Thread: I will trade, but I also need....

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default I will trade, but I also need....

I have been making some small FWD for FWD offers to managers in my league that address scoring issues on both our teams.
    Like an Assists guy for a Goals guy.

But a common response I keep getting back is, "I will need a DEF (or Goalie) too."

What is the best way to handle this?

Do I expand the trade to include the extra players?
    Do I tell them I am only able to move the players I offered?

Trading is at a minimum in this league because I think this is happening more and more often.
    Legit deals are being made, but then there is always an "extra" that the manager is after
    to address another issue they are having instead of being happy that one of their issues is being fixed.
    So less deals are being made and then when offers ARE made they need to be more inclusive to fix all the problems at once.
    A bad cycle.

Am I looking at this wrong?

If you send a solid offer for forwards and the other manager
    wants a def/goalie added to the deal, how would you handle it?

Dobber Sports All-Star

You can either over pay them to make the deal happen and accept it or find someone else to trade with or not at all.

If someone sent me an offer that was a fair offer but didn't give me any extra incentive or advantage then I would probably decline it as well. If the intent of the trade is to break even in value then I see no point wasting my time on a deal that won't make my team better. Thus when ever I send out an offer, I always over pay just to see it through. I find that whoever receives the offer holds all the power cause that person holds the desired asset.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Giant

send a two for one trade and give them two things they need while taking the best player in the deal. then pick up a free agent to make up for the lost spot.
    overpaying for the best player in the trade is not as bad when you give up two guys. you can basically count the free agent as a player coming back so the trade will be even in your eyes even with the slight overpayment.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yeah, that was sorta along the lines of what I meant.

I offered Max Pacioretty for Logan Couture.
    One is better at Assists, which he needed, and the other at Goals, which I needed.
    Their stats are close in our league that only counts Goals and Assists and +/- for FWDS.

He declined the trade and emailed me....
    "I'll trade but I have to get a goalie off you"

This is the third time in this league that I made an offer to improve stats on both his and the other guy's roster
    and then the reply is, "Will do it if you add in a def/goalie".

Guess it just caught me off guard that this keeps happening.
    Like looking a gift horse in the mouth?

If I needed a boost in a catagory and had extra in another, I would be happy
    that a manager took the time to try to address my needs and create a "win-win".
    Don't think I would come back with, "Oh, I HAVE to get a defenseman from you too. (to make this happen)"

I think I am over-thinking things here on a Tuesday.
    Thanks for your replies!

Dobber Sports Wizard

you are making assumptions about what other gms are looking to improve on their club and that is not always going to get you where you are looking to go

Dobber Sports Initiate

Maybe you should be more open with what you want. Start with a message "Hey I need more assist and I think you need more goals, can we do something about that?"

If he starts going on about other needs and fixes, make 2 trades or change your perspective. Maybe the other manager thinks his goalie problems is more important than his goalscoring.