Thread: What do I do with Markstrom?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default What do I do with Markstrom?

League and team in sig.

We drafted back in the fall and I used my 4th pick (3rd round) to draft Markstrom. I didn't foresee him playing in the NHL this season but I drafted him because if the season was cancelled, I could keep him for next year.

With Theodore/Clemmenson in Florida, it doesn't look like he will see any time in the NHL unless there is an injury. If he gets into 2 games this year, he will be eligible as a keeper in our league as we have lowered it to 10 games played career total for goalies to be kept this season.

I can't afford to waste a roster spot on him this year as I have a very competitive team.

I will kick the tires on some trades in hopes I can include him in a package for an upgrade somewhere but I have my doubts that will happen prior to the start of the season. I may move him for as low as a third-round pick rather than outright drop him.

Or should I bite the bullet and drop him for any of the following? Or, if I do move him for a pick, who should I pick up to fill the spot:

Burmistrov
    Backlund
    Scheifele
    Zibanejad
    Cervenka
    Neiderreiter

Khudobin
    Gustavsson
    Giguere
    Khabibulin
    Biron
    Hedberg

I usually like to roll with 4 goalies in this league (unconventional but it works for me) but given the compressed schedule, it means more teams playing on any given night so I'm thinking Rask/Schneider/Anderson should do the trick. However, if you think a fourth goalie would help, feel free to choose one of them.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I think I agree with your assessment. This will not be Markstrom's year to assume a relevant tending role with Florida. The ever going Luongo concern simply amplifies this.

While you may try to trade him, I don't know if it will be worth your time as I'm guessing most of the GM's in your league feel the same way.

From the guys below...if you're looking for a potential impact player (Your F and D looks pretty solid), I'd focus on replacing him with another available Goaltender.

Of the guys below that you mentioned, I'd be most interested in:

Khudobin - With Thomas out of the picture, he's the definite back up to Rask. This is Rask's chance to shine but one thing we learned...sometimes the heir apparent stumbles in his first opportunity to sit in the drivers seat. While this isn't really Rask's first opportunity and he did Dazzle in his first, this is almost like a do-over and I have a gut feeling, he isn't as spick and span this season as he likely will be over his career. Plus...nagging injuries which Boston won't want to take a chance with on their Young Golden boy of the future. Khudobin hould very welll see plenty of ice time and excel at it (Consider Halak in Montreal...battling with Theodore and Price).

Failing that, I'd gamble on The Monster. This guy never lived up to his potential in Toronto...and with what should be a HUGE chip on his shoulder, has EVERYTHING to prove. He's now playing for a contender and with Howard in his way...I see a 70/30 split atleast...and a chance to shine in the event of injury.

The other 3 really do nothing for me.

Best of luck.

Dobber Sports Icon

Thanks a lot for the insight dude.

I agree that it could be a tough go for Rask, but he's playing for a new contract so I think he'll do well. Khudobin definitely is no slouch though and should put up some decent numbers over the 10-15 games he will probably play this season.

I'm going to keep trying to move Markstrom for a day or two. If that fails I will just make a WW pick up
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Genius

If you are set on having 4 goalies then I would drop Markstrom for Khudobin. If you are only going to run with 3 goalies then pick up Cervenka.

If your league has daily starts then I would pick up Khudobin. He gives you a better cahnce of winning the 5 goalie cats.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf