Page 64 of 240 FirstFirst ... 14 54 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 74 114 164 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new show...

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: I need a new show...

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    I just finished season 1 of Vinyl. It was good, but I was a little disappointed in it to be honest. I felt it was a little all over the place, and not a good flow of storylines mixing in with each other. I'll watch season 2 when it comes out but I think the show still has room for improvement. Now the struggle to find the next HBO/HBO like show to watch...
    Showrunner Terence Winter (The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire) either quit or was fired from the show due to "creative differences", so I have a guarded outlook for this one going into next season.

I thought the season premier was preposterous and disappointing but it definitely improved along the way.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Wife and I just ripped thru Seasons 1 & 2 of The Leftovers (HBO).
    Big thumbs up. Huge hook in very first scene + excellent character acting/casting of some very flawed characters in small New York town.
    Season 2 is actually better than Season 1. (and shifts to small Texas town w/same key character group)
    Season 3 comes out in fall, I believe.

10 episodes, 1hr long, per season.
    So the length of a single season is same as GoT.

I'm not sure anybody has referenced that show in this thread...
    ...I find most of my tastes are inline with what people have recommended, so I'd have to guess a bunch of you would like this.

Interesting. I thought The Leftovers was unrelentingly bad. Nothing happened!! At all!! It had a great premise, but they totally butchered it and the show failed to deliver IMO. It was basically a farce to get ratings if you ask me. Then again, I only watched the first 6-7 episodes of season 1.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    Interesting. I thought The Leftovers was unrelentingly bad. Nothing happened!! At all!! It had a great premise, but they totally butchered it and the show failed to deliver IMO. It was basically a farce to get ratings if you ask me. Then again, I only watched the first 6-7 episodes of season 1.
    The Leftovers isn't a suspense show as it tends to appear, which may be why it appeared to you that "nothing happened". It's more of a rumination on how the modern society would react to what is an undeniably supernatural event.

There's a lot in it that you'd have to be at least somewhat familiar with the Bible to get, such as why Matt has Kevin read from Job 23 as they're disposing of Patti's body at the end of Season 1.

This show's definitely not for everyone, but there's a lot "happening" in it.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    The Leftovers isn't a suspense show as it tends to appear, which may be why it appeared to you that "nothing happened". It's more of a rumination on how the modern society would react to what is an undeniably supernatural event.

There's a lot in it that you'd have to be at least somewhat familiar with the Bible to get, such as why Matt has Kevin read from Job 23 as they're disposing of Patti's body at the end of Season 1.

This show's definitely not for everyone, but there's a lot "happening" in it.
    I didn't expect it to be a suspense show, but something about it just seemed off to me. I don't like shows that pose questions but never offer answers to them. It lacked resolution to me. Also, I thought it had very few likable characters so it was hard to get invested in their stories.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I didn't expect it to be a suspense show, but something about it just seemed off to me. I don't like shows that pose questions but never offer answers to them. It lacked resolution to me. Also, I thought it had very few likable characters so it was hard to get invested in their stories.
    I'll watch anything that's well-crafted and entertaining on a minute-to-minute basis whether anything ultimately gets resolved or not. Lindelof announced from the beginning that the show is not going to attempt to resolve The Departure and is only about people's reaction to it.

It's a difficult show to recommend because I think they're building something more intricate than they're going to have time to adequately resolve.

Myself, I don't require characters to be likable in order to be viable. It's really hard to find a likable character on either The Sopranos or Mad Men, for example.

I'd end up missing out on a lot of good entertainment if that were the standard. I just require them to be credible and interesting, and this show is full of credible and interesting characters.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
    I'm now halfway through season 2 of Mad Men and I'm hooked. The character development is really deep. Now I'm pounding through episodes. It's really well written.

Whenever I run out of shows, I go back 10-15 years to find something different. I've watched almost everything good from the last 20 years. What havent you watched from some of the top shows?
    Mad Men is one of my favorite shows. Definitely somewhere in the top 10 of all time. I used to listen to the Grantland podcast reviews of the episodes and really enjoyed them. There was a lot that I missed. Granted, I was usually drinking as I watched them.

I think I wrote it earlier in this thread but go back and watch The Twilight Zone when you get desperate for something. Some of those are very good.

If you liked Broadchurch check out Wallander, Hinterland, and Foyle's War. I enjoy those European shows.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Master

plowed through Vinyl last week , not too bad - alot of Cocaine !

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    In the show, or last week?

Dobber Sports Master

In the show, or last week?
    definately in the show haha .

Dobber Sports Superstar

Yeah, it's definitely Mad Men with sideburns and long hair, very dubious wardrobe decisions, and people doing coke in their offices instead of scotch.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Master

Yeah, it's definitely Mad Men with sideburns and long hair, very dubious wardrobe decisions, and people doing coke in their offices instead of scotch.
    I'm guessing season 2 , the disco era saves the company

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm guessing season 2 , the disco era saves the company
    That might be possible, but they would need to take quite a jump forward in time. From the cultural references in the show (Led Zeppelin forming the Swan Song label, televised Watergate Committee hearings, and music such as Pillow Talk, etc.), season one takes place in late spring/early summer 1974. The disco era didn't really take off until 1976-77.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Master

That might be possible, but they would need to take quite a jump forward in time. From the cultural references in the show (Led Zeppelin forming the Swan Song label, televised Watergate Committee hearings, and music such as Pillow Talk, etc.), season one takes place in late spring/early summer 1974. The disco era didn't really take off until 1976-77.
    I agree , maybe they were just showing how it became an underground process a few years before it took off nationally

Dobber Sports Wizard

It's only been two episodes so far, but AMC's Preacher looks like it has loads of potential. Like TWD it's spawned from a comic book series. I haven't read the comic but all I've read about it I was dubious whether it could be adapted to TV. Especially to a network not named HBO or Showtime.

The first two episodes have been really good. Gory, violent, a bit over-the-top, nuts(in a good way), fast paced. Too early to say yet but so far they've done a good job setting the series up and giving viewers a sense of context. The writers have started to lay the groundwork for some fascinating storylines.

When your source material is best described as profane, blasphemous, obscene, and your 4 main characters are a man of the cloth with a less than saintly past, his lover who's a trained assassin named Tulip, an Irish vampire with a large appetite for booze, drugs, and violence, plus a dude called Arseface, you've got quite a base to work from. How they adapt it to basic cable remains to be seen, but through two episodes it's looking good.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Icon

When you're waiting for the new episode of Archer to be posted...then check and realise they shortened this season to ten episodes (from 13)...and last week was episode ten.

Attached Images Attached Images
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin