Thread: Is King Henrik an upgrade over Mike Smith? Will Help In Return

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Is King Henrik an upgrade over Mike Smith? Will Help In Return

12 Teams, One Year League, H2H Categories(Goals, Assists, Points, PP Points, SOG, Hots, Shot Blocks, Wins, GAA, SV%). It's a daily league so pretty much your entire roster is active and multi-position guys are petty useful, 4 required goalie starts per week as well. We start 3 of each forward positions and 5 d-men.

My Team

Centers: B.Richards, Backstrom, J.Staal(also LW), Huberdeau
    Left Wing: Landeskog, E.Kane, Pacioretty, Doan(also RW), D.Brown(also RW)
    Right Wing: Perry, Gaborik, Callahan, Hornqvist
    D: Phaneuf, Boyle, Burns, Bogosian, J.Johnson
    G: Price, Smith, Fasth

The offer:

I give up Jordan Staal and Mike Smith
    for
    Justin Williams and Henrik Lundqvist

Thanks in advance for all the help and I'd be happy to answer yours in return!
    Last edited by NUCKER101; February 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Ok. Either you have edited it, or I have read it wrong, which is possible as I have been staring at this screen for hours... I say yes to any trade that has you landing Lundqvist personally. Smith is great, but he's not Lundy. Take it and try to find a better replacement than Williams for Staal off the WW. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Plumley; February 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM.
    CBSSports -13 Team/1 Year Roto $$$

F - Duchene, Gallagher, Desharnais, Lehtera, Nyquist, Kopitar, Palat, JVR, Stewart, Gaudreau, Kadri, Downie
    D - Kieth, Lindholm, Doughty, Edler, Borowiecki, Dillon, Klingberg
    G- Lundqvist, Bobrovsky, Raanta, Vasilevskiy

Categories - G's, A's, PPP's, PIM's, +-, G.AA, Sv Pct, Goalie Wins
    10 Forwards, 7 Defense, 2 Goalies - all play Daily / 3 Bench
    1 IR slot
    1 Keeper

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Plumley View Post
    While Lundy is an upgrade over Smith, Staal is seemingly more important to your overall categories, than Just Williams. In any event, I don't move Lundy for Smith here. I say no. You have the offer listed as Staal and Smith for Williams and Lundy, but your roster says you have Lundy, not Smith. Just a typo I assume? If the offer is your Lundy and Staal for his Williams and Smith, I say no way.

I'm leaning towards no myself, but what had me tempted was jsut looking at the recent career averages of all the players and Williams/Lundqvist should outperform Staal and Smith from here on out if all 4 players have similar seasons as they have recently. Kind of a law of averages type of deal if you get where I'm coming from. It's a tough call though since Staal's the one player in a new situation and he might even continue his PPG pace. Thanks for catching that error!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Ya I think the difference between Staal and Williams is more important to you than the upgrade in Lundy. This is a very forward dominated league by the looks of it so I'd stick with what you have.
    18 team ESPN h2h league
    categories: g, a, +/-, pim, sog, ppp, hits, blk
    w, so, gaa, sv%
    5F, 3D, 1 Util, 3 bench,

Tavares, Duchene, Backes, Michalek, Simmonds, Filppula, Conacher, Silfverberg

Chara, Edler, Girardi

Quick
    Thomas

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by laurier51 View Post
    Ya I think the difference between Staal and Williams is more important to you than the upgrade in Lundy. This is a very forward dominated league by the looks of it so I'd stick with what you have.

Thanks! I was thinking of countering with Pacioretty or Huberdeau instead of Staal.

Quote Originally Posted by NUCKER101 View Post
    I'm leaning towards no myself, but what had me tempted was jsut looking at the recent career averages of all the players and Williams/Lundqvist should outperform Staal and Smith from here on out if all 4 players have similar seasons as they have recently. Kind of a law of averages type of deal if you get where I'm coming from. It's a tough call though since Staal's the one player in a new situation and he might even continue his PPG pace. Thanks for catching that error!
    Not a problem. I have changed my post now. I will copy and paste my new reply here.

Ok. Either you have edited it, or I have read it wrong, which is possible as I have been staring at this screen for hours... I say yes to any trade that has you landing Lundqvist personally. Smith is great, but he's not Lundy. Take it and try to find a better replacement than Williams for Staal off the WW. Hope this helps.

F - Duchene, Gallagher, Desharnais, Lehtera, Nyquist, Kopitar, Palat, JVR, Stewart, Gaudreau, Kadri, Downie

1 IR slot
    1 Keeper

Dobber Sports Novice

Not a problem. I have changed my post now. I will copy and paste my new reply here.

No worries, sorry for the confusion! The best players available are Andy McDonald(was thinking of dropping Hornqvist for him atually), Stephen Weiss, Martin Hanzal, Cam Atkinson, Brandon Dubinsky and a lot of 3rd line type of players.

Quote Originally Posted by NUCKER101 View Post
    No worries, sorry for the confusion! The best players available are Andy McDonald(was thinking of dropping Hornqvist for him atually), Stephen Weiss, Martin Hanzal, Cam Atkinson, Brandon Dubinsky and a lot of 3rd line type of players.
    I like McDonald the most there.

1 IR slot
    1 Keeper

Dobber Sports Novice

I think your losing alot of forward catagories to improve your wins column, your goaltending is already rock solid. He seems like more of a want than a need for your team, but it's understandable to want him.

I wouldn'd do it.

As laurier mentioned, I think the difference between Staal and Williams is much bigger than Smith and Lundquist. If this was a keeper, it would be a tougher decision for me. But since it's a one year, you have solid goaltending already in Price and Smith (and even Fasth), and your cats are skater-heavy, I wouldn't do the trade.

Good luck!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I wouldnt do it either. Your goaltending is solid enough.
    12 Team CBS Dynasty League
    Rotisseie Scoring Cats: +/-, A, G, PIM, PPPTS, SHOG, SOG, Hits, GAA, SPct, W

Team:

C: Mackinnon, Anisimov, Kesler, Kuznetsov, H.Sedin, Scheifele, Bonino, Marchessault, Perreault, Dano
    W: Burakovsky, Hornqvist, Kucherov, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Tatar, Atkinson
    D: Beaulieu, Josi, Martinez, Muzzin, Sekera, Stralman, Borowiecki, Ceci
    G: Bobrovsky, Howard, Domingue, Ward

Prospects: Barzal, Puljujarvi, Rantanen, Vrana, Meier

Start: 4C, 6W, 2Flex, 6D, 2G
    23 Keepers + 5 Prospects

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I wouldn't do it stall is playing too good
    Thanks

12 team h2h one year
    G, A, PIM, SOG,PPP, HIT,FOW, BLK, W, SV%,GAA, SO

F: Ryan Johansen,David Backes, James van Riemsdyk, Max Pacioretty,Jeff Carter, Monahan,David Perron, Brandon Dubinsky
    D: Erik Karlsson,T.J. Brodie,Victor Hedman,Aaron Ekblad
    G: Tuukka Rask, Braden Holtby,J. Bernier
    ir.Patric Hornqvist,

Hey Nucker. I have to say after reading everyones statements here, that I agree with these fine folks. I wanted to man up and apologize for potentially bad advice on my behalf, as I am in Roto leagues and they are very top heavy in Goaltending. You can see that by looking at my team, and our categories.

I have played in head2head leagues before, but my game is roto. In our league, the top 3 spots are always the teams with the best Goalie stats, but that means nothing to you in your situation. Your Goalies are way good enough to keep, and keep Staal along with them. No brainer.

I felt complelled to write this. It's also helpful to learn more from vets that know more about head2head than I do. The one question I must admit that still looms in me is, is there someone in your league that you could smoke for a deal after aquiring Lundy?

For instance, if you were to make that deal, could you target a GM who has awful Goaltending, but maybe has a stifling offensive player such as Ovie, Giroux or Crosby? Makes me wonder. Don't ever underestimate the power of a brand name like Lundqvist.

Is there someone who you could them push off Lundy for say one of the three above mentioned forwards ( or someone like them ) along for a guy maybe like Rask ( or someone like him ) ?. I figured it would be worth asking, and maybe you could go into talks with a GM in your league ithis current situation, that may be desperate.

The question beocomes who would be more valuable? Smith and Staal or say hypothetically speaking, "A Rask and Ovie type deal'? Seems you have the Goalteding already to make that type of move, but that requires a lot of work between now and midnight, and I wouldn't do it unless you lock in a deal after the Staal/ Smith trade.

Good luck. In my thread, I had limited replies. My take is that the names listed are very similar. The injury to McDonagh has complicated the issue. I did notice that M.A. Bergeron is available, and if he stays in the Tampa lineup, he could be exactly what I need. I will paste the link to my thread, hoping to get more feedback.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showthread.php?t=147344
    Last edited by Plumley; February 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM.

1 IR slot
    1 Keeper

Dobber Sports Novice

Hey Nucker. I have to say after reading everyones statements here, that I agree with these fine folks. I wanted to man up and apologize for potentially bad advice on my behalf, as I am in Roto leagues and they are very top heavy in Goaltending. You can see that by looking at my team, and our categories.

I have played in head2head leagues before, but my game is roto. In our league, the top 3 spots are always the teams with the best Goalie stats, but that means nothing to you in your situation. Your Goalies are way good enough to keep, and keep Staal along with them. No brainer.

I felt complelled to write this. It's also helpful to learn more from vets that know more about head2head than I do. The one question I must admit that still looms in me is, is there someone in your league that you could smoke for a deal after aquiring Lundy?

For instance, if you were to make that deal, could you target a GM who has awful Goaltending, but maybe has a stifling offensive player such as Ovie, Giroux or Crosby? Makes me wonder. Don't ever underestimate the power of a brand name like Lundqvist.

Is there someone who you could them push off Lundy for say one of the three above mentioned forwards ( or someone like them ) along for a guy maybe like Rask ( or someone like him ) ?. I figured it would be worth asking, and maybe you could go into talks with a GM in your league ithis current situation, that may be desperate.

The question beocomes who would be more valuable? Smith and Staal or say hypothetically speaking, "A Rask and Ovie type deal'? Seems you have the Goalteding already to make that type of move, but that requires a lot of work between now and midnight, and I wouldn't do it unless you lock in a deal after the Staal/ Smith trade.

Good luck. In my thread, I had limited replies. My take is that the names listed are very similar. The injury to McDonagh has complicated the issue. I did notice that M.A. Bergeron is available, and if he stays in the Tampa lineup, he could be exactly what I need. I will paste the link to my thread, hoping to get more feedback.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showthread.php?t=147344

Wow thanks! I'm new here, I usually just post at the Yahoo forum, but this place is much better for quality advice and I also enjoy looking at other people's questions and answering them if I feel that I can provide some good advice.

Yeah, I declined the trade and am instead looking to actually sell high on Fasth with either Pacioretty or Huberdeau for another good forward. I looked at all of the teams that are doing well so far and it seems like everyone is right, you can get by with mediocre goaltending but having strong skates will win this league so I'll probably look to do the opposite of this trade and give up one of my 3 goalies for another high scoring forward that contributes a bit across the board. Price would be tough for me to move, but I might look to deal Smith and Fasth.

I saw the McDonaugh injury yesterday and it looked pretty bad, talk about tough luck. I agree that Bergeron is interesting in Tampa as long as he's getting some decent ice time and playing regularly, he's one of those players that's much better in fantasy than real life haha.