Thread: Viktor Fasth or Ben Bishop?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Viktor Fasth or Ben Bishop?

Need to make a decision today. Who has better long term keeper value?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Welcome to the boards.

Hard to say at this point in time. If I had to pick one, I'd probably go with Fasth because the situation in Anaheim appears to be Hiller on his way out at some point. Meanwhile in Tampa, we're still unsure what Lindback's long-term value is.

My two cents.

Dobber Sports Icon

Welcome.

First point of advice, when bondon gives you advice about goalies, do the opposite
    I kid of course, it's a running joke on here. You'll be fine as long as you don't draft the same goalies he does.

I do honestly prefer the Bishop side, he's been highly touted for years. That's no guarantee of course, but I like his chances in TB. Lindback has been shaky, but I think the situation they are in will be good for both goalies. They should push each other, resulting in improved play from both.

Fasth could be a one-shot wonder this season or could steal the job from Hiller. But Hiller is a very good young goalie and I don't see him being pushed out of town just yet.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    You'll be fine as long as you don't draft the same goalies he does.
    Ain't that the truth...

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Welcome.

First point of advice, when bondon gives you advice about goalies, do the opposite
    I kid of course, it's a running joke on here. You'll be fine as long as you don't draft the same goalies he does.

I do honestly prefer the Bishop side, he's been highly touted for years. That's no guarantee of course, but I like his chances in TB. Lindback has been shaky, but I think the situation they are in will be good for both goalies. They should push each other, resulting in improved play from both.

Fasth could be a one-shot wonder this season or could steal the job from Hiller. But Hiller is a very good young goalie and I don't see him being pushed out of town just yet.
    I agree with everything he says but I do not believe Fasth is a one hit wonder. Posted great numbers in the Swedish Pro league, was arguably the best goaltender there before he came to NA. And Swedes are very good at hockey...just google their predicted 2013 Sochi Olympic team. Will blow your mind. I don't think Hiller will be run out of town, I think Anaheim will try to keep both like what Gillis is doing with Sc/Lu in Van this season unless an absolutely MONSTER deal shows up.

In terms of the teams' futures, it's interesting to see which team is better in the long run too. Both teams have their share of aging vets (Selanne/S. Koivu vs St. Louis/Lecavalier), big guns (Getzlaf/Perry vs Stamkos/arguably Purcell) and good new wingers/prospects in the mix (Etem/Palmieri/Bonino vs Connolly/Panik/Killorn/Pouliot). D's are questionable on both sides but overall, I think Anaheim's team looks younger so I would probably give Fasth the slight edge over Bishop.
    Last edited by LakeSoup; April 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM.
    ------------OLD------------
    15 Team Yahoo Rotisserie (1YR)
    Max Games Played
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 4BN
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Giroux, Stastny, Fisher
    LW: Benn, Hall, Lucic, Hartnell
    RW: Stamkos, Hossa, Stafford
    D: Karlsson, Byfuglien, Brodie, Borowiecki, Pouliot
    G: Elliott, Allen, Dubnyk, Stalock
    IR: P. Kane

Notable Trades:
    Khudobin -> Hartnell (Oct 12)
    Ehrhoff -> Lupul (Nov 12)
    Greiss -> Hossa (Nov 21)
    Forsberg, Kucherov, Stalock -> Stamkos (Dec 20)
    Varlamov -> Lucic (Jan 20)
    E. Staal -> Byfuglien (Jan 20)
    Halak, Perreault -> Benn (Feb 10)

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks guys! I had a really tough time with this one, especially since goalies are really deep in our league. I do believe that Fasth is the real deal, but I still ended up going with Bishop. Hiller is just too good to go away, meanwhile I think Bishop will be the starter. Lindback hasn't been very good and his junior numbers are mediocre at best. The problem is that TB is consistantly a bad defensive team but I can't see Yzerman letting that go on much longer. Only future will tell...