Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sharp for J. Staal

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    not dude hating someone you dont even know is irrational

trading sharp for staal is just ill advised

who cares if staal is elite sharp certainly isnt elite neither is big brother eric imo

there is room on fantasy teams for non elite players

elite has no meaning if we are going to say 40 players are elite

and depending on the depth of the league jordan staal could be much more than marginal

also jordan staal is still playing in a defensive role he is still being matched up against the other teams top lines no its not his brother eric that is doing that not sure where you get that idea from but its just not true

just because he isnt worth trade for sharp doesnt mean you need to trash the guy like he is kyle okposo or something

a simple he isnt worth it would do

you cursed the guys lineage and shit on his front porch

thats kinda irrational
    But it's ok for Kyle Okposo! YOU DIRTY HYPOCRITE! (jk)

Ok Ok fine. The word HATE is being taken a little too literally (and personally)

Last time I checked...we're talking sports, and not just Spots...FANTASY Sports...Everyone in Fantasy sports is "hated" by someone at somepoint. Nothing personal for or toward him. Not even a dis on what he's able to do in real life, which you nailed on the head...play a defensive game. That doesn't go far in Fantasy Sports. I simply don't like his play and find him grossly over rated, and I grow weary of so many people making this guy out to be someone I simply feel he is not, nor ever will be as far as Fantasy Hockey is concerned. Perhaps my frustration is more toward those people who praise him rather than the player himself.

Thread's like these where people are asking about straight up's for Sharpe? Comeon. My passion is fueled in trying to open people's eyes and avoid them making HORRIBLE mistakes.

End of day...This is simply my opinion and feel free to ignore...hell feel free to trade Sharpe for him. (on a side note...not sure where the Cursing Lineage and shitting on porches came from but whatever)

OH...and Eric not Elite!? Who's being irrational now?

Over a PPG player for 4 of 9 career seasons (including this one) and 2 40 Goal Seasons...AND COUNTING. Pretty darn close to elite for me.

Dobber Sports Wizard

he will not be what others claim he could be because of opportunity not lack of skill and you seem to act like he lacks the skill and that is simply not the case

given proper linemates and icetime in offensive situations more than defensive ones he does possess the skill to be a ppg player but he is too good at what he does to ever be given that shot

you cant kill people over upside after all 90 point upside is thrown around in here like candy yet realistically they cant all have 90 point upside considering less than a handful of players are hitting it anymore

you and i have very different definitions of elite

as i said elite has zero meaning if you are just going to call 40 players elite

elite is the crosbys and malkins and sedins it used to be the ovechkins and there are a few more forwards that fall into that category but if you put too many players into that category well elite no longer has meaning

eric is a top end player but i dont consider him elite as i said for elite to have meaning it must be an exclusive club not an inclusive one

Dobber Sports Stud

why the hate did he kick your dog or screw your girl or something

the guy is an incredibly talented hockey player and his 'lack' of production up to this point in his career (at the ripe old age of 24 all downhill from here obviously) stems from the fact that he has been used almost exclusively in defensive roles with stone hands linemates

yeah the guy doesnt have as much fantasy relevance as his brother that doesnt make him shit

your hatred of him borders on irrational
    I was reading through here really hoping someone was finally going to chime in and state the painfully obvious. Thank you!

Role and success are very closely linked. Staal's role has changed, just as it did last year in Pittsburgh with the rash of injuries. Give the kid a few years in his new role and we'll see what sort of offensive numbers he can put up.

There are people on here waxing poetic on Sharp as if he's some sort of dynamo and I'm trying to figure out if we're talking about the same person. You are talking about the guy who's career year (and only time he ever broke 70 points) was 71? The guy who's 31 years old and due to see regression in the coming three years?

Staal was on pace for 66 points last year at the tender age of 23. Where's this vast divide I see people aluding to?

To answer the question. If you're looking at a 1-2 year window I'm taking Sharp because I think you'll get 5-10 more points out of him but if you're looking 3 or longer I'm taking Staal.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

"after all 90 point upside is thrown around in here like candy yet realistically they cant all have 90 point upside considering less than a handful of players are hitting it anymore"

AGREED!

"you and i have very different definitions of elite"

AGREED!

"as i said elite has zero meaning if you are just going to call 40 players elite"

AGREED (I'M CALLING ERIK ELITE...NO MENTION OF 39 OTHERS)

"elite is the crosbys and malkins...(and okposo's) "

AGREED

"...and sedins (BEEP BEEP...BACK THE TRUCK UP....DISAGREE - I'D RANK E. STALL HIGHER THEN BOTH TWINS...THEREOFRE DEFERING BACK TO "YOU AND I HAVE DIFFERENT DEFINITIONS OF ELITE"...AND THAT'S FINE CAUSE IT CREATES SPIRTED DEBATES LIKE THIS ONE)

"but if you put too many players into that category well elite no longer has meaning"

YUP!

"for elite to have meaning it must be an exclusive club not an inclusive one"

LOVE THIS STATEMENT!!! COULND'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF.
    Good Debate Luc. I enjoyed the challenge.

But I still don't want J. Staal on my fantasy team but would take Erik in a flash

...and to get back to the original author's question (I feel we hijacked his thread)... I think we both agree that J.Staal for Sharpe is a clear cut "No Thanks!"

Dobber Sports Wizard

you think eric staal is elite and the sedins arent wow all i can say is wow

why the hell are you comparing jordan to eric no one in here is claiming he is better than his brother no one is claiming he is as good as his brother this obsession of yours with them needing to somehow be equal is kinda frightening

big deal you would take eric over jordan do you want a cookie or something

as for not taking him on your team that is the definition of hatred i would be willing to bet he produces better than at least one of the forwards on your team and if you would rather lose than have jordan on your team well yeah thats irrational hatred

and no we dont both agree that it is a clear cut no thanks

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

you think eric staal is elite and the sedins arent wow all i can say is wow

why the hell are you comparing jordan to eric no one in here is claiming he is better than his brother no one is claiming he is as good as his brother this obsession of yours with them needing to somehow be equal is kinda frightening

big deal you would take eric over jordan do you want a cookie or something

as for not taking him on your team that is the definition of hatred i would be willing to bet he produces better than at least one of the forwards on your team and if you would rather lose than have jordan on your team well yeah thats irrational hatred

and no we dont both agree that it is a clear cut no thanks
    Sorry..."Ill Advised" where your words. But sounds like you've changed your tune now. That's fine.

I'm not comparing him to Eric. There is no comparison there. What I did say is that if it weren't for Eric, I don't feel Jordan gets the kinda of exposure that he does.

I never said The Sedin's were not Elite...I DID say that I felt Eric was better than both twins...Much like I expect you would say Crosby and Malkin are Better than both twins and Eric. The Elite club you speak of must be exclusive, but does include people other than Crosby/Malkin and the Twins IMO.

"as for not taking him on your team that is the definition of hatred"
    yeah...we have different definiations of Hatred apparently too.

Infact...can you please point me to any part of this thread where I said that I HATE Jordan Staal? Those where your words fella.

Your obsession with making this about Hatred is what I find Disturbing. I just don't like the J. Staal as a fantasy asset and find him grossly over rated by many people in the forum. But that's totally your opinion and your entitled to that.

I did say...
    "Don't waste you time with J. Staal" - My Opinion
    "IF his name was Jordan "Smith"...rather than "Staal"...we he wouldn't get ANY exposure here" - My Opinion
    "I just don't like this Staal brother. He's a Staal in name only as far as I'm concerned" - My Opinion

"Cursing lineage...Shitting on porches and constant use of the word HATE"...that's all you man.

So, back to the main question for "IWANTTOKNOW":

I say trading J. Staal for Sharpe isn't worth it because I feel J. Staal is Grossly over rated.

And you? Have you changed your tune from when you said "trading sharp for staal is just ill advised"

So which is it?

We're clearly not going to agree on J. Staal's Fantasy Value. Have him on your team, I don't want him on mine. Doesn't mean I hate him, just means I'd take everyone of my current keeper forwards (which Sharpe WOULD BE if I had him) over J. Staal today and 3 years down the road.

Dobber Sports Wizard

ill advised to me is completely different from clear cut

as for your hatred for staal i am not the only one who noticed it others have noticed and commented

whatever though no point getting into it with you you have a clear agenda against jordan staal here and there is no discussion to be had with someone who has an agenda

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

This is comical.

I do not like J. Staal as a fantasy hockey asset.
    I feel he is over rated by many people on the boards and his last name gets him more expose than what he may deseve.
    none of what I have said is a reflection on him personally or undercuting the role he plays in real life which may or may not Impact his fantasy relevance.
    I by-passed him in the draft and have 0 regrets at this point in the season as I feel I have better assets on my team now.
    I certainly would not trade Sharpe for him straight up in fantasy. Seems I'm not the only one who feels that way on this thread.

If you feel this demonstrates hate and having an agenda...well then thats your interpretation. I don't hate anyone...let alone Staal. What a waste of energy Lucifer. But thats just my opinion.

And

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    I just don't like this Staal brother. He's a Staal in name only as far as I'm concerned
    these are your words arent they

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

these are your words arent they
    Yup...I did say that.

In reference to the fact that if it wasn't for his last name, I personally don't think he'd garner the attention that he does get on here.

EDIT:
    But if you are suggesting that by saying "I just don't don't like this Staal Brother" suggest that I somehow "hate" him personally? Dude...you totally missread my intention.

Maybe I should have qualified that by stating the "I just don't Like this Staal Brother...as a Fantasy PLayer".

then... Some people, I feel, Are drinking the Koolaid and equating him to his older Brother because he is a STAAL. If he wasn't for his name (the Name that Eric has vaulted into hockey relevance) I don't feel Jordan gets as much attention.

I don't like him as a fantasy asset as much as others seem to.

Is that clearer?
    Last edited by havanablast21; March 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

no one in this thread equated him to his brother but you from what i have seen

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

no one in this thread equated him to his brother but you from what i have seen
    Blanket statement Lucifer.

Steming out of the question of Staal for Sharpe.

And further more..."I Just don't like this Staal Brother" does not translate to "I don't think this Staal Brother is as good as any of the other Staal Brothers". It may suggest that I like another Staal better, but that wasn't the point. "I just don't like this Staal Brother"...could mean, I just don't like Jordan Staal as a fantasy asset. I don't feel he's as valuable as other people and if it weren't for his last name, he woudn't garner the attention that he gets.

A) I Made it clear that I didn't think like this trade...and then
    B) I made the statement that I feel Many people "in general", over value Jordan Staal because of his last name. Not necessarily in this thread, but in general. You may not agree with me, but that's how I feel

This is not the first time or first thread that I have stated that I don't understand why certain people value Jordan Staal from a fantasy perspective.

Maybe this statement belonged in "General Hockey Talk" and not in a thread about Staal for Sharpe.

But whatever. You're simply mistaken in your interpretation of my message. Maybe I"m to blame for it, but regardless, you're interpretation of my message is incorrect.
    Last edited by havanablast21; March 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Again, not to lose sight of the question...by my count

5 people would NOT trade their Sharpe for J. Staal
    2 people would take Sharpe over Staal over 1-2 years...Staal 3 years down the road..

Lucifer, if we can look past all this irrelevant banter, I'm still not sure of your stance on the actual question...Would you trade Sharpe for Staal?