Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grigorenko will stay with Sabres

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Thought I would resurrect this thread and see what peoples thoughts are now that he has been a healthy scratch in 3 of the past 5 games.

Everyone still thinking this was a smart move to keep him up??
    I think it's pretty obvious that it was the wrong move considering there is no plan to keep him in the lineup.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

He's starting Thursday's game on the 2nd line with Foligno and Stafford and some 2nd unit PP time. I'm excited to see what he can do in the top 6!

He hasn't really had a chance to show his stuff yet but if he sticks on the 2nd line I think you could see some solid numbers and play from here on out. I'm still high on him. He has elite skill and hockey sense. Keep in mind Joe Thornton only had 7 points in his rookie season.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post
    Keep in mind Joe Thornton only had 7 points in his rookie season.
    The problem is that for every Thornton there are dozens of prospects who fail in this situation. For examples see the year-to-year lineups of the New York Islanders and Columbus Blue Jackets.

Dobber Sports Wizard

it is not a points issue to me

it is an issue as to what is best for his development and playing games is what is best for his development

it is criminally negligent to keep a kid up and have him wearing a suit most nights or have his ass stapled to the bench most of the game

Dobber Sports Veteran

Too early to panic or say that he's not going to pan out or whatever. But I agree that it's stupid to have kept him up and not give him a fair shake. He's an offensive-minded player. Fourth line minutes (and linemates) won't work and sitting in the press box routinely isn't going to help a ton either.

If they let him play -- and by that I also mean on a line and in game situations that cater to his strengths -- I think he'll be fine. Obviously with some growing pains here and there. But let's face it, the Sabres aren't going anywhere this year regardless. There's very little harm in starting to view this as an extended preseason instead of a shortened regular season campaign and to allow the kid to get some quality experience.

It's not as though he's been totally overwhelmed out there such that it might be detrimental to let him learn by doing. It's the half-pregnant approach they're taking that is the absolute worst for him in my opinion.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well Ruff just got let go lol.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    The problem is that for every Thornton there are dozens of prospects who fail in this situation. For examples see the year-to-year lineups of the New York Islanders and Columbus Blue Jackets.
    Very true. But fwiw Thornton is a player that Grigorenko has been compared to quite a bit....that means nothing haha just thought I'd point it out I guess.

Ruff being fired could potentially be a great thing for Grigorenko.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Very true. But fwiw Thornton is a player that Grigorenko has been compared to quite a bit....that means nothing haha just thought I'd point it out I guess.

Ruff being fired could potentially be a great thing for Grigorenko.

I agree, it COULD mean something, but it could also mean nothing. He has to take advantage of any opportunities awarded him. If he doesn't, then this could be a big issue with his growth in the league.

Personally I thought they should have sent him back when they had the chance before burning off a year of his ELC.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well so much for that...Grigorenko healthy scratch tonight lol.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Well so much for that...Grigorenko healthy scratch tonight lol.
    wow why did they bother drafting him

Dobber Sports Veteran

Just send him back to junior even if you already burnt a year off his deal. That years gone already and it's not like he's making an impact anyway.

I honestly consider this team to be one of the worst managed teams in the league. They are up there with Calgary and Columbus. Even the Islanders have been better at managing their team over the past couple of years IMO.
    Last edited by letangerang58; February 21, 2013 at 1:16 PM.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post

I honestly consider this team to be one of the worst managed teams in the league.
    I have to agree with you here. The contracts they've handed out in recent years are among the worst in the NHL and the decision to keep Grigs up simply baffles me. I've never been a believer in the praise the kid has garnered among many poolies but this just makes no sense. If you don't want to use him then develop him! Just like Roy said last year when he was drafted....the kid needs more time in Junior.

Leino at 4.5...hahahaha
    Myers at 5.5.....gag me
    Erhoff for 10 years...right

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    Nah its why did they keep him with the big club.

Administrator

To me Grigorenko is a perfect example of Ruff and Regier not being on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    Rolston won't make a call on where to fit him in until he can watch him practice on Friday. He brought of Porter to fill 3rd/4th line center role. Tough on the puck and face-off wins, no quit kinda guy.

Don't blame Rolston for Ruff's incompetent handling of the kid.
    @SmittysRant