Thread: Alex Semin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Alex Semin

Curious about thoughts re: Alex Semin this year.

I've invested in him this year because Carolina is going to be his Alamo. Either it's all on the table and he dominates, which he is absolutely capable of doing with a strong, physical C like Eric (or even Jordan) Staal, or he flops again with middling point totals and mental checkouts for games at a time, in which case no NHL team would match the offers he's likely to get from the KHL.

I'm betting on the former, largely because he took a short-term deal (albeit a $7 million one) to stay in NA and passed up what had to be some lucrative offers in the KHL. He got called out by teammates, which is a complete slap in the face in the hockey world. I think he's motivated to prove he belongs here, and I think he has a monster year (i.e. top-10 or thereabout) in store, especially in a shortened season.

Semin has (had?) Hall of Fame talent, and if he ever approaches the focus required to unlock that talent, he could be amazing.
    16 team league, keep 12 plus *4 1st/2nd year players (16 total)
    Points Only (w/ NHL salaries), start 8F/4D/1G
    Note: Defencemen receive 1 point per 45 mins of ice time (1-2 points per week, ~30-35 pts per season).

Forwards:
    L. Couture, F. Forsberg, T. Teravainen, O. Palat, C. Kreider, K. Hayes, *J. Guentzel, R. Rakell, *K. Labanc, B. Point, *C. Fischer
    Defense:
    *S. Theodore, S. Gostisbehere, *M. Matheson, J. Trouba
    Goalie:
    M. Murray

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Spleentastic View Post
    Carolina is going to be his Alamo.
    But everyone DIED at the Alamo....That would be a real bummer since I got him in a trade after last season ended.
    6Team/Points Only H2H Keep: 37+3goalies Start: 13F/6D/2G
    FWD = G(2), A(1), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    DEF = G(3), A(2), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    GOAL = W(3), OTL(1), SO(+2), SV(.10)

FOR: Malkin Ovechkin Kessel Stepan Gaborik Zetterberg Carter Vanek Pacioretty Duchene Skinner Lupul Hornqvist Perron Semin Okposo Byfuglien Granlund Bennett Strome Bjugstad Nichushkin Yakupov Galchenyuk Grigorenko Kuznetsov Kucherov Etem Burakovsky
    D: Letang Goligoski Kronwall Voynov JustinSchultz Hedman RyanMurphy AdamLarsson Pulock Sproul
    G: Lundqvist Lehtonen Schneider

Dobber Sports Pro

Not a believer.

I like Semin as a hockey deal for Carolina because it's only one year and maybe he gets motivated and produces but fantasy-wise, I'm not sure I buy it.

Semin has had every chance to succeed for many years and while he's done it early in his career, he just doesn't seem to care anymore. I have a hard time going for players like this in pools because they can kill your fantasy team like they do with their real teams.

He's the typical high risk/high reward player.