Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trying to make room for PKSubban

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Trying to make room for PKSubban

Sorry for the long post.
    Keepers in bold in sig.
    Would like to make room to keep Subban. All gms are from Montreal area and owning some (good) Habs is always an asset for future trades.
    League going from 11 to 12 teams this year. 2 gm dropped their team. Those two teams will be disband. So, 3 new gms who will pick 18 (3x6) keepers after our 54 (9x6).

First question - If I make no trade before the draft, should I keep Subban over Ryan and go with only 2 forwards? What do you think of Ryan? Other gms in my league don't value him really high.

Second question - This is the top keepers options of the 8 returing gms and potential trade partners. If I try to package Ryan and Yandle to get only a forward back then keep Subban, what kind of forward I could/should target? If you are the gm of one of these teams, would you bite to my proposal?

Washington
    Sidney Crosby
    Nicklas Backstrom
    Henrik Sedin
    James Neal
    Jonathan Toews
    Kris Letang
    Erik Karlsson

Detroit
    Joe Thornton
    Pavel Datsyuk
    Jarome Iginla
    Marian Hossa
    Jamie Benn
    Logan Couture
    Duncan Keith
    Pekka Rinne
    Jimmy Howard

Pittsburgh
    Patrick Kane
    Anze Kopitar
    Zach Parise
    Tyler Seguin
    Shea Weber
    Marc-Andre Fleury

Chicago
    Alex Ovechkin
    Ryan Getzlaf
    Henrik Zetterberg
    Martin St. Louis
    Loui Eriksson
    Mark Streit
    Henrik Lundqvist

Philadelphia
    Ilya Kovalchuk
    Patrick Marleau
    Ales Hemsky
    Patrik Elias
    Daniel Sedin
    Mike Green
    Ryan Suter
    Cam Ward

Los Angeles
    Alexander Semin
    Marian Gaborik
    Jason Pominville
    Mikko Koivu
    Dan Boyle
    Tobias Enstrom
    Jonathan Quick

Vancouver
    John Tavares
    Rick Nash
    Paul Stastny
    Phil Kessel
    Matt Duchene
    Taylor Hall
    Alex Pietrangelo
    Ryan Miller

Tampa Bay
    Mike Richards
    David Krejci
    Jeff Skinner
    Patrice Bergeron
    Jordan Staal
    Matt Moulson
    Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    Dany Heatley
    Dion Phaneuf
    Roberto Luongo

Third question - It's very hard to trade players for draft picks in my league. If I'm lucky, Yandle could fetch me a 4th or 5th round pick. Would you be happy to keep Subban and get an extra 4-5 rounder (50th-ish overall after 72 keepers) for Yandle?

Last question - Should I just forget about Subban and go with my 6 bolded keepers?

Thank you very much.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports Stud

I like the idea of trading Ryan and Yandle for an upgrade while keeping Subban.

But you say Ryan for one reason or another doesn't carry much value to the other owners.

Anywho I would send that package towards Washington for Backstrom, doubt they would be likely to accept but it would won't hurt and it isn't completely out of the realm of possibility. But in a keep 6 with his team, it should be shot down.

To Detroit for Benn would be a nice deal for you, and seems to be something one would consider.

I like Getzlaf from Chicago and would hope that the owner is down on Getzlaf after the weak year.

From Philly if you like Marleau more than Ryan, I'm sure he would accept the deal of Ryan and Yandle. But I'd be hesitant to give up on Ryan for Marleau.

LA looks like the weakest team, and has the worst keeper options, but with your offer the only player I would want from him would be Quick, and I doubt the LA owner would be willing to move Quick.

If there is a particular player you like from Tampa I'm sure a deal could be made there, outside of Nugent-Hopkins who I'm sure Tampa will want to have moving forward.

In a keep 6 with the teams presented it's going to be tough to get an upgrade on Ryan, but I would defiantly try.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Out of curiosity what kind of a pick do you think you can get for Subban?

Dobber Sports Pro

In a points only, I wouldn't keep Subban over Yandle, Doughty, or Ryan. If you can flip some players for an elite forward (like previously mentioned), I would hold onto Subban though.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Out of curiosity what kind of a pick do you think you can get for Subban?
    Close to nothing.
    It really is a disadvantage of losing a roster spot by trading a draft pick.
    We dress 14 players/week and we need some bench to cover injuries and/or maximize number of games played.
    Usually, we swap picks for a player. I could get an upgrade in picks for Subban, but my benefit will be way less than the gm getting Subban.
    I prefer to take the chance to redraft him.
    Points only:

[T] Edmonton
    [G]

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    In a points only, I wouldn't keep Subban over Yandle, Doughty, or Ryan. If you can flip some players for an elite forward (like previously mentioned), I would hold onto Subban though.
    Will wait for some other opinions, but if the trend is to keep Yandle, Doughty and Ryan over Subban, this is probably what I'll do.

What can I expect for Ryan over a full season? 65 pts? 70? more?
    He finished even with Getzlaf at 57 last year, only 3 behind Perry.
    Points only:

[T] Edmonton
    [G]

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    Will wait for some other opinions, but if the trend is to keep Yandle, Doughty and Ryan over Subban, this is probably what I'll do.

What can I expect for Ryan over a full season? 65 pts? 70? more?
    He finished even with Getzlaf at 57 last year, only 3 behind Perry.
    Over a full season, with PP1 and first line time, I see Ryan as a 75 pt player. Of course there's upside for a little more, but I can't see him go any lower than the 57 he had last year.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Fellow Trois-Rivières guy, uh? (guessing by your avatar)
    If it's the case we might even know each other irl. Anyways, it's always nice to see some Quebecers on these boards!

Cheers!
    Keeper Pool. Points only. Salary Cap 85M$ (yearly salary, not cap hit). 28 GM League.
    Only the best 11F, 4D, 1G of every teams counts in the standing.

Players list here:
    https://ultimatekeeperspool.com/seattle/

Dobber Sports Ace

The Parise owner only has one Dman worht keeping... Maybe offer him Yandle and Ryan... the problem is that you can only keep 6, and one of Ryan or Yandle probably won't make that cut for his team.

He would get Booby Ryan (72 pts - my prediction for next full season), and Yandle (50 pts - also my prediction).

You'd get Parise (74 - Dobber and many others prediction), though I believe another season away from the knee surgery, a fresh start, and a healthy playmaker or two in Koivu and Suter... yer looking at 84 pts next full season)

IMO, Parise is actually a slight buy low for the first time maybe ever.

I also liked the idea that Essej had in going after Benn before that kid blows up.

If you can't make a trade, what are the chances you could redraft Subban? Seems like your fellow Habs won't trade you for him, but will gobble him up in the draft... I have the same issue in my league but with Flyers players.

Good luck!
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Let's first assume that a trade isn't in the cards - as I look at the rosters in your league, I think the way to go here is to protect Subban and drop Ryan. A 70 point forward and 50 point D man are pretty equivalent, but most teams are going to be hunting for D guys relatively early in the draft and I think you will easily redraft or replace Ryan in the first round.

Now looking at trading Yandle for a 4th or 5th rounder and keeping Subban, I think that's a small win for you - I don't see the point spread between the two being more than 5 on a full year, so getting a pick will advance you one round in the draft that should compensate you those 5 points and very likely more. I would do it, but not a big deal.

Similarly trading Ryan and Yandle for someone like Parise (I personally think Benn is iffy) will also be a small win. So I think in order of priority I would:

1. go for the pick
    2. go after a forward upgrade
    3. drop Ryan

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    The Parise owner only has one Dman worht keeping... Maybe offer him Yandle and Ryan... the problem is that you can only keep 6, and one of Ryan or Yandle probably won't make that cut for his team.

He would get Booby Ryan (72 pts - my prediction for next full season), and Yandle (50 pts - also my prediction).

You'd get Parise (74 - Dobber and many others prediction), though I believe another season away from the knee surgery, a fresh start, and a healthy playmaker or two in Koivu and Suter... yer looking at 84 pts next full season)

IMO, Parise is actually a slight buy low for the first time maybe ever.

I also liked the idea that Essej had in going after Benn before that kid blows up.

If you can't make a trade, what are the chances you could redraft Subban? Seems like your fellow Habs won't trade you for him, but will gobble him up in the draft... I have the same issue in my league but with Flyers players.

Good luck!
    Pittsburgh (Parise owner) laughed at me when I said Ryan was a keeper, so no trade with him.

I think neither Ryan nor Subban would be available for me to redraft because of the expansion predraft. 3 teams need to pick 18 players from 2 dissolved teams and the unprotected players. There isn't 12 keepers in the 2 dissolved teams. There are good (really good) players like Giroux, Staal, Spezza, Byfuglien..., but not enough to garner 3 teams.
    Usually, about 4 forwards, 1,5 d-men and 0,5 goalie per team are protected.
    That means 48 F - Ryan is for sure in the top 48 at 70-ish points.
    That means 18 D - If we consider Subban at 45-50, and add the fact the he's a Habs, that put him in that top 18.
    Points only:

[T] Edmonton
    [G]

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Let's first assume that a trade isn't in the cards - as I look at the rosters in your league, I think the way to go here is to protect Subban and drop Ryan. A 70 point forward and 50 point D man are pretty equivalent, but most teams are going to be hunting for D guys relatively early in the draft and I think you will easily redraft or replace Ryan in the first round.

Now looking at trading Yandle for a 4th or 5th rounder and keeping Subban, I think that's a small win for you - I don't see the point spread between the two being more than 5 on a full year, so getting a pick will advance you one round in the draft that should compensate you those 5 points and very likely more. I would do it, but not a big deal.

Similarly trading Ryan and Yandle for someone like Parise (I personally think Benn is iffy) will also be a small win. So I think in order of priority I would:

1. go for the pick
    2. go after a forward upgrade
    3. drop Ryan
    You're right when you say that D-men go early, but not in the 1st round.
    Last year, only 3 d-men were draft in the 1st round (Pietrangelo 7th, Lidstrom 9th and JJ 11th). But, 8 D-men were draft in the 2nd round.
    Gms want the best available F. It's hard to have a top 4 of 70+ players on your team, so they want to grab that player with the last chance they have to do it.
    Last year 1st rouders F were Parise, Skinner, Eriksson, Briere, Koivu, Eberle, Ribeiro and Vanek.
    The problem is if I drop Ryan to keep Subban, I only keep 2 forwards (ok, those are Malkin and Stamkos, but it's only 2 spots of 9 active per week). Then I would have to load my team with 55 points F for the 3-4 first rounds.
    I would then have close to no power when trading because my 3rd best F would be like their 5th best...
    That was the plan when proposing Ryan + Yandle to get a better F : upgrade my 3rd forward.
    I think that I will go with your #1 and #2 suggestions, but if not, I will keep Ryan over Subban (even tough I prefer Subban than Ryan) just to make sure I don't fall short of forward power going into the draft.
    Sure, you could try to prove me wrong and convice me to do it another way...
    Points only:

[T] Edmonton
    [G]

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    I agdee with AR. Out of all the teams' roster, I think Van should be receptive to bolstering his defense.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    I agdee with AR. Out of all the teams' roster, I think Van should be receptive to bolstering his defense.
    You're right about VAN.
    And if a gm should be incline to take Ryan as a keeper, it is VAN.
    I would REALLY like to grab Tavares from VAN but I doubt he bites for Ryan + Yandle.
    If you're me, wich F from VAN would be a significant upgrade over Ryan?
    If you're VAN, wich F would you accept to send me considering his new 6 keepers including Ryan + Yandle?
    Points only:

[T] Edmonton
    [G]

Dobber Sports Stud

I highly doubt VAN is willing to move Tavares, and even more so I doubt VAN gives up Tavares for the combo of Ryan and Yandle. If VAN wants a second D, you could probably have your pick of any forward from his team, with the exception of Tavares. Personally if I'm VAN i'm not interest, don't think you make good trade partners.

LA is your best bet I think for a trade partner, but I'm not sure I like any of those guys over Ryan. Gaborik and Semin are always questions mark, but if you want to gamble I'm LA would probably be inclined to give up on one, Semin being more unlikely than Gaborik, but I myself would probably only settle for Gaborik.

Tampa would I'm sure would love Yandle, but again outside of Nugent-Hopkins nothing is too appealing there.

Does Team matter? Do you get points if your team wins? Can you trade your team for another Team? If so you might be able to do something worthwhile in trade, but as a Montreal fan not sure you want to give up Montreal. Or is it all just for show?