Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rate my team (just drafted)

Banned

i didn't put in a prediction because, like you, i wuold like to see the other teams first...

but that wasn't my point anyways... my point was that i don't think that he missed out on point-per-game (or first round) talent and that his team actually had a potentially strong offence despite their totals from last season. in an earlier top 10 scorers thread, i had benn and toews in my list and i really think kane can be a PPG player too. kessel was there last year... and i see is other forwards improving too.

points from last year are a factor, but they aren't everything. players have down years and i see his team as full of rebound candidates.

i wouldn't have taken goalies with my top 2 picks, but he got two of the best and in roto he will reap the benefits for this. i think his forwards can rebound and keep him in the top 70+% of the league for the skater categories so i don't see them as the weakness this strategy could have yielded. seems like he bought low on a lot of players that could pay off and he should have a team with top potential. shit happens during a season, so before it all starts, that is the most that you can hope for.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by karljans View Post
    I had the 6th pick so I knew I wasn't getting any of "big 3 forwards" or Ovechkin. I figured grab one or two elite goalies and get as many forwards from that next tier as possible. It could certainly backfire as one year I drafted Tim Thomas (after his first Vezina) and Steve Mason ( after winning the Calder) thinking I locked up goaltending and ended getting destroyed.
    I'm sending you some REP for not being stubborn and at least admitting that drafting a high-performing goalie can go wrong.

I do hope you do well.
    The 6th pick is a tough one... especially if Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Ovechkin/Giroux are all gone. It gets tough.

The top eight in all four DobberEntry leagues were those five skaters + Lundqvist, Rinne, Quick.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'm sending you some REP for not being stubborn and at least admitting that drafting a high-performing goalie can go wrong.

I do hope you do well.
    The 6th pick is a tough one... especially if Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Ovechkin/Giroux are all gone. It gets tough.

The top eight in all four DobberEntry leagues were those five skaters + Lundqvist, Rinne, Quick.
    Haha thanks. Honestly after taking Lundqvist in the 1st I was dead set on taking a forward in the 2nd and 3rd. I was shocked that Rinne kept falling. I was looking at like 10 forwards including St Louis, Datsyuk, Toews, Backstrom, Eberle or Parise possibly in the 2nd round and 3rd rounds but couldn't decide. Rinne was there and based on our league's past draft history I knew the goalie run was coming. I had a hunch that some of those forwards would make it back to me in so I made a spur of the moment decision to grab Rinne. I think sometimes you have to zig when other teams zag
    Last edited by karljans; January 17, 2013 at 2:40 PM.

Banned

you say that goalies have off years and i agree, but so do players.

take a look at your own forward rankings from 1 year ago and look at the names... how many of those guys gave predicted value? half? less than half?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dobber Sports Genius

I honestly think this guys team should be in the top 5, however P7's opinion about goalies is spot on, you have to be cautious but considering you went your first two rounds picking goalies and still scratched together that forward squad looks very nice for you.

The only thing I would be cautious of is in shorten season lots of backs ups are going to be more valuable as there going to see an increase in playing time, and more likely play the weaker opponent. A team that drafts so so goalies could pick up a nice back up to round out his stats.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
    you say that goalies have off years and i agree, but so do players.

take a look at your own forward rankings from 1 year ago and look at the names... how many of those guys gave predicted value? half? less than half?

You are doing a lot of work to avoid predicting a finish for the OP.
    If you just want to make a point to disagree with me... you've succeeded. Congrats.

Banned

thanks.

and don't let your bad advice get you down...

it doesn't happen often, but man, you really blew this one.

Dobber Sports Genius

wow everyone needs to chill its just opinion P7 made a great case with goalies, its a roll of a dice everyone needs strong goalitending but the teams that win championships usally get the strong goaltending by taking risks on the less obvious or great waiver pick ups ( smith, Elliot) I won my league in 2010 because I snagged Rinne quite far down, sometimes its great timing but Forwards are more preditable production. Last year I drafted Bryz and it sank my ship!
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sorry guys I didn't mean to start a big dispute.
    I appreciate the input from both of you guys.

I am pretty confident in my team and hopefully with Lundqvist and Rinne being the 2 most consistent goalies the last few years, they will be immune from the stat fluctuations that other top goalies have seen from year to year.

Like I said earlier I wasn't going to originally go goalie/ goalie the 1st 2 rounds but when Rinne kept dropping I figured I would "zig" when other teams were "zagging" haha

Dobber Sports Prodigy

So I ended up winning my league after all although as you can see by my signature my final roster was totally different from what I drafted.
    Pengwin, you definitely made some good points. While our league is heavily weighted towards goaltending, other than Lundqvist the top goalies are too inconsistent to draft many of them real early. Most of the top goalies drafted ( Rinne, Quick, Price, Halak) had mediocre years while guys taken much later or picked off waivers ( Anderson, Crawford, Bobrovsky, Fasth) put up great numbers
    One Year Roto. 12 teams
    Cats: Goals (Weighted Twice) Assists(Weighted Twice), SOG, Power Play Points.
    Goalie Cats: Wins, GAA, SV %, Shutouts

Positions: 7 Forwards, 3 D, 2 goalies

F A Matthews
    F Laine
    F Kuznetzov
    F Monahan
    F Petterson
    F Duchene
    F Granlund
    D Krug
    D Yandle
    D Werenski

G Vasilevsky
    G Luongo/ Quick

Bench: Nylander, Tuch, T Wilson, Oshie, C. Miller, C Peterson

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by karljans View Post
    So I ended up winning my league after all although as you can see by my signature my final roster was totally different from what I drafted.
    Pengwin, you definitely made some good points. While our league is heavily weighted towards goaltending, other than Lundqvist the top goalies are too inconsistent to draft many of them real early. Most of the top goalies drafted ( Rinne, Quick, Price, Halak) had mediocre years while guys taken much later or picked off waivers ( Anderson, Crawford, Bobrovsky, Fasth) put up great numbers

Well done (sending you some REP).
    As soon as I saw this thread I thought "No way... there is no way that guy won his league with his draft roster... no way".

Ah - Schneider, Bob... yeah... there ya go.
    Your team looks completely different than what you drafted.

Pekka Rinne didn't win anybody their leagues this year.
    I called that on Rinne in the off-season... in fact, I need to go bump that thread.

Anyways, congrats on re-tooling your team into a winner.
    I hope my advice was somewhat helpful... always just looking to help!

Congrats!!!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yes definitely- Thanks again!
    One Year Roto. 12 teams
    Cats: Goals (Weighted Twice) Assists(Weighted Twice), SOG, Power Play Points.
    Goalie Cats: Wins, GAA, SV %, Shutouts

Positions: 7 Forwards, 3 D, 2 goalies

F A Matthews
    F Laine
    F Kuznetzov
    F Monahan
    F Petterson
    F Duchene
    F Granlund
    D Krug
    D Yandle
    D Werenski