Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hall loses it

Administrator

I'm not even sure why people still expect fair treatment at the Shanahan level. Fans have been barking up that tree for years and they still can't get it right.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    The situation was already dealt with in the game when Hanzal drilled him from behind into the boards.
    He needs to get his face smashed in for two handing someone in the back of the legs like that.

I have not watched as many Edm games as I usually do this year but I have heard from a few of my friends in Edm that Hall is becoming a bit of a dirty player? This needs to be addressed by a veteran in there dressing room if it is true? It is not his job to deal out retribution.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    He needs to get his face smashed in for two handing someone in the back of the legs like that.

I have not watched as many Edm games as I usually do this year but I have heard from a few of my friends in Edm that Hall is becoming a bit of a dirty player? This needs to be addressed by a veteran in there dressing room if it is true? It is not his job to deal out retribution.
    I agree that Hall is a bit of a dirty player. I also don't like it.

Hanzal dealt with it with a dirty hit of his own.

Dobber Sports Pro

Besides the knee on Clutterbuck(and who didnt like seeing Clutterbuck get handled, he's been running small skilled players for years), this is the only real dirty thing he's done. Which isn't bad considering he gets run as much as any player in the league.
    There's a clip on the Oilers "Oil Change" documentary of Horcoff talking to Hall about the Clutterbuck hit and explaining to him that he needs to make a better decision in that split second moment.

ps. These slashes used to happen every game in the 70's/80's. I'm not condoning it now but let's not act like it was Simon on Hollwegg or Mcsorley on Brashear. I still think Lecavlier's slash on Subban last year was worse then this one and he didn't get any supplementary discipline.
    Last edited by donions; April 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I agree that Hall is a bit of a dirty player. I also don't like it.

Hanzal dealt with it with a dirty hit of his own.
    Did not see the Hanzel hit so Ill take your word for it then. He still needs to get a couple games imo.

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Is anyone really expecting Hall to get more than a slap on the wrist by Shanny? Hall is a star. Stars don't get the same consequences as the pluggers.

I love how the idiot announcer in that video practically yelled "and Hanzal comes FLYING IN!" when he was standing right beside Hall and just pushed him down to the ice. Flying? Overly dramatic much?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    pps. I'm really aggravated that Oilers management hasn't made more moves to insulate these kids, Hall has far too often this season had to fight his own battles when he's already responsible for geneating most of the offense. I'll give Tambelinni 1 more summer to surround these kids with some functional toughness before I join Big Ev and company in thinking Tambelinni is a terrible GM.
    Stop wasting your time. He's a horrible GM and accept it.
    I hope Tambs gets fired and a real GM comes in to get the Oilers someone more fearsome than Horcoff and Smid.

It was quite disappointing to see Hall do that. Although I can understand frustration having played hockey.. that is still assault with a weapon.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    Besides the knee on Clutterbuck(and who didnt like seeing Clutterbuck get handled, he's been running small skilled players for years), this is the only real dirty thing he's done. Which isn't bad considering he gets run as much as any player in the league.
    There's a clip on the Oilers "Oil Change" documentary of Horcoff talking to Hall about the Clutterbuck hit and explaining to him that he needs to make a better decision in that split second moment.

ps. These slashes used to happen every game in the 70's/80's. I'm not condoning it now but let's not act like it was Simon on Hollwegg or Mcsorley on Brashear. I still think Lecavlier's slash on Subban last year was worse then this one and he didn't get any supplementary discipline.
    I never compared it to either of those slashes. Those were on a different level. Mcsorley's in particular. He should have went to JAIL for that...

All I'm saying is it was a brutal slash and he should get a couple games and Vinny should have last year as well

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Administrator

Did not see the Hanzel hit so Ill take your word for it then. He still needs to get a couple games imo.
    To me this is a fine, unless we are changing the way they normally deal with this stuff in order to curtail unnecessary violence, which I'd be fine with but there's a fine line there. As I pointed out earlier, Michalek is grabbing Hall's stick from the second they engaged. I didn't watch the game but whose to say that wasn't happening all game. With the refs choking down their whistles even more one good way to curtail those impediments is to make the guy pay with a slash. Now that's bound to escalate things even further and that's not where you want to go but if the league is really going to both allow the refs to continue not calling penalties (admittedly there wasn't much there by Michalek but I'm going off the presumption that he was clutching/grabbing all game because I'm a biased Oiler fan) AND to fine guys for taking matters into their own hands then there's a real disconnect at work here. The end result being way less offense and a return of late 90's hockey, if we weren't there already.

I'm probably blowing this issue out and turning it into my own frustration with the degree to which penalties have gone down over the past couple of months but that's still the direction I'm going. If a guy is clutching and grabbing you can do one of a few things:

- Take the high road and just keep on trucking.
    - Do it back to him, risking your own penalty and in this case on a guy who isn't a threat.
    - Get dirty (ie. the Hall slash), which sends a message not to continue the impeding action.
    - Dive

And I'm sure there are a few more. To me the decision to slash there is no different than a lot of the times Pronger would do it someone. If you went out and dangled him/embarrassed him he'd just go out and hack you to send the message not to try that on him any more and it would often work. It's dirty but it's smart. In the case of Pronger you definitely would want the league cracking down on it because he's gaming the system by using one-time dirty actions that result in a minor penalty to curtail endless possible clean offensive rushes. With Hall though, the slash is seemingly done to curtail endless possible uncalled defensive penalties that hinder offense. So really, if the league is going to lay down a suspension here one might conclude that they are saying they don't respect the offensive player's ability to stand up for himself. They aren't directly saying it but that's the leap of logic I am taking here.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Padawan

Too bad Shannahan is a huge hippocrite because that tantrum deserves a half dozen games.
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    Hall should get a call from Shannahan
    ....and the referee's should also get a call for missing another one.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    To me this is a fine, unless we are changing the way they normally deal with this stuff in order to curtail unnecessary violence, which I'd be fine with but there's a fine line there. As I pointed out earlier, Michalek is grabbing Hall's stick from the second they engaged. I didn't watch the game but whose to say that wasn't happening all game. With the refs choking down their whistles even more one good way to curtail those impediments is to make the guy pay with a slash. Now that's bound to escalate things even further and that's not where you want to go but if the league is really going to both allow the refs to continue not calling penalties (admittedly there wasn't much there by Michalek but I'm going off the presumption that he was clutching/grabbing all game because I'm a biased Oiler fan) AND to fine guys for taking matters into their own hands then there's a real disconnect at work here. The end result being way less offense and a return of late 90's hockey, if we weren't there already.

I'm probably blowing this issue out and turning it into my own frustration with the degree to which penalties have gone down over the past couple of months but that's still the direction I'm going. If a guy is clutching and grabbing you can do one of a few things:

- Take the high road and just keep on trucking.
    - Do it back to him, risking your own penalty and in this case on a guy who isn't a threat.
    - Get dirty (ie. the Hall slash), which sends a message not to continue the impeding action.
    - Dive

And I'm sure there are a few more. To me the decision to slash there is no different than a lot of the times Pronger would do it someone. If you went out and dangled him/embarrassed him he'd just go out and hack you to send the message not to try that on him any more and it would often work. It's dirty but it's smart. In the case of Pronger you definitely would want the league cracking down on it because he's gaming the system by using one-time dirty actions that result in a minor penalty to curtail endless possible clean offensive rushes. With Hall though, the slash is seemingly done to curtail endless possible uncalled defensive penalties that hinder offense. So really, if the league is going to lay down a suspension here one might conclude that they are saying they don't respect the offensive player's ability to stand up for himself. They aren't directly saying it but that's the leap of logic I am taking here.
    I agree with the majority of what you say here. The ref's and the league do need to wake up and start calling the penalty's in order to curtail retaliation. That being said it should not be Hall on your team doing this. That is why you employ goons. If he is being held all game have an some fool 2minute man deal with it. I don't think you or any Oiler fan wants to see Hall get suspended or worse yet become the victim of some retaliation coming back his way that would put him out for an extended period.

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Administrator

I agree with the majority of what you say here. The ref's and the league do need to wake up and start calling the penalty's in order to curtail retaliation. That being said it should not be Hall on your team doing this. That is why you employ goons. If he is being held all game have an some fool 2minute man deal with it. I don't think you or any Oiler fan wants to see Hall get suspended or worse yet become the victim of some retaliation coming back his way that would put him out for an extended period.
    As much as I agree with the sentiment that you don't want Hall getting suspended I think there's something to be said for the guy "fighting" his own battles. I don't know if Michalek necessarily gets the message if some goon comes out later and tries to fight him saying, "Stop holding Taylor's stick." In this instance, Michalek grabs the stick, Hall hacks him right away. That message is more direct.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    As much as I agree with the sentiment that you don't want Hall getting suspended I think there's something to be said for the guy "fighting" his own battles. I don't know if Michalek necessarily gets the message if some goon comes out later and tries to fight him saying, "Stop holding Taylor's stick." In this instance, Michalek grabs the stick, Hall hacks him right away. That message is more direct.
    Agree that message might be a little more direct but now you might be without your best player for a few games with your team only 4 points out of the playoffs.

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Administrator

Agree that message might be a little more direct but now you might be without your best player for a few games with your team only 4 points out of the playoffs.
    I'm cool with that as I don't think anything will come of it. In the grande scheme of things that slash wasn't bad. Dirty? Unquestionably. I've just seen much worse.