Thread: Benn or Hall

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Benn or Hall

Back again.

With the season back and ready to roll, I have to make a decision here, between Benn & Hall. Trying not to be a "homer" (worst thing you could do in fantasy leagues) but obviously I am a Hall fan.

With the way Hall has been playing in the AHL, especially coming back from his offseason Shoulder Surgery change anyones mind? I was leaning towards Benn but he is still without a contract hasn't been playing anywhere of knowledge, (obviously the Stars will get something done but) you never know, reports say he might miss the minny camp.

Whoever I choose, I would lose the 3rd rd pick in my draft as his keeper slot.

My scoring format is as follows:
    +/- - Plus Minus 1 point
    A - Assists 1 point
    G - Goals 1 point
    GWG - Game Winning Goals 2 points
    PPA - Power Play Assists 1 point
    PPG - Power Play Goals 2 points
    SHG - Short Handed Goals 2 points

Any info greatly appreciated.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

There are rarely any formats in which I would choose Hall, but this might be one of them. Hall is definitely a goal guy where Benn is more of an assist guy. I also have more faith in the PP of Hall-RNH-Eberle-Schultz-Whitney/Yakupov then I do Jagr-Whitney-Benn-Goligoski-Eriksson. With your scoring system I have Benn at 104 and Hall at 98 and Hall played less games. I personally have confidence in Hall's health as all of his injuries have mostly been freak injuries. I choose Hall, and didn't think I would when I opened the post.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Benn has been playing for the Hamburg Freezers.
    You can't go wrong with either one but I'm going Benn here and this is why:

Both are great to have but I think Benn proved a lot more than Hall did last year.
    Also of Benn's 63 points only 10 were PPPs (71 games).
    Of Hall's 53 points 21 came from the powerplay ( 61 games).

As talented as Edmonton's power play is I don't see Hall improving on his power play numbers.
    Benn on the otherhand is now the focal point of the Stars power play (with Ribeiro being shipped) and the Stars have brought in some pretty good power play guys with Jagr and Whitney.
    It's a lot easier to improve on PPP production versus even strength production in my mind. All signs point to Benn greatly improving his PPP production so he gets the nod for me.

I drafted both of them in my semi-keeper league so I have high hopes for both.
    2010-2011 League Champion
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2,G | G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, BS, W, GAA, SV%
    C: Getzlaf, Backstrom
    LW: Hall, Tlusty
    RW: Malkin, Lupul
    D: Ehrhoff, Del Zotto, Enstrom, Carle
    G: Holtby, Smith
    Bench: Faulk, Druoin, MacKinnon, Brodin, S. Mason, Bernier
    H2H Keeper League [5F, 1D, 1F/D 1G]
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO
    F:Tavares, Landeskog, E.Kane, Backes, Yakupov, RNH/Kesler
    D: Green/OEL
    G: Rask

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3rtpaper View Post
    Benn has been playing for the Hamburg Freezers.
    You can't go wrong with either one but I'm going Benn here and this is why:

Both are great to have but I think Benn proved a lot more than Hall did last year.
    Also of Benn's 63 points only 10 were PPPs (71 games).
    Of Hall's 53 points 21 came from the powerplay ( 61 games).

As talented as Edmonton's power play is I don't see Hall improving on his power play numbers.
    Benn on the otherhand is now the focal point of the Stars power play (with Ribeiro being shipped) and the Stars have brought in some pretty good power play guys with Jagr and Whitney.
    It's a lot easier to improve on PPP production versus even strength production in my mind. All signs point to Benn greatly improving his PPP production so he gets the nod for me.

I drafted both of them in my semi-keeper league so I have high hopes for both.
    Thats fair. Basically the same reasons I chose Hall. I don't think is PP numbers will go up that much but I think he will get a bigger boost in points this year then Benn will. He already has the PP production so you don't have to hope it comes. But both are great choices.