Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Kovalchuk staying in KHL...

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    "I want to stay in St. Petersburg but I have contractual obligations in the NHL, which will be hard to break," Kovalchuk said. "Right now, I can't imagine how (my staying in the KHL) can be arranged... But I don't know anything yet."
    Translation: "I would love to stay the night and have breakfast. You know you are the love of my life but I need to get home before my wife/husband suspects something"

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post
    Translation: "I would love to stay the night and have breakfast. You know you are the love of my life but I need to get home before my wife/husband suspects something"
    This is not a Pronger thread.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

"I want to stay in St. Petersburg but I have contractual obligations in the NHL, which will be hard to break," Kovalchuk said. "Right now, I can't imagine how (my staying in the KHL) can be arranged... But I don't know anything yet."

Unless it was an impostor, it seems like a legit quote and a legit source. Slava Malamud is a writer for Russia's Sport-Express so I'll take it. At the very least, these quotes are out there and Kovy is not rushing to clarify his statements.

Now I can see the argument that he is just trying to be nice to the fans in Russia, but when he comes out and states that he WANTS to stay in the KHL, but is obligated by his contract, you can only spin that so much. Pretty much the wrong thing to say and guarenteed to piss off your team and owners. Hell, it sounds like if his agent could get him out of the contract, he'd be all over it.

Pretty damning IMO
    Idk, he's just stating a preference. He's not saying that the Devils suck and he hates playing for them or anything like that. Either way, I'm sure the Devils (players, fans, coach, management) will overlook everything as long as he comes back. He is by far their best player and probably their only hope at being decent this season. I'm wondering if during that meeting that Datsyuk, Malkin, Kovy, etc had that they didn't ask someone to give the NHL a bit of a scare. Either way, no way in hell that he risks the IIHF sanctions when Sochi is coming up next year.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Wizard

Wow! I never though this thread would get to be this long...lol
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm pretty sure I would be furious if I was the owners or his teammates if he came out and said he would prefer to be elsewhere. I think it does have an impact. Lockeroom cancers are usually shown the door - see Carter and Richards (allegedly). No real reason to move either of those guys, but they were shown the door abruptly.

Just my opinion, but I think this is the last thing NJ wants or needs and must be pissed.
    Are they? Seems to me like an aweful lot of teams around this league put up with bull**** from players a lot longer than they should. Look at Semin, Andrei Kostitsyn, Radulov, etc. All of these players were aloud to stick around for much longer then they should have (in Radulov's case given a second chance even though he was a dick to the team in the first place). Teams don't kick a player with an attitude to the curb as soon as he starts being a dick. They keep giving players opportunity after opportunity to clean up their act because the teams are all so desperate to make their teams better. Consider who will be taking up Kovalchuk's roster spot on this team. Stephen Gionta, Cam Jansen, Steve Bernier those are your alternatives to Kovalchuk.

*sorry if any of that came out argumentative, assholeish, incoherent, or rambling. I'm drunk and sleep deprived thanks to quiting smoking.
    Last edited by letangerang58; January 11, 2013 at 3:13 AM.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    none of us know how the other players feel about this
    There are enough quotes out there now. Patrick Elias in particular, is not impressed. I don't remember where the quote was, but to paraphrase: he said Kovy not reporting to camp on Sunday was in fact, a big deal for himself and the rest of the team.
    F: P. Kane, Oshie, N. Foligno, Thorton, Coyle, Marleau, Pavelski, Dubinsky
    Steen
    D: seabrooke, Subban,wizniewski,garrison, Carle
    G: Niemi, Fleury,

G/A-1 pt PIM- .25pts
    Win-2pts Shutouts- 5pts(2+3)
    Keep 10. Top 13 count (4 d, 1 g, 6 Frwd and next highest-any position)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ovi42 View Post
    There are enough quotes out there now. Patrick Elias in particular, is not impressed. I don't remember where the quote was, but to paraphrase: he said Kovy not reporting to camp on Sunday was in fact, a big deal for himself and the rest of the team.
    are there i dont know i dont follow devils news if it isnt on twitter stuff i follow i generally dont see it

ok so we do know how they feel

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Pro

Going to be an interesting situation either way.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Guru

SKA St. Pete coach Jukka Jalonen to SovSport after Thur game vs Salavat: "This was Kovalchuk's last game with us before going back".
    https://twitter.com/Sz1909_Szemberg/...25955687858176
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    Are they? Seems to me like an aweful lot of teams around this league put up with bull**** from players a lot longer than they should. Look at Semin, Andrei Kostitsyn, Radulov, etc. All of these players were aloud to stick around for much longer then they should have (in Radulov's case given a second chance even though he was a dick to the team in the first place). Teams don't kick a player with an attitude to the curb as soon as he starts being a dick. They keep giving players opportunity after opportunity to clean up their act because the teams are all so desperate to make their teams better. Consider who will be taking up Kovalchuk's roster spot on this team. Stephen Gionta, Cam Jansen, Steve Bernier those are your alternatives to Kovalchuk.

*sorry if any of that came out argumentative, assholeish, incoherent, or rambling. I'm drunk and sleep deprived thanks to quiting smoking.
    They keep people around because hockey is about production and winning, not about being happy and getting along. Nobody likes everyone that they work with (hockey is a job BTW) but unless someone breaks a really bad rule they will keep or lose their job based on production. Who cares if Kovalchuk hinted at staying in Russia? This isn't day care.

Dobber Sports Wizard

@Jay_Grossman RE: questions regarding Ilya Kovalchuk, there has been direct and thorough communication with NJ throughout

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Wizard

Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud

Kovalchuk tells Sport-Express he'll be on a plane to US Jan. 15 "Alas, (staying) is not realistic. I have contractual obligations to honor"

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud

Kovalchuk tells Sport-Express he'll be on a plane to US Jan. 15 "Alas, (staying) is not realistic. I have contractual obligations to honor"
    And once he starts playing the regular season we (along with Devils' players for those interested in the potential drama) will forget that this ever happened.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    And once he starts playing the regular season we (along with Devils' players for those interested in the potential drama) will forget that this ever happened.
    Word. This whole thing has been a tempest-in-a-teapot if I ever saw one.

RETIRED

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    He can't unilaterally void his deal. Not sure the Devils can do it either even if Kovy is in breach of his contract. If Kovy stays in Russia then Devils will suspend him and if he returns to NA that contract is still valid. Would be a messy situation with it being a long-term deal (vs. Radulov situation) but still the Devils would certainly love to have a world class player on their team if he wants to return.

But the point is moot. Kovy will be back in New Jersey next week and all of this will be forgotten and Kovy and Devils are one happy family again.
    so how does that work exactly if a player does that and stays in the KHL? lets say a guy has 5 years left at 5mil per year and he stays in the KHL for 4 years and then wants to come back to the NHL to play when he's 40 or something. Is the team on the hook for his salary at that point or can they goto arbitration or something?