Thread: Deep roto draft completed - thoughts?

The Wolverine

Default Deep roto draft completed - thoughts?

Here's my squad in my 20 team roto, Yahoo one year league:

R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG,OPS / W,SV,K,HLD,ERA,WHIP
    C,1B,2B,3B,SS,IF,3OF,2Util / 4SP,3RP,2P / 4BN,3DL
    Max games=162, Max innings=1475

Edit: Updated roster on post #9

C: Grandal; 1B: Butler; 2B: Pedroia; 3B: Beltre; SS: A.Cabrera; IF: Lind
    OF: Swisher(1), Gordon, Span; Util: Plouffe(3,O), Wallace(1,3); BN: S.Smith(O)

SP: Latos, Minor, Parker, Cahill, Fiers; BN: J.McDonald, E.Ramirez, Lilly
    RP: Grilli, Parnell, Doolittle, Rosenthal

As Grandal is suspended for 50 games, I'll likely make a swap for a short term catcher until he comes back - maybe Suzuki? Will have a look to see who's available. In a 20 teamer, I'm sure there's not much. I'm also thinking of picking up another reliever for holds. I like to fill my RP/P slots with relievers and have one more slot available.

At a glance I think I have decent balance across the categories. I also wanted slightly more offense given the 11x9 split, without hurting my pitching too much. What do you think?
    Last edited by horrorfan; March 28, 2013 at 8:51 AM. Reason: Added max games/innings

Dobber Sports Veteran

Decent lineup, think you could use another power bat however.

The Wolverine

Thanks - we'll see how it goes. Being a deep league it's not easy to stock up on power. Maybe guys like Gordon, Lind, Plouffe and even Cabrera could pop out a few more.

As for catchers, just noticed that Wilson Ramos is available as well (post-draft waivers, will wait until FA as have #4/20 priority). Given my location I won't be able to manage two catchers at the same time (Ramos/Suzuki) so I wonder if I should just drop Grandal for Ramos? Shouldn't Ramos eventually play more often as the season progresses as he gets stronger after his recovery?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Pretty solid, as Jason mentioned you could use another bat but all in all its a team that will compete.

Suzuki knows the pitching staff for the Nationals as well, so it could be a split situation. I'd wait and see how that unfolds before you make a move.

Any other decent/noteworthy FA's?
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

The Wolverine

I've listed those in the guide on the team pages:

Ramos/Suzuki, Hanigan/Mesoraco, J.Castro, Brantly, Buck (D'Arnaud is taken), Cervelli, Hundley (logical pickup since I have Grandal?), J.Molina

Yep, that's it. Other than the Phillies catcher (can't remember name) who'll be out when Ruiz returns.
    Last edited by horrorfan; March 25, 2013 at 6:04 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Consider Rob Brantly, he's an underrated catcher that the Tigers liked a lot before ultimately parting with him for Anibal Sanchez.

The Wolverine

Good to know, thanks. Just curious - what are your thoughts on Hundley?

I also just noticed that Daniel Hudson was not drafted. Not sure if we're to expect much from him in the second half post recovery, but in a league this deep he'd be worth a flier and DL stash. However, I'm not going to waste my high waiver on him, so if he clears then I'll try and grab him. If not, so be it.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Good to know, thanks. Just curious - what are your thoughts on Hundley?

I also just noticed that Daniel Hudson was not drafted. Not sure if we're to expect much from him in the second half post recovery, but in a league this deep he'd be worth a flier and DL stash. However, I'm not going to waste my high waiver on him, so if he clears then I'll try and grab him. If not, so be it.
    He's alright, I think it makes sense for you to grab him while Grandal is out.

Hudson is probably worth stashing as well, he's supposed to back sometime around the all-star break.

The Wolverine

Hudson was left unclaimed so picked him up by dropping E. Ramirez. Then I put him on the DL and picked up Hundley. Also, as a wanted another RP I picked up J. Henderson and dropped Lilly. My new roster:

Yahoo 20 team, One year, Daily lineups/transactions, Max games=162, Max innings=1475
    R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG,OPS / W,SV,K,HLD,ERA,WHIP
    C,1B,2B,3B,SS,IF,3OF,2Util / 4SP,3RP,2P / 4BN,3DL

C: Hundley; 1B: Butler; 2B: Pedroia; 3B: Beltre; SS: A.Cabrera; IF: Lind
    OF: Swisher(1), Gordon, Span; Util: Plouffe(3,O), Wallace(1,3); BN: S.Smith(O), Grandal(C)-NA

SP: Latos, Minor, Parker, Cahill; BN: Fiers, J.McDonald
    RP/P: Grilli, Parnell, Doolittle, Rosenthal, Henderson
    DL: D.Hudson
    Last edited by horrorfan; March 28, 2013 at 8:56 AM.