Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Griffin Reinhart 4 game IIHF suspension

Dobber Sports Initiate

A somewhat similar incident happened with PMB in the Wild opener last year. Slashed Clavert off of a faceoff. Intended to hit him in the hands but hit his stick rode up Calvert's and into Calvert's face instead. PMB received a two game suspension, but his slash caused Calvert to bleed and lose some teeth as well. It wasn't overly vicious though, but still was a reckless play.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Comparing this to McSorley is awfully silly.
    I agree - not even remotely similar situations. I don't see anyone whining here either. Some good exchange of opinions (including some that think a suspension is warranted) and some insight into how this could impact his future.

Dobber Sports Stud

Worthy of being suspended in my opinion, probably would have given him a game less, but suspending him was the right call.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Comparing this to McSorley is awfully silly.
    Oh, I agree. And I made it solely for effect.

These are very, very different issues...but the point I was trying to make is that you can justify any suspension by saying the player didn't mean to do something, but that fate or bad luck (for lack of a better term) made it happen.

Another guy said this was a good "exchange of opininons", but when I wrote my comment I saw maybe one guy say there should have been a suspension.

Most comments basically said they couldn't believe Reinhart was getting hosed with a four-game ban...that the IIHF was just trying to flex its muscles.

At the end of it all, its Reinhart's stick swinging, and its his stick contacting the other player in the face. He's responsible for that.

It looked really bad - injury or not.

I have no issue with the four games.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken about the IIHF rules for suspension, they basically just cut Reinhart from Canada for next year's tournament.
    No worries. He was pretty brutal all tournament.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by slufoot View Post
    No worries. He was pretty brutal all tournament.
    Don't disagree but next year he'll be a full year's worth of development better plus he would bring the experience of having played this year, which I think would be immensely valuable. Chuck that out the window with this suspension.
    Last edited by metaldude26; January 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    Oh, I agree. And I made it solely for effect.

These are very, very different issues...but the point I was trying to make is that you can justify any suspension by saying the player didn't mean to do something, but that fate or bad luck (for lack of a better term) made it happen.

Another guy said this was a good "exchange of opininons", but when I wrote my comment I saw maybe one guy say there should have been a suspension.

Most comments basically said they couldn't believe Reinhart was getting hosed with a four-game ban...that the IIHF was just trying to flex its muscles.

At the end of it all, its Reinhart's stick swinging, and its his stick contacting the other player in the face. He's responsible for that.

It looked really bad - injury or not.

I have no issue with the four games.
    Reuben - as "another guy" (nice attention to details there on you part) how many forum members said there should be no suspension before you posted? Maybe two.

From this you start with "wow guys" and then rag on Canadian coaches, fans etc for whining.

State your opinion by all means but put a bit of effort into it.

Dobber Sports Pro

I have no issue with a 4 game suspension on that, he whacked him in the face with his stick.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Padawan

Pretty steep IMO considering no injury on the play and comparing it to the 3 games Jenner received.
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

Dobber Sports Master

Pretty sure they're gonna quietly over-turn the suspension.

See, if you have a high end 2160p tv like me (suck it 1080 losers) you can see the red dot of a laser scope on the American player's helmet. Reinhart saved his life and prevented an international incident. Reinhart doesn't land that slash and we are talking cancelled Olympic hockey and a 5 year hiatus for the world juniors. The kid is a hero.

The IIHF doesn't want the evil forces at work to know that their plan was detected so they are burying it under a 4 game suspension. The Russians are fully aware of the situation and are at present hunting for the anti-hockey terrorist cell as we speak. This is the first big break the IIHF has had in identifying the head of the anti-hockey world conspiracy known only as Ettmanbay.

The behind the scenes details would blow your mind but you gotta ask yourself which is more likely:
    a) Reinhart is as thick as two short planks and lacks sufficient self control to stop himself from whacking an opponent in the face with his stick,
    OR,
    b) He is a hero who, like John McClane in Die Hard, has thwarted a complex plot with the liberal application of gratuitous violence.

I know what I believe.

So yeah, Reinhart is being sacrificed for the greater good here and international hockey (and Russia) are going to repay Canada with gold in Sochi.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Chili con Carne View Post
    Reuben - as "another guy" (nice attention to details there on you part) how many forum members said there should be no suspension before you posted? Maybe two.

From this you start with "wow guys" and then rag on Canadian coaches, fans etc for whining.

State your opinion by all means but put a bit of effort into it.
    Put some effort into it? You're honestly upset that I didn't use your name, and instead referred to your post as "another guy"?

I said Reinhart deserved a suspension and that I saw a bunch of guys defending Reinhart and saying he was getting hosed by the suspension. That's what the "wow guys" was for.

And if you think, after re-reading those first posts, that most guys were okay with the suspension...then you and I are reading different posts.

Most of what I see is guys justifying/explaining how the slash was unintended...or bemoaning what it means for Reinhart's international hockey future.

I'm sorry if that's not how you interpreted the first 7,8 posts, but that's what I read.

But thanks for telling me to "put a bit of effort" into my posts. Clearly, I haven't been doing that for the past few years on this board.

I'll be sure to properly attribute every comment I mention in the future. Would hate to hear from you again..

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    Put some effort into it? You're honestly upset that I didn't use your name, and instead referred to your post as "another guy"?

I said Reinhart deserved a suspension and that I saw a bunch of guys defending Reinhart and saying he was getting hosed by the suspension. That's what the "wow guys" was for.

And if you think, after re-reading those first posts, that most guys were okay with the suspension...then you and I are reading different posts.

Most of what I see is guys justifying/explaining how the slash was unintended...or bemoaning what it means for Reinhart's international hockey future.

I'm sorry if that's not how you interpreted the first 7,8 posts, but that's what I read.

But thanks for telling me to "put a bit of effort" into my posts. Clearly, I haven't been doing that for the past few years on this board.

I'll be sure to properly attribute every comment I mention in the future. Would hate to hear from you again..
    Reuben - not trying to crap on you (or your history/time on this forum) but honestly, if you are going to continue to say things like "Most comments basically said they couldn't believe Reinhart was getting hosed with a four game ban" be prepared to back it up. In pretty much every corner of the world MOST means MAJORITY. Do the math for us. Tell me who the "bunch of guys" are who said Reinhart got "hosed".

As far as not using my name, not offended at all - I only see this as another example of lack of effort.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm not sure what others see at the 32sec mark but , what I don't see is Reinharts' stick "riding" up the shaft of the other players stick ; what I do see is an attempt to shoot the puck from his knee , unfortunately the puck slipped under is stick before he made the attempt to shoot the puck complete.
    So essentially , from what I saw watching the video replay , is Reinhart comes in along the boards battling for the puck , he is being forced to the boards and attempts to shoot the puck at the net from his knee(s).He doesn't fully realize he's lost the puck and takes the shot not knowing the puck isn't there.As he follows through with the shot he nails the American player on the side of the helmet/viser.
    The only thing that I'm not convinced of is whether Reinhart knew he had the puck or not when he attempted the shot , because as you watch it's difficult to say for sure if he's aware he's lost the puck before firing.Common sense tells me I doubt Reinhart fully realized he had lost the puck because it's all happening so fast in real time but , I have to admit that after watching this several times I'm not convinced Reinhart is completely "innocent".It just appears he was aware he'd lost the puck and decided to follow through with the shot anyways in an effort to "slash" the other player in the lower body area.What he didn't know was going to happen is that the other player was going to "fall" as well , placing his head where Reinhart was hoping the lower body would be.
    Kind of like shooting at a target but , missing or having the target move at the last second.
    Before I get blasted for gramma or my use of the English language , please remember I'm not an "educated" person nor am I a dummy and as much as I agree that most and majority are very close in their meanings , they are still different words , how others take things is not something that we can allways control , so RELAX!
    Keep it SMOOTH and POOL ON!
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Genius

Geez in my "blowhard" post I totally forgot to weigh in with whether the suspension was warranted in my opinion.
    Answer YES , too bad if it wasn't fully intentional but , I personally believe Reinhart followed through with the shot knowing he had lost the puck and also knowing the follow through would result in a harsh whack to the lower body of the American player.What he didn't intend was for buddys' head to be where he thought the lower body would be.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Initiate

Some quotes from the IIHF explaining their decision.