Page 17 of 240 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 67 117 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new show...

Administrator

Default Re: I need a new show...

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Just got done watching the Wire after taking forever to get around to it in the first place. What a great series from top to bottom. I imagine most of you have already seen it but if you haven't be sure to put it on your list. I really hope David Simon does something else gritty like this sometime soon, he's got the perfect touch for it.
    So good! Like, best show I've ever watched, good. Simon had a few other shows similar in theme to The Wire that came out earlier. For his post Wire career he did Generation Kill, a mini series on the Iraq war. I never watched it but my brother really liked it. He also did another show, Treme, but it was not nearly as adored. Simon's been quoted as saying that his stuff really works better in written form so we may see him steering back that direction.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    So good! Like, best show I've ever watched, good. Simon had a few other shows similar in theme to The Wire that came out earlier. For his post Wire career he did Generation Kill, a mini series on the Iraq war. I never watched it but my brother really liked it. He also did another show, Treme, but it was not nearly as adored. Simon's been quoted as saying that his stuff really works better in written form so we may see him steering back that direction.
    I've never seen The Wire (I do have all the seasons downloaded on DVD's, just haven't got around to watching yet) but I have watched Generation Kill. That was awesome!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    Android TV with XBMC installed put the SportsDevil Add on and you can get all the games no charge!

is this a better option than to just use hockeystreams? i have an android stick with xbmc, but it does lag a little. i would pay for gamecentre but blackouts piss me off and ive been warned that using a vpn could cause them to terminate your subscription and perhaps even legal issues.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Somehow Netflix shipped me a 3rd disc by accident, so wife & I got some new show watching done over the weekend.

Our current fave show: SUITS. We are in Season 3. Love it. Like the Law version of Mad Men. And extra fun seeing the actors of Varys & Catelyn Stark/Tully from Game of Thrones here.

Other disc we got:
    Homeland Season 3. I've got a feeling that I'll lose interest in this show this season. Three episodes in, not grabbing me. (The same way I just lost interest in Walking Dead).

The Bridge/Bron/Broen. (subtitled Swedish/Danish production. Oh man, first couple episodes, so good. And there is apparently a UK/France version and a USA/Mexico version. Also - I meant to ask our resident Euros a question... the show portrays the Swede Policeperson, woman, to be very uptight, by-the-book, serious... and it portrays the Danish policeman to be sort of goofy and easy-going... is that how Swedes & Danes are??? In comparison? Just trying to get some context on the type of a pair these are supposed to make.)

Also on the go for when I've got no disc:
    The Strain. About 7 episodes in. Pretty decent, but I still feel like it won't hold me for more than one season.

Skins. Second season. I don't know what it is... but I've never stopped liking High School shows. This one is set in England, I believe. I dig it. I streamed the first two seasons (one class) about three years ago. The first one hooked me and it was super fun to see two of the kid actors show up in Game of Thrones (one guy plays the smith kid named Gendry and one of the girls I liked plays the Wildling girl Gilly, but with better teeth. Currently watching the second class of kids, Season 3, that Effy Stonem is pretty hot... sort of a naughty Emma Watson... mmmm.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I've never seen The Wire (I do have all the seasons downloaded on DVD's, just haven't got around to watching yet) but I have watched Generation Kill. That was awesome!
    I don't know what you could possibly be doing with your time that would be better than watching The Wire. I would recommend starting it now and banging it off before hockey season starts.

Administrator

I'm somewhat intrigued by the new Gotham show on Fox. It's somewhat based on a comic if I'm not mistaken. I recently found out it's more of a prequel/origin story than a "this is what life in Gotham is like with Batman around" story. I was more excited for the latter than the former. We'll see, I think it debuts tonight.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Homeland Season 3. I've got a feeling that I'll lose interest in this show this season. Three episodes in, not grabbing me. (The same way I just lost interest in Walking Dead).
    Ugh... this show... Huge fall after an amazing first season.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Maybe it's about time I start watching The Wire. I was gonna knock out the most recent season of The League on Netflix but maybe I'll just skip that for now.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Maybe it's about time I start watching The Wire. I was gonna knock out the most recent season of The League on Netflix but maybe I'll just skip that for now.
    I can't recommend it highly enough.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I've been watching Treme and I'm really liking it. It is a bit of a departure(radical even?) from what most people would be expecting from David Simon after The Wire and Generation Kill. It's not nearly as action oriented as those two. That's one knock folks have had against it, the other is the heavy doses of music. That one in particular really baffles me. People the show is set in Nawlins, music is at the epicenter of the culture there, well aside from rampant corruption and awesome food.

Maybe it's the authentic New Orleans musical genres, jazz, blues, dixieland that people are criticizing. Those aren't mainstream genres so people can't handle it I guess. Maybe they just don't fully appreciate just how integral music is to the culture and life of the area. Could be both, who knows. I do know the more you watch it the more it grows on you.

As far as your love of The Wire goes, it's a really good show but for me it's not even a top five show of all-time. Maybe it'll grow on me more over time. I'm deep into season two and enjoying every bit of it, but not blown away. It could also be that I'm late to the party and all the hype over the years kind of led me to have too high expectations. I would recommend it though.

Administrator

I'm somewhat intrigued by the new Gotham show on Fox. It's somewhat based on a comic if I'm not mistaken. I recently found out it's more of a prequel/origin story than a "this is what life in Gotham is like with Batman around" story. I was more excited for the latter than the former. We'll see, I think it debuts tonight.
    So I checked out Gotham last night. I really dug the pilot. It was dripping with origin story nonsense and I ate it up anyway. Excited to see where they go from here.

Dobber Sports Genius

So I checked out Gotham last night. I really dug the pilot. It was dripping with origin story nonsense and I ate it up anyway. Excited to see where they go from here.
    I enjoyed it too, which surprised me a little. I'm definitely on board for episode 2. Here's hoping they continue to rope us in!

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm finally almost caught up on House of Cards. Loved it - definitely gonna continue it when season 3 goes live.

I've got True Detective in my queue, but wanted to see what other options there are.

What's next? Any suggestions?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I'm finally almost caught up on House of Cards. Loved it - definitely gonna continue it when season 3 goes live.

I've got True Detective in my queue, but wanted to see what other options there are.

What's next? Any suggestions?
    True Detective is definitely worth your time. It's not necessary to get it done before the next season comes out since they aren't connected but it would probably be worth getting it done before then anyhow.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I just started watching Gotham and I love it. Mind you I'm huge on superhero stuff whether it's DC comics or Marvel so I'll pretty much like anything that involves superheroes.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!