Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hall vs Seguin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hall might not have quite the hockey IQ that Seguin has but he makes up for it in work ethic and drive. His situation is better IMO as well.

I'll take Hall.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Padawan

Biased Oilers fan here, so take it for what it's worth. I have the pleasure of watching Hall game in and game out, and I am glad the Oilers chose him over Seguin.

Most of the Oilers fans I know recognize that he is absolutely the driving force behind their offense and the best player currently on the team. We could debate on and on who has the most potential among the other young guns on the Oilers but right now he is clearly their most important player.

In terms of Hall vs. Seguin they are both great players, but the fact that Hall has more points in less games, more PPG, and has done this without any sheltered minutes basically playing against the top lines and dmen of opponents every night, I gotta go with Hall. He is a stud plain and simple.
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, Coyle, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Daccord

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

So how do you guys evaluate hockey sense and hockey IQ?

These terms come up quite a bit in this debate.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Leumas View Post

If it's a guy I like, he has a high hockey IQ. If I don't like him, he has a low hockey IQ. If he plays for the Leafs, he has no hockey IQ. :-)

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    If it's a guy I like, he has a high hockey IQ. If I don't like him, he has a low hockey IQ. If he plays for the Leafs, he has no hockey IQ. :-)
    Seems legit.
    Yahoo Limited Keeper (Keep 4), 2nd Year, Weekly H2H, daily starts, 12 teams
    G, A, P, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG // W, GAA, SV%, SHO,

2C/2LW/2RW/2F/4D/2G/3BENCH/2IR

Likely keepers in BOLD

C: Tavares, Backstrom
    W: Neal
    D:
    G: Lundqvist
    IR:

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Leumas View Post

Just like a report card.
    LAST NIGHT...Hall got 4A's and a G...which of course is 1 worse than an F. We all know an F is a failure...and he does one worse?! Like the opposite of Giving 110%. Don't even remind me of the night he managed to earn 3 G's.

Stupid Hall. Couple that with the fact he's in a less favorable position and thrown into the fire early.

I suppose that makes Seguin the "cream" of that draft crop.

(what sarcasm?)

Dobber Sports Stud

Still Seguin.

Stats gained agains the Flames shouldnt' even count at the moment. Half the AHL could beat them.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    Still Seguin.

Stats gained agains the Flames shouldnt' even count at the moment. Half the AHL could beat them.
    Yup...agreed. Hall is an incompetant Hockey Moron. The fact that he currently sits first over all and 1 point a head of Crosby (For Yahoo Fan Pts in My League) over the past 30 days (let alone his standings over 14 and 7 days) means absolutely nothing. There simply isn't any consistency in Hall's game.

5 points against a joke of a Cgy squad
    Hat trick against a joke of a Vancouver Squad

OH...and now 17 points shy of PPG status over his 3 year career. Don't be fooled!

Seguin is the clear cut favorite here.......

Dobber Sports Pro

base on what i've seen over the last 3 years I prefer Hall.

he was on a bette pace last season and he is on a better pace this season.

I dont think any choice is a bad choice... just who prefer who.. they are both real solid player.
    6 teams dynasty pool,points only,no pos. for F, Keep All, 12F, 6D, 2G count.....backup=6F, 4D, 2G, 4 roster moves( 2 at 30th game and 2 at NHL deadline)
    F- , P. Kane,Eichel, DeBrincat, Kopitar, Wheeler, Kuznetsov, Point, Huberdeau, Verhaghe, Bergeron,Keller, Batherson, Schmaltz, W.Nylander, Buchnevich,Rantanen
    D- Makar, Gostisbehere, Carlson, Burns, Barrie, M. Rielly, Hronek, DeAngelo, KA Miller
    G- Vasilevskyi, Sorokin, Campbell, Markstrom
    Farm: Lundell, Guenther, Holtz, Glass, E. Svechnikov, Denisenko, Newhook, Heponiemi, Lauko,Neighbours, Bokk N. Foote, Borgstrom, Dahlen, Bokk, S. Poulin, Zelleweger, Liljegren, Heinola, Perunovich, S. Knight.

Dobber Sports Deity

Taylor Hall. That is all.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

So I am a Pens fan and then a Flames fan, so inherently I am trained to hate on both. I also own both of them in fantasy hockey because I don't care what I said above I love them. Having watched them both a ton, Seguin has more "in a box skill", but Hall is more dynamic. Seguin doesn't create chances like Hall does. When Seguin has the puck, ton of skill, and can make some fantastic plays, but when Hall steps on the ice it becomes more exciting. Hall just creates all of his own offense. I really can't choose between who I would rather have, but Hall is quickly proving to be the best of the kids. No doubt about it. Even both of Eberle's goals last nights were on plays completely driven by Hall and Ebs just had to tap it in the empty net. For everyone saying Hall is the worst of the 5, he leads EDM next leading scorer by 8 points, which is Ganger. He is 13 up on Eberle, 19 up on RNH, and 21 up on Yakupov. Also, for what its worth, he is 15 up on Seguin in 2 less games.

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    So I am a Pens fan and then a Flames fan, so inherently I am trained to hate on both. I also own both of them in fantasy hockey because I don't care what I said above I love them. Having watched them both a ton, Seguin has more "in a box skill", but Hall is more dynamic. Seguin doesn't create chances like Hall does. When Seguin has the puck, ton of skill, and can make some fantastic plays, but when Hall steps on the ice it becomes more exciting. Hall just creates all of his own offense. I really can't choose between who I would rather have, but Hall is quickly proving to be the best of the kids. No doubt about it. Even both of Eberle's goals last nights were on plays completely driven by Hall and Ebs just had to tap it in the empty net. For everyone saying Hall is the worst of the 5, he leads EDM next leading scorer by 8 points, which is Ganger. He is 13 up on Eberle, 19 up on RNH, and 21 up on Yakupov. Also, for what its worth, he is 15 up on Seguin in 2 less games.
    I agree with this sentiment. I don't follow the Oilers or Bruins closely enough, but in the games I've seen my team play against the Oilers it's clear that Hall is just head and shoulders above the rest of the group. He was a constant threat while on the ice and I actually was fearful every time he went onto the ice due to his ability to create something out of nothing. I haven't seen Seguin live yet, but if it's anything like Hall you can't really go wrong with either one.
    15-team keeper (keep 10) - G,A,+/-,PPP, Hits, Blocked Shots, W, SV%, Saves

Forwards - Kunin, Trenin, Eichel, Bjorkstrand, Boldy, Pastrnak, Boeser, Caufield, Laine, Crosby, Newhook, Konecny, Farabee, Rossi (NA)
    Defenseman - Brodin, Hamilton, Zadorov, Severson, Forsling, Braun, Roy
    Goalies - Sorokin, Hill, Varlamov, Daws

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Yup...agreed. Hall is an incompetant Hockey Moron. The fact that he currently sits first over all and 1 point a head of Crosby (For Yahoo Fan Pts in My League) over the past 30 days (let alone his standings over 14 and 7 days) means absolutely nothing. There simply isn't any consistency in Hall's game.

5 points against a joke of a Cgy squad
    Hat trick against a joke of a Vancouver Squad

OH...and now 17 points shy of PPG status over his 3 year career. Don't be fooled!

Seguin is the clear cut favorite here.......
    You are officially the easiest wind-up in the entire Dobber hockey community...hahahahaha

What I love most about your argument is that it's one of the clearest strawman blowups I've ever experienced. Please find anywhere, in any post I've ever made, the arguments you're pinning on me?!? Other than Calgary being a joke of a hockey team.....you care to debate that? Let's do it!
    Last edited by 4horsemen; April 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'll still take Hall while you Seguin lovers wait for him to play catch up.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

so that we're comparing apples to apples...

in the first two seasons, seguin wasn't given top line, top ppg minutes, while hall has been top line, top ppg minutes since day one. Even this season, seguin hasn't been a staple on the top line, top ppg (although his ice time has gone up).
    as his role increases, his production will too.

second thing i'd point out is seguin hasn't missed much time. hall on the other hand played 60-some games in seasons 1&2 and has missed time this year too. admitedly, some of the time missed in one of the seasons was self-inflicted (idiototic horseplay).

i don't think the difference is that big, but give me seguin over hall.