Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: McKenzie tweeting Burke fired as Toronto GM

Dobber Sports Monster

Jeebus. I take a day with family away from internet, phones, etc and get home, log on and find this shocking news!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    2008-2009 - 24th overall
    2009-2010 - 29th overall
    2010-2011 - 22nd overall
    2011-2012 - 26th overall

Result? Fired.

You guys are seriously overanalysing things.
    i think in the end, we will find that this wasn't a hockey move at all... you either love burke, or you hate him and i bet he wore out his welcome, especially with nonis waiting in the wings.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Nice timing Leafs.. Im sure this has been discussed all day so that is all I really have to offer right now.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

2008-2009 - 24th overall
    2009-2010 - 29th overall
    2010-2011 - 22nd overall
    2011-2012 - 26th overall

Result? Fired.

do you think another gm could have done better given what burke had to start with? lets say gm X was hired instead of burke, and he kept the picks instead of trading for kessel. fast forward to today, the leafs now have seguin, hamilton, reilly, schenn, but do not have kessel, phaneuf, jvr, colborne, lupul, gardiner. do you really think gm X could have traded guys like stajan, toskala etc for the players the leafs have now? i know it's all hypothetical and we'll never know, but burke did a pretty good job given what he started with.

Dobber Sports Wizard

2008-2009 - 24th overall
    2009-2010 - 29th overall
    2010-2011 - 22nd overall
    2011-2012 - 26th overall

Result? Fired.

i am sure thats a part of it but the above was true months ago

unless it took them that long to find a record book or the internet or something

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    i am sure thats a part of it but the above was true months ago

unless it took them that long to find a record book or the internet or something
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2LpJAD5AqQ

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Sage

I am sure there were people calling for Burke to be fired every day on Facebook.
    Yes but I only said it once. Rarely talk about sports on there and I'm a megalomaniac )))
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Master

I wrote this for the Leafs page in dobber. Go read the entire thing if you want:

Not gonna get too into it, because it's technically not a hockey-related factor, but damn he was the BEST General Manager of all time regarding public image, community service, and social issues. Never has any figure in hockey done so much to help further gay rights, marching in the pride parade, talking at schools about homophobia, and helping kickstart "You Can Play". He slept outside, gave presents to kids...he did "10 times as much community service as what was seen on TV". He was a truly amazing man who I've had the pleasure to meet and I really wish him all the best. Outstanding man.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Banned

mark my words...the Leafs will NEVER win another cup as long as MLSE is calling the shots...I've never before seen such an incompetent, meddling band of idiots in my life. Sure you can criticize some of the moves Burke made, but show me more than a couple GMs that you cannot similarly criticize...bottom line is I don't think they gave him quite enough time to put all the pieces together, I think in the next year or two it was going to start meshing and they'd have a contender but once again they yank the carpet out and start anew. You gotta give your GM time to build, wtf do you care if they Leafs aren't winning? They still make a fortune every season even when they suck, you've got all the time in the world, hire someone competent and then leave them the **** alone to do their thing and stop your meddling when you obviously have no clue...if i dind't hate the Leafs it would be sad
    Last edited by mister_mcgoo; January 9, 2013 at 11:02 PM.

Banned

because they didn't like him. plain and simple. and like you said, they are making killer change regardless of their record so why put up with a guy that you don't like to be in the same room with. not saying that i agree with it or that i don't, but clearly they had had enough of burke and everything that comes with him. like i said earlier in this post, i highly doubt that this was a hockey decision.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
    like i said earlier in this post. i highly doubt that this was a hockey decision.
    EXACTLY! if its not a hockey decision, like how they make all their decisions, they have no background, no intelligence and no patience. Its the same thing you see in the NFL, that's why the Cowboys can't win shit because they have Jerry Jones always meddling where he has no place. Hire competent people to make the correct decisions and let them do their jobs, stay the **** out of it. These backseat GM types are the real problem

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    EXACTLY! if its not a hockey decision, like how they make all their decisions, they have no background, no intelligence and no patience. Its the same thing you see in the NFL, that's why the Cowboys can't win shit because they have Jerry Jones always meddling where he has no place. Hire competent people to make the correct decisions and let them do their jobs, stay the **** out of it. These backseat GM types are the real problem
    i agree. i remember an article in which e. friedman highlighted that this is how many teams do business. ownership has a heavy hand and is part of all decision making. on the flipside, many other teams' ownership groups give the gm's total control of all hockey based operations. the remaining teams are somewhere in the middle. he obviously didn't list any names, but it would really be interesting to know where each team in the league falls within the spectrum.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    mark my words...the Leafs will NEVER win another cup as long as MLSE is calling the shots...
    Firing Burke was Bell Canada/Roger's call, not MLSE.

For what it's worth I think it was time Burke was moved out. He had almost 5 years and we saw little progress - and the future doesn't look very promising in my eyes.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I can just picture Burke walking into the boardroom and some douchey looking Donald Trump type telling him dramatically that "You're Fired"...and then Burke jumping over the table and beating the hairpiece right off the guy!

I thought Burke was on the right track, no he wasn't perfect, no GM is, but his hockey knowledge was as good as any GM's and he wasn't afraid to surround himself with good hockey people (such as Nonis), always a good sign.

I never liked Burke's larger than life (grating, confrontational) media persona, but agree that his heart was (is) certainly in the right place with all the additional work he did behind the scenes and for charity/goodwill.

He'll land on his feet somewhere in a couple of years (or less)...if he wants.

Man, it's got to be tough to be a Leafs fan!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ace

Take it for a grain of salt

Heard from a buddy/old classmate who is from TO originally and has lots of connections to athletes (he had dinner with mike fisher and Carrie underwood before anyone knew they were a couple) that Burke was fired for not acting "professionally" with a trainers wife.

Makes sense from a very sudden firing point of view. If it was just the Luongo thing they could overrule him, or Nonis who is loyal to Burke wouldn't stay on. why keep him on as senior adviser if you are firing him?

" Tom Anselmi, the chief operating officer of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment Ltd. ... said: “This was about a change in leadership, a change in voice, a change of direction.” Then he contradicted himself just slightly, or at least did his best at damage control when he first said: “I don’t want to get into specifics” and followed that up with “this has nothing to do with Brian’s personal life.”

Why even mention Burkes personal life?
    Last edited by cdubb; January 10, 2013 at 6:00 AM.
    Semi-retired