Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nyquist recalled from AHL

Dobber Sports Pro

I hope Babcock commits to what he said, and keeps Nyquist up.
    He went on an absurd little ramble the other day, here's some gems:
    “We sent him to Peoria to play the game last night, gave him a six-hour bus ride,'' coach Mike Babcock said. “Let him sleep for a bit and we’ll let him play tonight, see how mentally tough he is. That’s all part of the training to be a Red Wing.”

Funny, Brunner didn't have to do that. :\ Not sure it's training all red wings endure.

“He’s led everywhere he’s ever played in scoring. The problem with the NHL is you have to come up and grab hold of something. "

Can't help but wonder what Abdelkader grabbed a hold of to get a top 6 spot by Datsyuk for large parts of the season, but hey. Babs' call in the end.

“So, if you’re Gus and you get in there tonight and you do great things, guess what happens?'' Babcock said. “I think Cal Ripken played shortstop for 22 straight years, or something like that, didn’t he?

Ah Babcock. He even said that Gus was a "real good" player.
    Of course, Danny Cleary is apparently a "RealGood" player too, so I'm not sure exactly how much of a compliment that is. :P

But I do believe he should keep his word. Let's see if he does...Tatar was one of Detroit's better players before being sent down, not sure what Babock's word will really mean.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by lockedge View Post
    I hope Babcock commits to what he said, and keeps Nyquist up.
    He went on an absurd little ramble the other day, here's some gems:
    “We sent him to Peoria to play the game last night, gave him a six-hour bus ride,'' coach Mike Babcock said. “Let him sleep for a bit and we’ll let him play tonight, see how mentally tough he is. That’s all part of the training to be a Red Wing.”

Funny, Brunner didn't have to do that. :\ Not sure it's training all red wings endure.

“He’s led everywhere he’s ever played in scoring. The problem with the NHL is you have to come up and grab hold of something. "

Can't help but wonder what Abdelkader grabbed a hold of to get a top 6 spot by Datsyuk for large parts of the season, but hey. Babs' call in the end.

“So, if you’re Gus and you get in there tonight and you do great things, guess what happens?'' Babcock said. “I think Cal Ripken played shortstop for 22 straight years, or something like that, didn’t he?

Ah Babcock. He even said that Gus was a "real good" player.
    Of course, Danny Cleary is apparently a "RealGood" player too, so I'm not sure exactly how much of a compliment that is. :P

But I do believe he should keep his word. Let's see if he does...Tatar was one of Detroit's better players before being sent down, not sure what Babock's word will really mean.

A few things to address here. I wasn't impressed with Nyquist in the game last night in my opinion, he made a few good plays and his goal. He had a one on one with a defenseman and to me, it looked like he didn't know what to do and wasnt decisive. It made the play look amateur to me.

Applecutter, is a different situation. He is a grind it out player and if we have learned anything from the Wings, they love those type of players on the top line. How long did Holmstrom stay on the top line and produce at a low level? He got some goal important goals sure and he was the tip in and redirection master but I don't seem him having anymore talent than Abdelkader.

Brunner was already paired up with Zetterberg in the Swedish league(where ever they were playing) and you don't really need to have another trial period for a guy already producing on a line with the team captain. I'm sure Zetts had Brunner locked up before they even started the season.

DId Tatar look good, absolutely. Do I think he should stay with the team and leave Nyquist down? For sure. Do I trust Red Wings Management of players. Shit yea. My opinion means nothing except the Wings have proven they handle players well.
    Last edited by Gaborlick; March 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Guru

heres a clip of his goal from last night

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...20122013,2,439

beauty move and he showed some wheels there too!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I think Nyquist and Tatar should be up with the wings full time right now.. They both seem to have what it takes..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Yeah, but Holland needs to dump some bodies first. I think he's hesitant to waive guys and lose people like they lost Quincey back when he went a bit nutty for LA after Detroit chose to keep Derek Meech instead.
    GO WINGS!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Yeah, but Holland needs to dump some bodies first. I think he's hesitant to waive guys and lose people like they lost Quincey back when he went a bit nutty for LA after Detroit chose to keep Derek Meech instead.
    I guess if Filppula is moved, this may pave the way for one of these youngsters.. Dan Cleary is also a UFA in the summer.. Bertuzzi still has 1 year left on his contract, but he's 37 and doesn't have too much left..

Both these 2 will be in the lineup very soon..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

They need Filppula around, especially because of the rumors about Datsyuk only playing one more year in the NHL. It's way more likely that the bottom six scrubs get shipped out for whatever they can fetch. Guys like Miller, Eaves and Samuelsson.
    GO WINGS!

Wow that would suck for the Wings if Datsyuk left.. He's only 33, why would he leave??

Can't Bertuzzi leave instead?? HAHA..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

There was a thread or two about it this past week. Basically Datsyuk really got a taste for playing in mother Russia (where his daughter is) during the lockout and he'd like to go out healthy from the NHL. He's won the Stanley Cup and would like to play in front of friends and family some more, according to a source very close to a bunch of Detroit players who skate together, one of them Datsyuk. So it's not an Eklund level rumor, but rather something that at least I think should be taken seriously. But who knows... either way, Detroit can't afford to gamble at this point.
    GO WINGS!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    There was a thread or two about it this past week. Basically Datsyuk really got a taste for playing in mother Russia (where his daughter is) during the lockout and he'd like to go out healthy from the NHL. He's won the Stanley Cup and would like to play in front of friends and family some more, according to a source very close to a bunch of Detroit players who skate together, one of them Datsyuk. So it's not an Eklund level rumor, but rather something that at least I think should be taken seriously. But who knows... either way, Detroit can't afford to gamble at this point.
    The Wings should move all his friends and family to Detroit for the next 5-6 years, HAHAHA..

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Gaborlick View Post
    A few things to address here. I wasn't impressed with Nyquist in the game last night in my opinion, he made a few good plays and his goal. He had a one on one with a defenseman and to me, it looked like he didn't know what to do and wasnt decisive. It made the play look amateur to me.

Applecutter, is a different situation. He is a grind it out player and if we have learned anything from the Wings, they love those type of players on the top line. How long did Holmstrom stay on the top line and produce at a low level? He got some goal important goals sure and he was the tip in and redirection master but I don't seem him having anymore talent than Abdelkader.

Brunner was already paired up with Zetterberg in the Swedish league(where ever they were playing) and you don't really need to have another trial period for a guy already producing on a line with the team captain. I'm sure Zetts had Brunner locked up before they even started the season.

DId Tatar look good, absolutely. Do I think he should stay with the team and leave Nyquist down? For sure. Do I trust Red Wings Management of players. Shit yea. My opinion means nothing except the Wings have proven they handle players well.
    Oh, I understand. Abdelkader's the kind of guy the Wings like (and I think he can be valuable to the team for sure), it's just that if you look at what babs is saying, he's being kind of a hypocrite. By that logic, nyquist "grabbed something" last season and shouldn't have had to grab anything this year, if Abs, Cleary, etc. didn't.
    And since Danny F'ing Cleary hasn't grabbed a hold of anything pretty much all year long, you'd think Gus would be taking his spot more often than he has (he hasn't at all, really).

I know that Holland signed a bunch of guys, they have extra contracts, they legitimately can't keep the kids up on the Wings. So why even suggest that they could stick (and make such a ridiculous cal ripken reference) when they obviously can't, and aren't getting the opportunity to?

Babcock just frustrates me, sometimes, and I wish he'd just stop mincing words. Tell the kids they didn't even have a chance when the season started, but that they'd get time in as injury replacements to show their stuff and try to understand the speed of the NHL, and that perhaps next year they'll both be up. I seriously hope they've had that discussion.

I think the wings need some offense to lighten the load off Dats and Zetterberg, but there's nothing escept inconsistent Filppula and inconsistent Brunner to help. No team...no team needs to ice Cleary, Abdelkader, Miller, Tootoo, Emmerton, and Andersson. And Eaves would have been in there instead of Gus if he was healthy. I mean, i get that Samuelsson (not that he'd likely be any better), Helm and Bertuzzi are injured, but if some of the guys you were relying on for offense go down with injuries, you try to replace that offense by brining in someone who can provide it, not Drew Miller or Danny Cleary and his injury that he's playing through but selfishly won't go to the IR in order to make the team better.

Tatar played well. He deserves to be up there. Andersson...I thought his first few games were pretty poor aside from winning faceoffs, yet he stuck (and I think he's improved as the season's gone on). Nyquist has has the odd game here or there and hasn't been able to establish a rhythm, which is hard enough to do when your linemate is Danny Cleary, and often Andersson. Tatar at least was able to play with Andersson and Eaves, who is at least healthy. I'd say Tatar's first 5 games were better than Nyquist's first 5, but Tatar got to play 5 games in short succession, get acclimated. Nyquist played once jan 22nd, once Feb 15th, 2 games on march 13th and 15th, and now he's back here on the 20th...and yeah, he's still looking average, but he's producing, when he's allowed to play.

I don't see why they can't sit a vet to give these kids some consistent playing time. It's obvious that the wings are in a re-stocking period, getting more youth on their team. It's time to play that youth, let them grow. There is such a thing as an over-ripe prospect. Nyquist and Tatar have proven all they can down in the A, they need time to adjust to the speed of the NHL. They can't get that if they're playing spot duty in the bigs and spending the rest down in the AHL.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

PROSPECTS

Dobber Sports Immortal

Tatar may have only been more impressive because his 5 games were 1,2,3,4,5 in a row....Nyquist played one in Jan, one in Feb and three in a row so far ....

I hear ya with the Cleary and Abdelkader comments though..it's quite frustrating. I do have to say they're more trying to rebulid on the fly and not a true rebuild like say....Edmonton (who still suck)...

Babcock has his ways. He wants a big body on a line with Pavel and Zetterberg all of the time, hence Abdelkader and Cleary (or Bertuzzi when healthy). It's always been that way and right now Im not sure I agree with the stubborness.....because they're clearly struggling to score.

Im pumped Im finally not working for a stretch so I'll be able to watch both Wings' games vs the Ducks this weekend.

Dobber Sports Pro

Well...I wish your wings luck against the ducks. They'll need it. Maybe Miller can do something in the top 6...maybe the Emmerton-Eaves-Nyquist line won't be a black hole.

Would have been nice to keep nyquist with familiar company, keeping him with Andersson and having brunner around might have been interesting. Alas...

Well, either way, I came out of last season hoping Nyquist would have a decent shot, and after this offseason, I figured he'd have a 30% of sticking. I just hope that % increases over this offseason, and Tatar can get in as well.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

PROSPECTS

Dobber Sports Sage

ESPN just gave Nyquist RW. TY very much. Now let's work on Marcus Johansson,
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by lockedge View Post
    Well...I wish your wings luck against the ducks. They'll need it. Maybe Miller can do something in the top 6...maybe the Emmerton-Eaves-Nyquist line won't be a black hole.

Would have been nice to keep nyquist with familiar company, keeping him with Andersson and having brunner around might have been interesting. Alas...

Well, either way, I came out of last season hoping Nyquist would have a decent shot, and after this offseason, I figured he'd have a 30% of sticking. I just hope that % increases over this offseason, and Tatar can get in as well.
    didn't watch the game last night but wow. Abdelkader would get a hat trick wouldnt he lol..

There is so much concern on the Wings, especially now that P Dat has announced his impending retirement for next season.. I hope he changes his mind or that was just a crazy rumor. I'm sure he knows the Wings aren't winning a cup in the next two-three years....

I agree it is hard to keep guys up when you have so many "vets" that eat up roster space. What happens when Helm comes back? Babs said he is one of his 4 four offensive players.. WTF is that...

I liked Nyquist last season, I thought he looked really good and should have stuck with the team. Tatar was looking really good this year and I thought he should have stayed up.

I don't like cleary either. I think his time is done in the NHL. I bet Andersson goes down when Helm comes back...
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.