Thread: Good Cages/Sheilds

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Good Cages/Sheilds

Been hit in the face about 4 times in the last 6 months playing men's league and pickup so decided to get a cage before I test fate too much. Obviously not going to pay out the ass for one, but does anyone know any good models?
    Yahoo! Keeper League (5 keepers)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PIM, FW, shots, hits, blocks, W, sv%, GAA, SO

C: Seguin, Toews, Krejci, Bjugstad, Nelson
    RW: Tarasenko, Hayes, Vrbata, Jagr
    LW: E. Kane, JVR, Soderberg, Killorn
    D: OEL, Yandle, Green, Campbell
    G: Halak, Anderson, Hiller

Dobber Sports Ninja

I hope this doesn't come off sounding bad, but they are all pretty much the same in terms of safety. The real issue is black, white, grey or chrome? I've always had a black grille, but sometimes when the ice is bright, I have to work on NOT focusing on the grille.

I have tried shields, but they fog up too much for me and if I have to put some kind of coating on it every game, I'm too lazy to do that. Plus, if you get a scuff or cut mark that won't come out, you will have to buy a new one. Not with a cage.

I've worn one for all of my men's leagues because I'm a short-ass and all the tall bastards who carry their sticks at waist level, end up striking my helmet - don't want to take a stick in the face every game, let alone a puck. Dental work, cuts, broken nose or worse, the eyes, make the minor inconvenience worth it. Now, why does the NHL not make protecting their "investments" from pucks (everyone can seemingly shoot 100 mph with those whip sticks) and sticks in the face?

Dobber Sports Genius

What baffles my mind is why the players association , Union , aren't pushing this on the players as it's an obvious health and safety issue.
    Most work place unions would embrace such protective "gear".
    Go figure.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by smoothfun View Post
    What baffles my mind is why the players association , Union , aren't pushing this on the players as it's an obvious health and safety issue.
    Most work place unions would embrace such protective "gear".
    Go figure.
    The union is not really interested in mandating what the players don't want. It has to stem from old school thinking that you have to be able to fight and you can't do that with full face protection...well, you could, just create a detachable mask and include a penalty for an opposing player who pops it off. Think of it as the "new" instigator penalty! Imagine, no more facewashing, posturing crap. If yer gonna fight, take off your cage and get at it.

I absolutely hate any preventable facial injuries in the name of comfort, vision (oh the irony) or personal choice. I never had a choice but to wear a hard hat and steel-toed boots on the jobsite along with eye protection when working with certain power tools. I couldn't waive my obligations in the name of comfort or efficiency.

This is a hot button issue for me. I think player safety MUST trump any of the players reasons for not donning full face protection. Mind you, this is the same league that is so concerned with concussions and yet they only penalize bare knuckle fights with 5 minute penalties! lol Uh yeah, primary point of contact was the head, duh!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Genius

Very , true!
    Same here , I have to wear protective gear to clean a school!
    Our unions fight for this though , it's to protect ourselves , now I'm not saying everyone
    abides by the rules but , if you don't you're not covered by management or/and your insurance.
    So you'd think "management" would say , Ok you don't want to wear protective "gear" to prevent injury/death , then good luck collecting benefits should you become injured!
    The old school theory makes sense but , with the rash of injuries and the costs to both owners as well as players , it is insane to not implement these type of measures.
    In N.Y. the mayor is trying to implement laws that would/will affect many sugary drinks.
    That begs me to ask , wouldn't pro hockey players , or any pro athletes , have to wear such protective gear to be in compliance of federal , provincial , or/and state laws?
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

take your helmet in to your local hockey shop/sport chek. not all cages fit well on all helmets. i wear a cage, don't like the shield for the same reasons as the Comish.

i think it's amusing when guys paying rec hockey don't wear any type of visor or cage - no offence intended. in the pros, they have insurance and can go onthe IR and still get paid and all that stuff (apparently the ability to see isn't such a big deal in the NHL). if you get a stick or puck inthe eye playing REC hockey, you're not only screwed because your eye is messed up, but you're screwed for your job too.
    7 Team Salary Cap Keep 6 League - Points only
    (protect max 6, salary cap = $103.5million)
    FWD: G/A = 1pt, D: G=2pts, A=1pt, Goalie Win = 2pts, Shutout = 3pts
    Dress 4LW, 4C, 4RW, 6d-men, 2 goalies (max 6 bench spots)

LW - Benn (LW/C)
    C -
    RW - Kucherov, Ovechkin (LW/RW)
    D - Gostisbehere, Letang
    Goalie - Holtby

on the bubble: Galchenyuk (C/LW), T. Johnson (C), M. Reilly (D), Yandle (D), Doughty (D)