Thread: the hype on turris

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default the hype on turris

Alright you crazy hockey nuts out there......I have Turris on my team and Im going to keep him. However im disappointed that in his past 2 games he didnt post any points. His minutes and shots on goal were pretty good and if the team continues to give him those minutes into next year it will do him good im sure. But zero points, I would have thought that with the adrenalin rush of starting in the NHL and being on the top line, and being on the powerplay that he would have atleast registered an assist already. Im pretty convinced that he wont be getting 60 - 65 points next year at all, probably wont win the calder trophy either. Although I still believe he will be a fantastic point producer down the road. Its obvious he needs to fill out his frame with muscle. His progress will be that of Phil kessel--2 years in the nhl and no major impact(looks good, but no impact yet) How long did Daniel Briere take?!?Im thinking 4-5 years down the road for this youngter to actually make an impact.
    My Football Pool
    12 team keeper league . Protect 5 .
    Start 1qb,2rb,2wr,1te,1k
    Draft 15 rounds
    TD ONLY. td worth six points . Standard points for kicker.

Andrew Luck, MEGATRON, Dez Bryant, Lamar Miller, Doug Martin

My hockey pool - standard points 1 pnt goal/assist
    Start 12 F , 6D, 2G 1pnt goalie win/5 per shutout
    Keep any combo of 20
    15 reserves

Dobber Sports Ace

He\'s jumping into the best league in the world at a time where the most important hockey is being played for a lot of teams. This is more about giving him a taste, I don\'t think serious production should have been anticipated for these games.
    20 team h2h (multi-cat) dynasty league, 1st season
    C: Getzlaf, MacKinnon, Eakin, Backlund, Schroeder, Bjugstad, Miller, Gaustad
    LW: M Foligno, Wilson, Tatar, Bailey, Palat
    RW: Ovechkin, Voracek, Frattin, Coyle, Clutterbuck
    D: Barrie, Del Zotto, Brodin, Vatanen, Gudas, Donovan, Murphy, Hamonic, Grossmann, Michalek
    G: Pavelec, Schneider, Enroth

Dobber Sports Initiate

If you\'re going to be so short sighted and judge next year based on these last two games I\'d probably pencil him in higher than 65 because he was buzzing offensively in game 1 and almost potted 2g\'s...

That said, I wouldn\'t base much at all on these few games. As above, it\'s a taste of the big league for him to know what he\'s in for through the summer.

Personally I think he\'s a little overhyped, has been for a while. But I also think he\'s gonna be very solid and post big numbers. He also has a ton of pressure on him.

Turris plays a much different game than Kessel, and with Doan crashing the net and Mueller making plays Turris can set up in the slot and hashmarks for his quick release snapshot and put up good numbers right away.
    Kessel, needs to bulk up, and continue to learn the pace of the game and develop confidence before he can use his creativity to reach his potential. Also Kessel can be a bit of a one man show and that very rarely works in the NHL. Turris has much less selfish hockey sense, so I don\'t think they are a good comparison.
    "I mean technically, I could say that every defender's upside is 80 points and never 'lose my house.'"
    - lanky 522

Dobber Sports Pro

Corv wrote:
    Alright you crazy hockey nuts out there......I have Turris on my team and Im going to keep him. However im disappointed that in his past 2 games he didnt post any points. His minutes and shots on goal were pretty good and if the team continues to give him those minutes into next year it will do him good im sure. But zero points, I would have thought that with the adrenalin rush of starting in the NHL and being on the top line, and being on the powerplay that he would have atleast registered an assist already. Im pretty convinced that he wont be getting 60 - 65 points next year at all, probably wont win the calder trophy either. Although I still believe he will be a fantastic point producer down the road. Its obvious he needs to fill out his frame with muscle. His progress will be that of Phil kessel--2 years in the nhl and no major impact(looks good, but no impact yet) How long did Daniel Briere take?!?Im thinking 4-5 years down the road for this youngter to actually make an impact.
    I\'m thinking a modest 45 upside next year. Mueller\'s taking the top line and running with it. He\'s proven he can, and there\'d be no need to rush Turris with Mueller performing as is. He\'ll 2nd and 3rd line it in the NHL, or run in the AHL and dominate for a year.
    You might be right. I\'m not sure he\'s going to pull a Stastny, or maybe even a Mueller, but His first three years will probably be like:
    Year 1: 35-45
    Year 2: 50-60
    Year 3: 70+
    He seems to be able to adapt well in any scenario, and that\'ll do wonders for his maturation as a player. He\'s got one hell of a head on his shoulders.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Initiate

lockedge wrote:

I\'m thinking a modest 45 upside next year. Mueller\'s taking the top line and running with it. He\'s proven he can, and there\'d be no need to rush Turris with Mueller performing as is. He\'ll 2nd and 3rd line it in the NHL, or run in the AHL and dominate for a year.
    You might be right. I\'m not sure he\'s going to pull a Stastny, or maybe even a Mueller, but His first three years will probably be like:
    Year 1: 35-45
    Year 2: 50-60
    Year 3: 70+
    He seems to be able to adapt well in any scenario, and that\'ll do wonders for his maturation as a player. He\'s got one hell of a head on his shoulders.
    Phoenix will do anything they can to get Mueller and Turris playing together and developing chemistry, these are their big two franchise players, no way they want to split them up right now.
    "I mean technically, I could say that every defender's upside is 80 points and never 'lose my house.'"
    - lanky 522

Dobber Sports Prodigy

As a Turris owner twice over I am fully on board the Turris bandwagon and handing out snacks, but now because of this original post, I am now rethinking my whole life.

Perhaps I have been caught up in too much hype and blind to the reality that Turris might have a slower build up to his 80+ upside in the NHL. I\'m not emotionally prepared to wait 2-3 years for my 70-80 pts!

I wonder if he were to stay at Wisconsin for another year of lifting weights and bopping unviersity hotties if he would have a more immediate impact in the NHL and avoided the possiblity of the dreaded 4th-year-breakout-pattern of young players...
    10 TEAM PTS ONLY: KEEP 8FOR, 4DEF, 1GOAL, 4ROOK, DRAFT 7.
    FOR: H Sedin, D Sedin, Kopitar, B Richards, E Staal, J Staal, Flash, Versteeg, Elias, Marleau Kesler
    DEF: K Letang, Yandle, B Campbell, D Boyle, MA Bergeron, D Hamhius
    GOAL: Price, Rinne
    ROOK: Stefan Elliott, Rundblad, Ryan Murphy, J Schroeder

***BACK 2 BACK CHAMP***

Dobber Sports Novice

I think the 3 game trial will do ,ore for his off season preparation for the pro level than another year at Wisconsin. He get coaching and know exactly what he needs to work on over the summer to be ready for training camp.

Dobber Sports Guru

all i know is that you should never underestimate the effect an NHL-caliber training program can have over a summer

Dobber Sports Stud

I consider that his development is faster than projected. As I recall it was expected that he would be in college hockey for two years before making the transition to the NHL. Phoenix do not want to rush him along but also want to give him some exposure. He is still a kid playing amongst men. You don\'t need him going down to significant injury but he is still lacking size. His skill set is not an issue. His training program will see him bulk up. He will be fine.

Dobber Sports Novice

Turris will win Rookie of the year, when you look clutch up in the dictionary, there is a picture of Kyle.