Thread: Sam Gagner

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Sam Gagner

Looks like he is putting it together this season, isnt this a bit long to be considered a streak? Just traded Brunner for him, none of them will be keepers and Brunner hardly cracked my roster.

I dont watch many Oilers games is he just a beneficiary of better linemates?

Administrator

No, what he's doing is legit. I think he's been the Oilers' best forward so far this season. That doesn't necessarily mean he's been their most dangerous weapon but he just consistently plays well every game and so far that has reflected in his production. The quality linemates don't hurt either.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

If you take away the first 13 games of last season (when he came back from a bad ankle injury suffered in preseason) and the mere 2 points he put up on the 3rd/4th line during that time, Gagner had 45 points in 62 games. So the signs were there.

His better play is a combination of a lot of things: linemates (regular strength and PP), health, what appears to be increased speed and strength, and just being a year older. It is easy to forget that he is a mere 23 years old, being one of the youngest players from the 2007 draft.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    It is easy to forget that he is a mere 23 years old, being one of the youngest players from the 2007 draft.
    Yeah this is what I have been thinking too. I remeber the hype around especially Gagner but also Cogliano during their rookie season. After that it seems like a lot of people just written him off as this streaky player who will never live up to his potential (maybe just a thing outside the Oilers fanbase?).
    I guess the buy-low window will be closing soon if he keeps this up.

Dobber Sports Expert

The buy low window has already closed, he is at a point per game (or at least hovering, without looking) and it didn't take an 8 point game to get there, My team below, him and Ribeiro are the only two players I can count on for points generally everytime they are in a game. Gagner had a sick 10 game point streak to start the season which really helped build his confidence. I've watched a few Oiler games and he is definitely their most consistent player on the ice.

I kind of expected a drop off when RNH came back after a few games off with the shoulder thing, but that hasn't happened. enjoy it.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Gaborlick View Post
    The buy low window has already closed, he is at a point per game (or at least hovering, without looking) and it didn't take an 8 point game to get there, My team below, him and Ribeiro are the only two players I can count on for points generally everytime they are in a game. Gagner had a sick 10 game point streak to start the season which really helped build his confidence. I've watched a few Oiler games and he is definitely their most consistent player on the ice.

I kind of expected a drop off when RNH came back after a few games off with the shoulder thing, but that hasn't happened. enjoy it.
    Maybe it has, but I still belive he is flying a bit under the radar due to all the hot "young" guys in Edmonton?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Do you think I should go for him in a trade?

We use Fantrax so I have a shitload of players with C eligibility, but basically my main ones are Kopitar, Backstrom, Stepan and Little/Bolland. I'm thinking that fourth spot needs an upgrade. What would you offer to a team that needs pretty much everything except centers?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Conacher has slowed down quite a bit. Dont know if his upside could in any way be higher than Gagners? I certainly dont think so.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin View Post
    Conacher has slowed down quite a bit. Dont know if his upside could in any way be higher than Gagners? I certainly dont think so.
    Conacher is talented, but I think his start to the season is a bit of a flash in the pan. I think Beniot Pouilet is going to take over that role on the team, as least so far. I think Conacher scores 45-50 in a full season.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Do you think I should go for him in a trade?

We use Fantrax so I have a shitload of players with C eligibility, but basically my main ones are Kopitar, Backstrom, Stepan and Little/Bolland. I'm thinking that fourth spot needs an upgrade. What would you offer to a team that needs pretty much everything except centers?
    I would try and package Conacher and a defenseman for Gagner, Depends on what the owner thinks of Gagner, if he is high on him and thinks him as one of his main keepers, that might not work. Selling high on Conacher is a good idea. He had a 6 game point drought, but it looks as though he will produce at a slower pace, but still produce again...
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Gagner vs Voracek

On the flip side
    I have Gagner. I've been offered Voracek for him. Not sure what to think of the deal. What are their upsides? Thoughts?

14 Team League
    Points only
    20 player rosters
    Positions are F,D,G
    Count 7F, 5D & 2G
    We have playoffs that line up with NHL playoffs so scorers on playoff teams are more valuable than those on non-playoff teams
    Last edited by WhatThePuck?; February 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by WhatThePuck? View Post
    On the flip side
    I have Gagner. I've been offered Voracek for him. Not sure what to think of the deal. What are their upsides? Thoughts?

14 Team League
    Points only
    20 player rosters
    Positions are F,D,G
    Count 7F, 5D & 2G
    We have playoffs that line up with NHL playoffs so scorers on playoff teams are more valuable than those on non-playoff teams
    I know it might sound like you're winning the lottery if you take that deal after Voracek's 7 in 2 games but stay patient and keep Gagner, Voracek is talent, but I like Gagners upside better on the Oil.

I didn't read the Playoff thing. Man thats a tough call, both teams aren't in the playoffs at this moment in time. EDM has played 2 less games and is only 2 points behind Philly (different conferences, but just basing it on team points). This will be close, if either makes the playoffs it will be by the skin of their teeth.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin View Post
    Maybe it has, but I still belive he is flying a bit under the radar due to all the hot "young" guys in Edmonton?
    I think he is very under the radar. I was lucky enough to trade Dubnyk (the GM needed another goalie for this week as all he had was Rask, who was playing 2X) for Gagner and a late round pick (8th).

With Hall, RNH, Eberle and Yakapov, I do think he goes unmentioned. Living in Toronto, when Edmonton is talked about on The Fan or on 1050, his name is never mentioned. Hall and the others are of course, but Gagner is not even thought of. Even other GM's in my league don't talk about him. Another GM told me when I traded for him that I would never use him in my lineup. When I informed him that Gagner has more points that all of his forwards except St. Louis and Neal, he was shocked.

IMHO, if he is available via trade, get him. He is incredibly consistent this year and his pace is that of an 80 point season. That's rare and it is better than all the other "young studs" in Edmonton.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen