Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: O'Reilly Offer Sheet By Flames Matched by Avs

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Doesn't appear to have helped Stastny so far this yr...he hasn't been there all year and Stastny's game hasn't improved from last yr.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    The Ryan O'verrated-Riley sweepstakes can come to an end, finally. Please don't match, Colorado. Take the Flames lottery pick and draft someone who has leaps and bounds more of an upside.

This is more proof on why the Flames will continue to be the laughing stock of the NHL and a lowly basement franchise for the next 5 years.

The kid bitched because a true captain and leader in Landeskog... became the team captain. The closest O'verrated will ever come to Gabriel as far as skill goes was when he was playing on the same ice surface. You're not Lindors. You're worth about $2 million per year.

I hope this kid rots and he does absolute s**t.
    I agree with you 100%. 6.5 mill for a guy scored 18 goals? No thanks. Let Calgary have him.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Oh my God Feaster...facepalm.

Avs management just opened up a bottle of Champagne.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by baumer View Post
    I agree with you 100%. 6.5 mill for a guy scored 18 goals? No thanks. Let Calgary have him.
    Agreed. The Flames seriously need to stop making idiotic decisions like this. They're going to be worse than Columbus before long. 6.5 mil for one halfway decent season is ludicrous.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Master

Am I the only one who finds the following kind of funny:

P.K. Subban - dynamic talent, but people question his character
    Puts up 74 points in the past 2 yrs playing D
    Signs 2 yr deal for AAV of 2.8mil after a short hold out

Ryan O'Reilly - may not have elite skills, but is a character guy
    Puts up 81 pts (7 more than PK) in past 2 yrs at C
    Holds out for more money, has dad fire weird letter to Denver paper, is apparently pissed about not being made captain... signs offer sheet from division rival for 5mil AAV.

I dunno, funny how reputations get established isn't it?
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Wow... At first glance this seems really short sighted. I seriously am starting to believe Calgary loves being mired in bad situations. Complete inability to face reality that they need a smart rebuild. 6.5 mill in the second season for O'Reilly? That is Sedin type money. Doesn't seem like this move will put the Flames into playoff contention, even considering the annual late season push by the Flames.
    Last edited by msb; February 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM.
    Hockey
    12 Team Yahoo H2H standard scoring 1 year
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G
    G,A, PPP, SHP, Shots, +/-, W, L, Shutout

To be drafted.

Football
    10 team league. Standard Yahoo scoring. (Non PPR)
    Start 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex (WR/RB/TE) 1K, 1DEF, 1 defensive player

QBs: Wilson, Manning
    WR:V. Jackson, Patterson, Benjamin, Cooks
    RB: J. Charles, A. Morris, D. Martin, K. Davis, K. Robinson
    TE: Gronkowski, Cameron
    K: Novak
    DEF: Steelers
    IDP:Worrilow

Quote Originally Posted by msb View Post
    Wow... At first glance this seems really short sighted. I seriously am starting to believe loves to be mired in bad situations. Complete inability to face reality that they need a rebuild. 6.5 mill in the second season for O'Reilly? That is Sedin type money.
    They only care about cap hit - fortunately or unfortunately. Just today Ted Black was praising Regier for the Ehrhoff signing and its $4 mil cap hit - completely failing to mention the front loaded $15 mil in the first two years.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by msb View Post
    Wow... At first glance this seems really short sighted. I seriously am starting to believe loves to be mired in bad situations. Complete inability to face reality that they need a rebuild. 6.5 mill in the second season for O'Reilly? That is Sedin type money.
    Actually 400k more than Henrik will be paid next year... sooo
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Does Calgary employ a cap-ologist? If so, does his calculator need batteries?

This will put them within 11mil of the cap for next year with no Iginla, no back-up for Kipper and guys like Cervenka, Backlund and Brodie needing new deals...

5mil is too much for O'Reilly with the cap dropping... but as someone mentioned earlier, he does bring character so there's that.

Also, aren't they concerned about him fitting in with the locker room? When the majority of Calgary's players start discussing the good old days of VCRs, rotary phones and leaded gasoline won't he feel like an out-cast?

The only way this makes sense to me is if the Flames fire-sale some vets and do a hard rebuild. Any Flames fans care to chime in on the odds of that?
    Loch, that's a really good point man. Calgary's gonna be in trouble next year... A 1st and a 3rd is too much considering how deep the draft will be next year. 11M in cap room is gonna leave them real tight. What happens if he plays out his year next year and takes off to another team. All those picks are wasted. Not a smart move.

Dobber Sports Padawan

If we want to talk about character, why not look at a guy like Jonathan Toews? There aren't many players who are a better mix of character and skill than Toews, and his cap hit is 6.3 mil. Yes, it was signed under the previous CBA, but this is the first year since the lockout where the cap is going to fall, and everybody KNOWS it's going to fall. Anybody think this kid is worth that kind of money? Really? Obviously different situations, but this is ridiculous for a guy who has done next to nothing to warrant that kind of paycheck.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

I merged the two threads on this topic...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

The money only matters if it is yours. Otherwise it is a 5 million dollar cap hit.

He will need to work his way up to be worth it but it is only a two year deal. Considering Calgary doesn't even have a guy who would be a second line centre on most teams I can see this gamble from their point of view. If it doesn't work out, the new GM can worry about it.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    also I would trade a Top 5 pick for Oreilly anyway
    some say in a redraft he would go top 3 (if you redrafted his draft year based on what you now know)
    Keep4+rookie under 150gp (14 teams): G,A,+/-,PIM,SHP,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW, W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO [Keepers: E Staal, Parise, Backes, Malkin, (R) Desharnais]

- Some people are like slinkies, they don't seem to have a purpose but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs... -

Dobber Sports Ninja

I hate Feaster and the Flames, but I really like this move and wish the Oilers had the nuts to make a move to address THEIR own team needs instead of catering to the "old guard" collusion sucking greedy pig dog owners. It's bidness.

I compare this a little to when Ryan Kesler was signed to an offer sheet by Philly way, way back after the 2005-06 season. At the time it was considered absolutely criminal for a team to sign a player to an offer sheet. The amounts were much, much smaller and the term was only one year, but the impact is similar.

Kesler was 22 coming off of his 2nd season, the best was the 05-06 season where he scored 23 points in 82 games. O'Reilly is 22 coming off his 3rd season with back to back 26 point years and a huge uptick to 55 points in his 3rd year. Both players bring the intangibles and a two way acumen. Who doesn't think Kesler is worth his weight in gold now? Seasons of 73 and 75 points and tough to play against. These are the guys that should get the money, not those steenking eurotrash floaters who play awesome one day, then take a week off trying to catch butterflies at center hice.

For purely selfish reasons, I want to see the Avs match because I don't want ROR to be a Flamer.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post
    Considering Calgary doesn't even have a guy who would be a second line centre on most teams I can see this gamble from their point of view. If it doesn't work out, the new GM can worry about it.
    That was my take on it too. I get it. Dunno if it will work out, but I get it.
    @SmittysRant