Thread: Post mortem on a deal

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Post mortem on a deal

I usually don't bother coming to the forums to talk about deals after they are done, but I took a shot today and thought it might be interesting to mull it over as to the potential for it to succeed.

League is 14 team Yahoo Roto - max games at 48 per position for this season. Starting rosters 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D and 2G with a bench of 4 and 2 IR.

I am -4 games at C, +3 at both wings, -2 at D, and +3 in goal.

Cats are: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FOW, Hits, Blocks, W, GAA, SV% and SV's.

My pre- trade roster:

C: Stastny, RHN, Z. Smith
    LW: Ott (C), Ladd, Franzen (RW), Landeskog
    RW: Pavelski (C), Pominville, Setoguchi, Purcell
    D: Letang, Keith, Hedmann (since traded for Yandle), Franson, Fraser, Wiecioch
    G: Rinne, Allen, Fasth

IR: Prust (LW), Ward (G)

My issue - I lost Stastny for 10 days - I am weak in goals, ppp and pims sitting 4th last in each on a points per game basis and sog is a little weak sitting 7th last - the rest of my skater cats are pretty good. Not to worry about goalies here, they are going to do what they do.

So the shot I took was moving Landeskog and RHN for Spezza and Tyler Johnson.

I broke my cardinal rule of ever trading for an IR player in a one year league but I couldn't find another deal that might help me beef up my weak cats and I think this one will, without caving too much in other cats.

So what do you think? It's done so I'm living with it - I still have a shot in this league if some boys get hot, so I wanted to position myself with a chance - had I not made a move I think I would be an also ran in a hurry, but I am not convinced I won't be anyway with this move.
    Last edited by Shoeless; March 26, 2013 at 7:57 AM.

Dobber Sports Deity

Today, I like it for you. Landeskog is hurt again and Nuge hasnt done squat this year. Right now the best player in that whole deal is Johnson. As soon as Landy comes back this deal could turn ugly for you pretty quick, especially if Nuge can finally start finding the net (or his teammates) again.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

It's one year, so everyone can start by throwing out the birth certificates.

Well... you got Spezza. He's by far the highest upside guy.

Fantrax has this to say, "(3/14/13) Ottawa coach Paul MacLean claims he was unaware of any new development in Jason Spezza's recovery from back surgery. A report surfaced from Renaud Lavoie of RDS Wednesday night, which stated that Spezza is dealing with "some stiffness" in his back, which is slowing his progress and it may keep him out for another month. "I have no idea," MacLean said after Ottawa's shootout loss to Montreal. "I don't know. Not that I know of. I don't know anything about that. I was here all day, just like (the media)."

This means he's still a week or so away, but so was Stastny. Spezza is soft though, so he has to be extra dominant in the scoring stats to justify himself. I've always avoided him. As we both know he features a pot hole around every corner. However, in trying to make up lost ground, he's a pretty good risk. He can be NHL player of the month on any given month. No Karlsson doesn't help his upside.

Tyler Johnson... for me it's way too early to count him in as a regular contributor. However, he has achieved to date, which is critical for a young guy coming in. He's got a proven history as a producer at every other level he's played, which bodes well. He's small, so that helps us clarify why he is in the NHL, clearly to be a top 6'er. Whether he can maintain his spot in the top 6 remains to be seen. His sampling period is so small, but he already has 10 hits, so he's in Gretzky full season territory already! A few blocked shots too. The coming days look bright with Vinny on the IR. You're banking that he's here to stay and doesn't slip a bit (1/2 NHL season - back & forth to the minors), like a Tyson Barrie, etc, etc, etc...

Landeskog is clearly the piece you'll miss. Showing 50 point pace again and bringing a nice cross section of stats.

RNH has been a major disappointment to date. I notice that he's still getting his PP time and his TOI is still 16 minute a night ish. Those are healthy indicators. So he's still poised to break out at any moment, or continue the sleep. He's a better option on the BK & Hits than one would speculate.

So, when contemplating that a guy is trying to make a late rally, in a one year pool, I can understand the choice to grab the high risk guys.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Funny this trade.
    Funnier the way you ask for "Did I do OK?" advice.

If you want to look at the trade from ONE-side... YOUR side... it's a terrible trade.
    You are giving up way too much in Landeskog & RNH just to get Spezza.
    You know Spezza, we all know Spezza... and with this injury - he's not going to be fully healthy soon. The SENS are doing fine without him (and like the PENS and Malkin), so there is no rush to get him back.

Q: Is it a good trade overall?
    A: Yup, because every trade has two sides.

The other side is the team that is getting these players.

At the very bottom of the league is an inactive owner (Doan of the Dead) who had to be roused from his slumber (by whom??? hmmmm???) to come back to the league since his absense has an impact on standings.
    Now... if Doan of the Dead can just get back to setting his line-up (CHECK) and getting a few more active players (RNH & Landeskog, CHECK) with skill in his line-up then he might leap-frog a few teams in a few categories.
    Perhaps Assists... perhaps PPP. That would help chase down one team.
    Perhaps Goals... that might help chase down another team.

Who are the real threats in this league right now?
    You know... oh, I know you know.

Well played Shoe... well played.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; March 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by JHM View Post
    It's one year, so everyone can start by throwing out the birth certificates.

Well... you got Spezza. He's by far the highest upside guy.

Fantrax has this to say, "(3/14/13) Ottawa coach Paul MacLean claims he was unaware of any new development in Jason Spezza's recovery from back surgery. A report surfaced from Renaud Lavoie of RDS Wednesday night, which stated that Spezza is dealing with "some stiffness" in his back, which is slowing his progress and it may keep him out for another month. "I have no idea," MacLean said after Ottawa's shootout loss to Montreal. "I don't know. Not that I know of. I don't know anything about that. I was here all day, just like (the media)."

This means he's still a week or so away, but so was Stastny. Spezza is soft though, so he has to be extra dominant in the scoring stats to justify himself. I've always avoided him. As we both know he features a pot hole around every corner. However, in trying to make up lost ground, he's a pretty good risk. He can be NHL player of the month on any given month. No Karlsson doesn't help his upside.

Tyler Johnson... for me it's way too early to count him in as a regular contributor. However, he has achieved to date, which is critical for a young guy coming in. He's got a proven history as a producer at every other level he's played, which bodes well. He's small, so that helps us clarify why he is in the NHL, clearly to be a top 6'er. Whether he can maintain his spot in the top 6 remains to be seen. His sampling period is so small, but he already has 10 hits, so he's in Gretzky full season territory already! A few blocked shots too. The coming days look bright with Vinny on the IR. You're banking that he's here to stay and doesn't slip a bit (1/2 NHL season - back & forth to the minors), like a Tyson Barrie, etc, etc, etc...

Landeskog is clearly the piece you'll miss. Showing 50 point pace again and bringing a nice cross section of stats.

RNH has been a major disappointment to date. I notice that he's still getting his PP time and his TOI is still 16 minute a night ish. Those are healthy indicators. So he's still poised to break out at any moment, or continue the sleep. He's a better option on the BK & Hits than one would speculate.

So, when contemplating that a guy is trying to make a late rally, in a one year pool, I can understand the choice to grab the high risk guys.
    Very nice feedback - you're calling it pretty close to where my head is at on a flat out player for player contribution - Johnson was essentially a throw in and I may get some short term utility out of him if he can keep the pace as his ppgp in most cats are decent so far.

It's not much of a gamble in some respects - the margin between Landeskog and my other LW isn't so great (if at all) considering Ott is gold in this league, Ladd is having a very sound season and Prust and Franzen (some coverage from RW if need be) can carry the ball for the games remaining. I have not been playing RHN much at all - he has been a dog for the most part and his FOW are almost none existent.

At the end of the day - it's a flat out shot that Spezza comes back and contributes a good dozen games - if I can get some fow, ppp, sog, and perhaps some goals out of him - I think it works as a gain. Time will tell. I didn't lose a lot in Stastny in one respect and yet it hurts my team as I don't have an alternative to plug in for the stats I was getting from him. If Johnson can't partially compensate then I need to go looking in the sparse C cupboard.
    Last edited by Shoeless; March 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Funny this trade.
    Funnier the way you ask for "Did I do OK?" advice.

If you want to look at the trade from ONE-side... YOUR side... it's a terrible trade.
    You are giving up way too much in Landeskog & RNH just to get Spezza.
    You know Spezza, we all know Spezza... and with this injury - he's not going to be fully healthy soon. The SENS are doing fine without him (and like the PENS and Malkin), so there is no rush to get him back.

Q: Is it a good trade overall?
    A: Yup, because every trade has two sides.

The other side is the team that is getting these players.

At the very bottom of the league is an inactive owner (Doan of the Dead) who had to be roused from his slumber (by whom??? hmmmm???) to come back to the league since his absense has an impact on standings.
    Now... if Doan of the Dead can just get back to setting his line-up (CHECK) and getting a few more active players (RNH & Landeskog, CHECK) with skill in his line-up then he might leap-frog a few teams in a few categories.
    Perhaps Assists... perhaps PPP. That would help chase down one team.
    Perhaps Goals... that might help chase down another team.

Who are the real threats in this league right now?
    You know... oh, I know you know.

Well played Shoe... well played.
    Please note the shit eating grin. But alas I must work on transparency - perhaps a little more smoke on the screen would dull the picture.
    Last edited by Shoeless; March 26, 2013 at 4:50 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

You guys are hilarious. Brilliant move by Shoe, and even more brilliant by Pengwin to figure it out. Repped both of ya for brightening up my day hahaha
    ------------OLD------------
    15 Team Yahoo Rotisserie (1YR)
    Max Games Played
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 4BN
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Giroux, Stastny, Fisher
    LW: Benn, Hall, Lucic, Hartnell
    RW: Stamkos, Hossa, Stafford
    D: Karlsson, Byfuglien, Brodie, Borowiecki, Pouliot
    G: Elliott, Allen, Dubnyk, Stalock
    IR: P. Kane

Notable Trades:
    Khudobin -> Hartnell (Oct 12)
    Ehrhoff -> Lupul (Nov 12)
    Greiss -> Hossa (Nov 21)
    Forsberg, Kucherov, Stalock -> Stamkos (Dec 20)
    Varlamov -> Lucic (Jan 20)
    E. Staal -> Byfuglien (Jan 20)
    Halak, Perreault -> Benn (Feb 10)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

And here is the ultimate brilliance: I get to keep Landeskog and RHN and have a rejuvenated GM going hard in the lesser reaches of the pool.

A message from Yahoo today: Landeskog and RHN for Spezza and T. Johnson trade will not be processed, xxxx team is over the allowable roster limit.

Interestingly, I just received a trade offer for Landeskog and RHN in return for Spezza and T. Johnson - what do you guys think? Should I do it?
    Last edited by Shoeless; March 28, 2013 at 3:48 AM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm going to douse you in comments today.

1. RNH. R. N. H. I want to reach Matrix-style through my screen, zip through the internet line-ups, pop-out on your side in Cambodia and slap you once really hard and say R-N-H... get it right!

2. Tyler Johnson!? Tyler Johnson?! He's got 6 SOG in 7games. His linemates are Ondrej Palat and Richard Panik. Yeah. Who? Exactly.

3. Tampa Bay's 2nd line center is Vinny Lecavalier. When he comes back, all other playing time for centers zips down.

4. There's a saying about lightning striking... and it struck. 3 goals on 6 shots. A few more assists and some PLUSes. It was a good start.

Shoe - you should consider this a sign from the fantasy gods showing you that R-N-H is actually ready to perform for you.

Yes, making this trade could help DotD jump some of the contenders.
    But the long-and-short is THIS... the winner of RHRS-Roto will need 120pts.
    If you want that to be you, then YOU have to keep the best players.

And those players are RNH and Landeskog.
    Get your head on straight, son.
    (And good luck to you.)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'm going to douse you in comments today.

1. RNH. R. N. H. I want to reach Matrix-style through my screen, zip through the internet line-ups, pop-out on your side in Cambodia and slap you once really hard and say R-N-H... get it right!

2. Tyler Johnson!? Tyler Johnson?! He's got 6 SOG in 7games. His linemates are Ondrej Palat and Richard Panik. Yeah. Who? Exactly.

3. Tampa Bay's 2nd line center is Vinny Lecavalier. When he comes back, all other playing time for centers zips down.

4. There's a saying about lightning striking... and it struck. 3 goals on 6 shots. A few more assists and some PLUSes. It was a good start.

Shoe - you should consider this a sign from the fantasy gods showing you that R-N-H is actually ready to perform for you.

Yes, making this trade could help DotD jump some of the contenders.
    But the long-and-short is THIS... the winner of RHRS-Roto will need 120pts.
    If you want that to be you, then YOU have to keep the best players.

And those players are RNH and Landeskog.
    Get your head on straight, son.
    (And good luck to you.)
    You are classic - and funny. May we grow old playing together playing in this league - oops I am already old - scratch that because I probably should be saying 'may we play in this league until I finally succumb to the dread lurgies.' Sounds morbid. As far as slapping me is concerned, you are obviously geographically challenged - I live in Korea which isn't exactly a border state to Cambodia, so good luck catching up with me before the end of the regular season.

120 is a good call, I was projecting about 122 for the win. On paper, I was there 2 weeks ago but thanks to Rinne and Allen, and just a general skater malaise, I am sitting on 109ish. Without a goaltending revival I am cooked regardless but one has to play as if it might happen.

Anyway - I hear you but my thinking is that sitting on RHN is a dead guess at this point. He wakes up about every 6 or 7 games and is horrendous on the dot. Landeskog is likely more the factor in not making the move if he continues to snipe fairly regularly. I have a fairly deep analysis in place on this deal and a Spezza return on the 15th vs Boston will likely pay a modest premium and an optimistic return on the 9th vs TB would carry the deal for sure.

I'm going to play RHN today and see how that works before going back to the deal.