor. Tid bit from episode one I do believe.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Just binged watched the first 5 episodes (series 1) of "The Fall". Wow! This is an intricately plotted crime drama that I know others have mentioned on this thread before. It stars Gillian Anderson as DSI Stella Gibson who is brought in to apprehend a serial killer, played brilliantly by Jamie Dornan. His performance, in particular, as the creepy, sociopathic murder is fascinating to behold. Well done!
    The Fall was fantastic. There's a second season too, but it's not quite as good.

Another good British show that's similar to The Fall is Broadchurch.

Dobber Sports Deity

FYI, the new season of Suits started back up last night.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Novice

A lot of good shows have already been brought up, but here is a list of quality television that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread:

Utopia: A little wild, a little violent and a whole lot of fun.

Generation Kill: Contemporary television doesn't get any better than this.

The Knick: Fascinating look at the origins of modern surgery and a look at a fascinating time and place in history.

Line of Duty: Another BBC gem that looks at an internal affairs officer. Season two is as good as television gets.

Gomorrah
    : A look inside the life of the Italian mob.

I don't have much to offer in terms of hockey advice (yet), but hopefully some of you can find enjoyment in these little gems (especially during the off-season).

A.C.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Preacher is just past the half way mark of Season One and I think AMC has a good one to run with. It's not without it's faults. Some characters and show elements are getting really deep(too deep?), detailed backstories, others are kinda shallow. Some of the issues on that front are down to pacing. One of the big bads, Odin Quincannon hasn't really been explored in much detail really. And they haven't really provided much context on the 'Cowboy' who has appeared at the beginning of so far three episodes in flashbacks to 1880's Texas. A little sleuthing on google reveals who he is, but I'll save that for the show to introduce him in the here and now.

A large part of the backstory issues are owed to the size and scope of the story. There's a lot to unpack, and also the nature of the source material. Add in that it's on basic cable, Rogen and Co. have had to just embody the spirit of the comic and almost totally re-imagine the characters to make them appeal to both the hardcore fans of the comics and those who've never read them. Nobody short of HBO could possibly pull off a spot on re-telling and it would rival and, likely, push boundaries further than even GoT does if they were to be faithful to Garth Ennis' work. And that's saying something. And there are some parallels like how Benioff and Weiss are getting to tell the GoT story their way since they have no source material to work with anymore. Here it's a case of pulling it back to PG13 levels and that it would be hard to budget for so many far flung shooting locations if the TV show traveled around like the comics.

On the positive there are so many characters and rich storylines to explore that if they're careful it can really flourish. Overall I think they've done a good job of getting it off the ground and it has some serious potential.

Little teaser of the fun...

Full scene, and a bit more, here....

Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    SWEET... been waiting a long time for this one.. Thx for the reminder.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Because I needed more distractions in life...
    Thanks though!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

My wife and have finally gotten around to watching season 1 of Mr. Robot. Wow! Outstanding. I completely understand why people are calling it the best show of last year. My wife refers to the Tyrell Wellick character as "Evil Pete Campbell."
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
    A lot of good shows have already been brought up, but here is a list of quality television that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread:
    Hey man, thanks for those trailers. Do all of these end with a proper ending? As in... they weren't cancelled leaving the watcher hanging to find out what happens? I'm pretty keen on Utopia and Generation Kill as long as they have an ending. Not keen on watching cancelled shows.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Hey man, thanks for those trailers. Do all of these end with a proper ending? As in... they weren't cancelled leaving the watcher hanging to find out what happens? I'm pretty keen on Utopia and Generation Kill as long as they have an ending. Not keen on watching cancelled shows.

Good question.

Utopia ends after its second season, and even though a third season was planned, most loose ends are tied up nicely. It's surprising that this series didn't attract more fanfare... it's stylish and unique with great characters and a cast that really does them justice. There are rumors that David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club, etc) was interested on an American remake of the show for HBO - and although Utopia would seem to fit in perfectly with his previous works, it is hard to imagine him improving on the original.

Generation Kill - although it is a mini-series, it plays like a documentary. You are dropped into the middle of the Baghdad, free of political agendas and left to observe the unfolding warfare. Much like The Wire, which was also produced by David Simon, viewers are left to observe and reflect and draw their own conclusions. Simon called Generation Kill his masterpiece.

Both are highly recommended. The other 3 series are all ongoing and at varying stages.

Dobber Sports Expert

I just started Vikings. I just finished season 1 and it was very good.

Great GoT-withdrawal show if you ask me. I tried Spartacus but it didn't feel right. I had this feeling like I was watching a B-level series.

Season 2 of Marco Polo was good also.
    twitter: @hugotwigg