Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: McKenzie tweeting Burke fired as Toronto GM

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    Take it for a grain of salt

Heard from a buddy/old classmate who is from TO originally and has lots of connections to athletes (he had dinner with mike fisher and Carrie underwood before anyone knew they were a couple) that Burke was fired for not acting "professionally" with a trainers wife.

Makes sense from a very sudden firing point of view. If it was just the Luongo thing they could overrule him, or Nonis who is loyal to Burke wouldn't stay on. why keep him on as senior adviser if you are firing him?

" Tom Anselmi, the chief operating officer of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment Ltd. ... said: “This was about a change in leadership, a change in voice, a change of direction.” Then he contradicted himself just slightly, or at least did his best at damage control when he first said: “I don’t want to get into specifics” and followed that up with “this has nothing to do with Brian’s personal life.”

Why even mention Burkes personal life?
    because a reporter asked if it had to do with his personal life (i.e his sons death, or his outburts against the media). the whole banging someone on the side is the stupidest thing ever, he's like 100 years old and married isn't he?

Dobber Sports Giant

never liked burke. wonder if nonis will get luongo.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Wizard

A little speculation that Burke was let go because he didn't want to deal for Luongo:

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2013/...of-speculation
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Star

So if they let him go because of Luongo and then successully get Luogno....Bobby Lu better put up some pretty stellar numbers over the next couple of years eh? I mean, imagine firing the one guy that said it was a terrible idea.
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Icon

Interestingly(as per TSN Radio) Burke was recently offered Jonothan Bernier and told the Kings he had absolutly no interest in him.

Hmmmm ...too much faith in his Signed Reimer? Maybe pride(See Bryan Colangelo and Bargnani). If Kadri was involved in Luongo talks did he not want to part with HIS pick?

Though i really believe the Canucks were asking far too much for a goalie whose trade value is low right now.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    Interestingly(as per TSN Radio) Burke was recently offered Jonothan Bernier and told the Kings he had absolutly no interest in him.

Hmmmm ...too much faith in his Signed Reimer? Maybe pride(See Bryan Colangelo and Bargnani). If Kadri was involved in Luongo talks did he not want to part with HIS pick?

Though i really believe the Canucks were asking far too much for a goalie whose trade value is low right now.
    The problem with acquiring Bernier is that he would be asked to come in and perform at a level above where he has been in his career. Very similar to Lindback. The upside is there, but there is a lot of risk going from 15-20 games to 50+.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    because a reporter asked if it had to do with his personal life (i.e his sons death, or his outburts against the media). the whole banging someone on the side is the stupidest thing ever, he's like 100 years old and married isn't he?

like I said take it with a grain of salt but the person does have connections to sporting teams in TO.

But I didn't know being old and married stopped people from banging others, especially rich ones in positions of power.
    - bill Clinton, John Edwards, Arnold Schwartznegger, Bobby Petrino, Eliot Spitzer, Greg Norman, David Letterman.

Has anyone seen a firing like this, where a strong-willed stubborn GM is fired right before the season and STAYS ON as senior advisor?
    Last edited by cdubb; January 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    The problem with acquiring Bernier is that he would be asked to come in and perform at a level above where he has been in his career. Very similar to Lindback. The upside is there, but there is a lot of risk going from 15-20 games to 50+.
    one reason why doing this during the shortened season might not be terrible

it provides a stepping stone of sorts

i expect college guys coming in this season to benefit from the short season greatly as many of them hit that wall their first pro season trying to get aclimated to the game + the longer schedule at the same time

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    While this may be true, its Burkes reaction to being offered Bernier that I was pointing at.
    Why wouldnt he atleast look at it instead of brushing LA/Bernier aside.

Bottomline heres how I see it.

No matter what was behind this firing, it all goes back to Peddy and the boyz before.

This is a fact: When JFJ went for the interview he gave Peddy his 5 year plan of ripping it apart and rebuilding. Peddy & company said NO we want the playoffs. Fergy with basically no power agreed. He had to to get an in with the Job.Much to his chagrin as acessing of talent was his strong suit. The other stuff as we saw he didnt do so good(Though he may have been pushed to make some deals by the upstairs guys).

Enter Burke. Might he have wanted to do the samething at first but again Upstairs said NO. Yet Burke having the power gave to a happy medium = Quick Rebuild? Much to his chagrin.

Add to this as great a human Burke was he was also Proud, Arrogant & Pompous!!! He could never come to relize that his overzeal for making a tough team was not necessarily in style.

Ill add more later.

Dobber Sports Pro

Sean McIndoe's (Down Goes Brown) Grantland article on Burke getting fired. Not a comedy piece

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...to-maple-leafs

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    Sean McIndoe's (Down Goes Brown) Grantland article on Burke getting fired. Not a comedy piece

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...to-maple-leafs
    Puck daddy article on top 10 rumors/conspiracy theories

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...7429--nhl.html
    Last edited by cdubb; January 10, 2013 at 6:13 PM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    McIndoe's piece was outstanding. He can write non-humor!!!

You know, the more I think about Burke's firing, the more I think it had a lot to do with a specific aspect of the "style" they referred to. i.e. His very vocal gay advocacy

Sure, they didn't like his loudness, his media quarrels, etc - it's all bad for the corporate image.

But this ownership group isn't a bunch of 30 or 40 something liberal pot smokers. It's a bunch of older, right wing hardliners who want the ties done up in front of the cameras and who believe that homesexuality is, frankly, wrong.
    Of course, they would never admit it. Bad for the brand.

Fact is, there are alot of consumers out there (still) who also believe homosexuality is wrong. And there are many consumers who don't. Point is - Any big business does not want to be perceived as aligning itself with either side. So keeping Burke as the face of the franchise, their most prized possession, was a clear conflict. And, hey, the timing was perfect... the team was a perennial loser under his watch. So no one would suspect the firing was about his gay advocacy.

Just a theory.
    That's a crazy assumption to assume that a CEO is a homophobe or believes homosexuality is wrong without any merit to back it up.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Why risk alienating some of your consumers who are homophobes?
    Because they are a small minority compared to the much larger group of normal non-wankers who don't have a problem with being gay.

Flip the question around and ask 'Why risk alienating many of your consumers who are not homophobes?'

I've never seen any evidence for this speculation of yours about the ownership group in Toronto.

Dobber Sports Padawan

The Leafs and MLSE continue to be engaged in the You Can Play effort, post Burke firing.
    Setting up the play.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Excellent point. Time to shut the book on that theory.