Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: New Pope

Dobber Sports Star

There is no doubt that the history of the Papacy has been filled with controversy and corruption. I believe the Vatican to be one of the most powerful organizations in the world, and their world importance needs to be recognized, even if you aren't Catholic and don't agree with the church. I personally am an atheist, but watch on with fascination and I am eager to see how this pans out.

One thing that I think is important to point out, is that Pope Francis has been extremely critical of the current state of the church, and has criticized the cover-ups and corruption that is so prevalent now. He might be the perfect candidate to begin the daunting task of cleaning up a church which is in shambles.

While the Catholic Church has been filled with controversy, I also think it is important to point that they have also been responsible for incredible acts of compassion and aid to humanity. I am not suggesting that the horrific horrors that they have contributed should be excused because of the good they have done, but I do think that it isn't as black and white as saying that Catholosism is evil to the core.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Icon

best pope ever = Pope John Paul I - Albino Luciani

Was about to make some serious changes in the church and more then likely try to remove some of the key, yet hypocritical leaders such as Paul Marcinkus.

Died mysterious 33 days later......hmmmm

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    There is no doubt that the history of the Papacy has been filled with controversy and corruption. I believe the Vatican to be one of the most powerful organizations in the world, and their world importance needs to be recognized, even if you aren't Catholic and don't agree with the church. I personally am an atheist, but watch on with fascination and I am eager to see how this pans out.

One thing that I think is important to point out, is that Pope Francis has been extremely critical of the current state of the church, and has criticized the cover-ups and corruption that is so prevalent now. He might be the perfect candidate to begin the daunting task of cleaning up a church which is in shambles.

While the Catholic Church has been filled with controversy, I also think it is important to point that they have also been responsible for incredible acts of compassion and aid to humanity. I am not suggesting that the horrific horrors that they have contributed should be excused because of the good they have done, but I do think that it isn't as black and white as saying that Catholosism is evil to the core.

Rylant
    I'm not saying that Catholicism is evil to the core. Its leadership is. There are droves of good, kind catholics around the world, but the leadership is corrupt and has been for a loooooong time.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    best pope ever = Pope John Paul I - Albino Luciani

Was about to make some serious changes in the church and more then likely try to remove some of the key, yet hypocritical leaders such as Paul Marcinkus.

Died mysterious 33 days later......hmmmm
    he was poisoned by archbishop gilday

Dobber Sports Genius

That makes more sense as to what your argument is now Dakkster. Yes, the papacy has had some very rough times. JP II was the last great Pope and he openly came out and apologized for the atrocities that took place during the multiple Crusades.

Benedict was a Pope who cared, but stepped down, because he realized he wasn't the guy to correct the direction the Church is in. Hopefully, Francis can do some good. Sure he has different ideas on the issues of gay marriage and contraceptives, but if they work to help the poor, the sick, and the others that are completely missed by humanity as a whole that need help, then that's something good.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    Their defense of contraception is one I don't quite understand myself. I know it was written by a pope back in the day when Europe was ravaged by war and it was to help repopulate Europe afterwards. The idea comes from verse "be fruitfrul and multiply" and the other half of the issue is that they believe then they are limiting what could be God's will for them if they take the issue of birth into their own hands, so to speak.

I don't think the full argument for them justice, but that's the gist from what I remember.
    It's because the Catholic Church basically states semen is for all intents and purposes a child and therefore contraceptives are essentially a form of abortion. Also the reason why playing the willy fiddle is considered a sin.

Edit: pulled this relevant section for Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christi..._contraception

In 1997, the Vatican's Pontifical Council for the Family stated:
    "The Church has always taught the intrinsic evil of contraception, that is, of every marital act intentionally rendered unfruitful. This teaching is to be held as definitive and irreformable. Contraception is gravely opposed to marital chastity; it is contrary to the good of the transmission of life (the procreative aspect of matrimony), and to the reciprocal self-giving of the spouses (the unitive aspect of matrimony); it harms true love and denies the sovereign role of God in the transmission of human life."[21]
    Last edited by wendelclark17; March 13, 2013 at 6:39 PM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    I'm not saying that Catholicism is evil to the core. Its leadership is. There are droves of good, kind catholics around the world, but the leadership is corrupt and has been for a loooooong time.
    this is true of virtually every organization and institution created by men

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    It's because the Catholic Church basically states semen is for all intents and purposes a child and therefore contraceptives are essentially a form of abortion. Also the reason why playing the willy fiddle is considered a sin.
    wow semen w/o an egg to fertilize is a child

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah, I've never heard them refer semen to a child myself and I don't think that's accurate.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP

G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Ninja

'Fun' fact: In Uganda & South Africa the culture in a lot of places actually see the use of contraceptives as akin to death. That was actually a topic that I studied in my Global Health class...pretty interesting stuff.

It's hard to break through cultural and religious barriers that have been in place for ages. It's a sad truth, and even though it seems stupid to some of us, we have to have some cultural sensitivity or things won't change anyway because a lack of cultural sensitivity builds resentment.

Dobber Sports Icon

Yeah, I've never heard them refer semen to a child myself
    Oh man...was that intentional?
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Oh man...was that intentional?
    Bahahanahaha

Dobber Sports Veteran

You know why the Canadian guy didn't get it? They found this photo:

http://twitter.yfrog.com/oeuv9ddzj

Dobber Sports Guru

Yeah, I've never heard them refer semen to a child myself and I don't think that's accurate.
    I was paraphrasing using my own words but any sexual act has the possibility of turning into a child according to the CC. So essentially semen = possible life, and not using it in the creation of life is a sin.

Dobber Sports Genius

I could see them having that reasoning. I guess if we ask what is the basis of life then potentially any living cell could be and if semen moves and is hunting down eggs, I suppose they could have a valid argument there, but it's not a child, yet.

RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP

G-Holtby, Halak