View Poll Results: Who wins the Super Bowl??

Voters
14. This poll is closed
  • Baltimore Ravens

6 42.86%
  • San Fran 49ers

8 57.14%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Super Bowl: Ravens vs. 49ers..

Dobber Sports Wizard

That pass on the last play wasn't catchable.

Also, contact was initially made at the goal line, within 5 yards. There was holding for sure, but the receiver was pushing off as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    That pass on the last play wasn't catchable.

Also, contact was initially made at the goal line, within 5 yards. There was holding for sure, but the receiver was pushing off as well.
    not even close...the ball was in the air and perhaps not 'easily' catchable if he was untouched but certainly possible. And you are misinterpreting the rule...contact within 5 yards is 100% fine and not remotely in question here. The issue is that contact continued to be made 2-3 yards deeper than that in the endzone, with zero regard for the ball and he basically draped himself all over the guy to haul him down. Textbook holding...5 yard penalty and automatic 1st down, its a horrible no-call

Personally, aside from Kaepernick's missed TD pass in the first quarter (chalk that up to nerves) - SF's defensive backs blew that game. Specifically, Culliver, who was probably more concerned w/not being late to his first sensitivity training class.

Not to take away from Flacco's performance which is to be commended, but those DBs made him look like Brady or Manning caliber.
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Personally, aside from Kaepernick's missed TD pass in the first quarter (chalk that up to nerves) - SF's defensive backs blew that game. Specifically, Culliver, who was probably more concerned w/not being late to his first sensitivity training class.

Not to take away from Flacco's performance which is to be commended, but those DBs made him look like Brady or Manning caliber.
    Toss some credit to the offensive line too. They were fantastic for the entire playoff run. Flacco needs to take them out for steak dinners all off-season because they are the reason he is going to get paid like $20 million a year. Yeah Flacco's got the big arm but that offensive line kept him upright all playoffs and gave the receivers time to get open. It all falls apart without those guys so while the 49ers corners may have played poorly, it's hard to hold up without a pass rush.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Toss some credit to the offensive line too. They were fantastic for the entire playoff run. Flacco needs to take them out for steak dinners all off-season because they are the reason he is going to get paid like $20 million a year. Yeah Flacco's got the big arm but that offensive line kept him upright all playoffs and gave the receivers time to get open. It all falls apart without those guys so while the 49ers corners may have played poorly, it's hard to hold up without a pass rush.
    True, and good point, his line was beast-like.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Great game!

That last call was the right call in my opinion, there was contact on both ends, and it would have been a "soft" call to to make at such a critical juncture in the game. If you want to talk about the refs letting the players decide on the field, then that was the right move.

I think there would have been a shit storm of controversy surrounding the blackout had the Niners completed the comeback. That 45 minute time-out was a HUGE game changer IMO... not to take anything away from the Niners, but they were able to reorganize, clear their minds and got a huge lift from that, meanwhile the Ravens were probably thinking about where they were going to celebrate after the game.
    Last edited by blayze; February 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Great game!

That last call was the right call in my opinion, there was contact on both ends, and it would have been a "soft" call to to make at such a critical juncture in the game. If you want to talk about the refs letting the players decide on the field, then that was the right move.

I think there would have been a shit storm of controversy surrounding the blackout had the Niners completed the comeback. That 45 minute time-out was a HUGE game changer IMO... not to take anything away from the Niners, but they were able to reorganize, clear their minds and got a huge lift from that, meanwhile the Ravens were probably thinking about where they were going to celebrate after the game.
    nope, watch it again and keep in mind the following facts:

-line of scrimmage was just outside the 5 yard line, so the endzone is beyond the 5 yard cushion
    -at no point does the defender look back for the ball, the receiver on the other hand is looking back for the ball

This is the best HD video I found of it...scroll down and jump to about 2:30 in the vid:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/4...g-jim-harbaugh

the refs apparently don't know what holding is, as you can clearly see on the subsequent play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-C8NZU-EqI

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    nope, watch it again and keep in mind the following facts:

-line of scrimmage was just outside the 5 yard line, so the endzone is beyond the 5 yard cushion
    -at no point does the defender look back for the ball, the receiver on the other hand is looking back for the ball

This is the best HD video I found of it...scroll down and jump to about 2:30 in the vid:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/4...g-jim-harbaugh

the refs apparently don't know what holding is, as you can clearly see on the subsequent play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-C8NZU-EqI
    I'm not disagreeing that there wasn't a hold - clearly there was - but I don't think it was clear-cut enough to substantiate a game-deciding flag. There's the "rulebook"... and then there's the context of the situation. It's just like hockey - it's an unwritten rule that the refs put away their whistles in the last minute unless there's something really blatant, and the players on both teams know that, and they fully take advantage of it.

If you want to go by the technical rulebook, there are dozens of missed/blown calls every game and it cuts both ways (ie: the Niner's NFC Championship).

And the "holding" going on in your 2nd link is weak... that shit happens on every single punt - it would have been embarrassing if they threw out a flag on that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I'm not disagreeing that there wasn't a hold - clearly there was - but I don't think it was clear-cut enough to substantiate a game-deciding flag. There's the "rulebook"... and then there's the context of the situation. It's just like hockey - it's an unwritten rule that the refs put away their whistles in the last minute unless there's something really blatant, and the players on both teams know that, and they fully take advantage of it.

If you want to go by the technical rulebook, there are dozens of missed/blown calls every game and it cuts both ways (ie: the Niner's NFC Championship).

And the "holding" going on in your 2nd link is weak... that shit happens on every single punt - it would have been embarrassing if they threw out a flag on that.
    I get you, and I don't think the Niners deserved to win the game to be honest but I hate seeing blown calls like that late in a game, it sours it.

but how can you call that 2nd link 'weak'?!? the defender is BEHIND him with his arms wrapped around him, that shit does not happen on every punt, or if it does its called...blatant holding