Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Rumour] Dan Boyle

Banned

I think the Devils might work too. They could always use a PMD

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    The only issue with the Rangers is what happens this summer when the cap drops and they aren't even able to re-sign their own guys. With Boyle they'd have over $59 million committed with extensions due for Stepan, Hagelin and McDonagh. You've gotta figure McDonagh is commanding at least $4 million. Or do they just do the deal and then figure it out in the offseason figuring that worst case scenario they simply use the amnesty clause on one of Boyle or Gaborik who would each have just one year left on their deals making them pretty easy to buyout.
    Amnesty will be used on Richards if anyone I think. That contract is going to kill them

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Please... to the rangers... please

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by sd1976 View Post
    Amnesty will be used on Richards if anyone I think. That contract is going to kill them
    Yeah I thought about him but there are a few issues with that:

1. I have no idea whether or not the Luongo Rule would have any impact on that on their ability to use their amnesty on Richards.

2. Centermen are extremely difficult to acquire and the FA market this summer is bare.

3. Richards has something like $36 million left on that deal. Are they really going to pay him that much to take a hike and then go and try to sign/trade for his replacement at a similar cost? I know the Rangers have deep pockets but that seems a little overboard.

I think if the Rangers are thinking about using their second buyout on Richards they do it after next season before it expires. The reason for doing so is you are paying Richards $9 million next season regardless so you may as well keep him on board and see if he plays up to snuff. If he doesn't then you drop the axe and at least it's only $27 million instead of $36 in dead money. And that opens them up to be players in the Malkin sweepstakes or even go after some "smaller" names like Thornton, Marleau, Stastny, etc.

Now some of those guys will sign extensions before hitting the market and the Rangers will have cap space anyway with Gaborik's deal expiring after next season, as well as Lundqvist (but you know that re-signing him is priority #1) but I think it behooves the Rangers to delay on buying on Richards for as long as possible, which is another reason I don't think they get after Boyle unless they think they can solve their cap issues in the off-season without needing to use their amnesty.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg