Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can/should I get Eberle?

Dobber Sports Stud

As an Eberle owner, your offer is a good starting point. I would need to know the other GM's needs before I could answer.

If I (based on my sig.) were to trade him, it would be for help in goal and a replacemnt body at forward, but he has huge value right now and you will need to overpay (within reason). Right now, I would need an offer to blow me away to even consider it. Not only is he the sexy pick right now, but he is backing it up with his play on the ice.
    F-Jarvis,Aho,Mittlestadt,Byfield,Berggren,Brink,Chyt il,Dach,Kakko,Kaliyev,
    Cooley,Newhook,Macelli,Marchenko,Meier,Michkov,Per fetti,Reichel,Stankoven

D-Bean,Hutson,Mateychuk,Mintyukov,Seider,Addison,Kor chinski

G-Kotchetkov,Oettinger,Wallstedt,Dostal,Knight,Taras ov

F-G,A=1pt (14 count)
    D-G,A=2pt,+- (8 count)
    G-Win=2pts,T=1,SO=1,G,A=1 (3 count)

12 Team Dynasty

Having a talent like Eberle on your team is a great asset to have; however, I truly believe he is overrated. I think Eberle tops out at PPG or maybe slightly above that, but that's it.

I play in a multi-cat 16 team league with the following cats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMs, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits and BS. Eberle will get great production in probably just 4 categories here, G, A, P, PPP and maybe GWG, which is pretty much a crap shoot every year.

Because he is over-hyped, I was able to make the following trade:

Eberle + Paajarvi + Petry + 2013 1st round pick (prob 13-16 overall); for

Seguin + R. Ellis + 2015 2nd round pick (prob 19-23 overall).

I think Seguin has more upside, less competition for prime ice time plus I got a potential stud D thrown in. As much as I like Eberle, I think that if you can get a GM to overpay for him, then you should be looking to sell high on him.

I also see Eberle getting bumped off of the 1st line because Yakupov is probably going to be a much better player than Eberle. Eberle will get his PP time still, but he won't be getting the same minutes as Hall, RNH and Yakupov.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTSchmidt View Post
    It should be noted that only one 30-goal scorer shot a higher percentage than Eberle last year: Steven Stamkos. I'm not really buying into the idea he can maintain the .189 shooting percentage, but I do think he can be a point-per-game-player due to increased development and a better Edmonton power play.
    He doesn't need to maintain that % because as he matures and gains more confidence in his shot he will shoot more. The sh% argument irritates me because you are assuming he will only take 180 shots per season for the rest of his career, which is just plain dumb.
    Dynasty - $100/yr buy-in - YEAR 8 - $100M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C - Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf
    LW - Pavelski, Domi
    RW - Seguin, Perry
    D - Letang, OEL, Carlson, Hamilton, J. Schultz
    Util - M. Koivu, Aho, Spooner, Atkinson
    G - Rask, Quick

BENCH
    Brassard, Bjugstad, Jagr, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Buchnevich, Ekblad, Beaulieu, Severson, Lundqvist
    PROSPECT
    Puljujarvi, Boeser, Barzal, Dal Colle, Fiala, Sergachev, Lindell

FOUR TIME DEFENDING CHAMPION

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    Having a talent like Eberle on your team is a great asset to have; however, I truly believe he is overrated. I think Eberle tops out at PPG or maybe slightly above that, but that's it.

I play in a multi-cat 16 team league with the following cats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMs, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits and BS. Eberle will get great production in probably just 4 categories here, G, A, P, PPP and maybe GWG, which is pretty much a crap shoot every year.

Because he is over-hyped, I was able to make the following trade:

Eberle + Paajarvi + Petry + 2013 1st round pick (prob 13-16 overall); for

Seguin + R. Ellis + 2015 2nd round pick (prob 19-23 overall).

I think Seguin has more upside, less competition for prime ice time plus I got a potential stud D thrown in. As much as I like Eberle, I think that if you can get a GM to overpay for him, then you should be looking to sell high on him.

I also see Eberle getting bumped off of the 1st line because Yakupov is probably going to be a much better player than Eberle. Eberle will get his PP time still, but he won't be getting the same minutes as Hall, RNH and Yakupov.
    In your league Eberle is not as valuable Woodrow. But the OP isn't in your league, he is in a points only league. In my multi-cat dynasty, Eberle is HUGE because his cap hit is only $1.1m for two more years. That makes him especially valuable even though he doesn't fill all the cats. It's all relative.
    Dynasty - $100/yr buy-in - YEAR 8 - $100M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C - Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf
    LW - Pavelski, Domi
    RW - Seguin, Perry
    D - Letang, OEL, Carlson, Hamilton, J. Schultz
    Util - M. Koivu, Aho, Spooner, Atkinson
    G - Rask, Quick

BENCH
    Brassard, Bjugstad, Jagr, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Buchnevich, Ekblad, Beaulieu, Severson, Lundqvist
    PROSPECT
    Puljujarvi, Boeser, Barzal, Dal Colle, Fiala, Sergachev, Lindell

FOUR TIME DEFENDING CHAMPION

Dobber Sports Genius

Mark my word, Ebs will make a lot of people on here eat their words.

Get him now and overpay if you have to. His value will only go up.

Voted #1 World Jr. player for Canada most recently on TSN. Ahead of of the likes of Tavares, Lindros, Gretzky, Toews.....

I laugh when I hear "70 point player"......he will be a consistent 80-90 point player for the next decade. With 92+ point potential when the stars DO align.

Star wingers with stud potential are hard to come by, good luck in your quest for #14.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Fush View Post
    He doesn't need to maintain that % because as he matures and gains more confidence in his shot he will shoot more. The sh% argument irritates me because you are assuming he will only take 180 shots per season for the rest of his career, which is just plain dumb.
    Well said.

I don't have much to contribute to this thread but I came on here to make this point as well. I've heard that he has been quite selective in his shot taking, which explains his high percentage on a (relative) low number of shots. But being young and on a growing offensive team, there is reason enough to believe that he could take more shots in the coming years, giving him similar goal totals but with a lesser percentage. That means that he can still be a very good point producer in the future - perhaps PPG or above - and still maintain a more realistic and consistent shooting percentage (15% for example). That offense could be scarily good in a few years, and if he gets the prime minutes, then I don't see any reason that last year has to be his peak.

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks everyone for the replies. Interesting to see the different viewpoints on Eberle.

I didn't get a chance to answer some of the questions, so I'll try to get to them now.

The other GM's team looks like this:

Forwards:Toews, Marleau, Thornton, Parise, Neal, RNH, Fleishmann, Couturier, Selanne, Eberle
    Defence: Kronwall, Edler, Wideman, Erhoff, Seabrook
    Goalies: Luongo, Rinne

He came third last year, but fifth or sixth the year before that.

My theory is to make an offer where I get Eberle and Selanne for whatever I package. I'll be taking a chance Selanne plays this season, but it might help convince him to make the deal.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Wizard

The only thing that I can think of that might prevent Eberle from getting PPG+ consistently is the fact that there are only so many points to go around and with EDM having Hall and RNH and emerging Yakupov, they might eat some of Eberle's points.

Having said that, I too am a big fan too. Just offered Datsyuk and Dougie Hamilton for him in my full keeper league.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    The only thing that I can think of that might prevent Eberle from getting PPG+ consistently is the fact that there are only so many points to go around and with EDM having Hall and RNH and emerging Yakupov, they might eat some of Eberle's points.

Oh, I don't agree with this.

There is only so much ice-time to go around, THAT is true.
    But points, nah. Points BREED.

If the Capitals played Ovechkin with schmucks on Line1 & PP1, maybe he gets only 60pts.
    If the Capitals played Backstrom with schmucks on Line2 & PP2, maybe he gets only 60pts.
    Pair them together and they can each get 90-100pts.

It's not like a team is capped by scoring a certain amount of points. If you put three dynamite players on Line1 and PP1 they can all explode together.
    I would say you may be correct in that not all FOUR can possibly have a ton of points, but I certainly think the top THREE can explode.

The only thing that could possibly hurt Eberle is being pushed to line 2 and not getting to play with Hall and/or RNH.
    I don't see that happening. He's their best player, IMO.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; December 21, 2012 at 9:23 AM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Oh, I don't agree with this.

There is only so much ice-time to go around, THAT is true.
    But points, nah. Points BREED.

If the Capitals played Ovechkin with schmucks on Line1 & PP1, maybe he gets only 60pts.
    If the Capitals played Backstrom with schmucks on Line2 & PP2, maybe he gets only 60pts.
    Pair them together and they can each get 90-100pts.

It's not like a team is capped by scoring a certain amount of points. If you put three dynamite players on Line1 and PP1 they can all explode together.
    I would say you may be correct in that not all FOUR can possibly have a ton of points, but I certainly think the top THREE can explode.

The only thing that could possibly hurt Eberle is being pushed to line 2 and not getting to play with Hall and/or RNH.
    I don't see that happening. He's their best player, IMO.
    I don't remember that last team that consistently had THREE players producing at PPG pace. And yes, I am thinking EDM will have FOUR with Yakupov emerging as a force soon. But all that may be worry for nothing. As you say Eberle is their best(well, maybe tied for best) player.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I don't remember that last team that consistently had THREE players producing at PPG pace.
    In 2009-2010, not too long ago:
    They also did it in 2008-2009.
    So... two years in a row, 3 guys at PPG.

Ovechkin: 109pts in 72games
    Backstrom: 101pts in 82games
    Semin: 84pts in 73games

[Back then, they played as a line. Then Boudreau went and split them all up after a failed playoffs, inserting Knuble as RW1 for 2010-2011.]

That Capitals team is the perfect comparison for the potential in these Oilers.

Dobber Sports Wizard

In 2009-2010, not too long ago:
    They also did it in 2008-2009.
    So... two years in a row, 3 guys at PPG.

Ovechkin: 109pts in 72games
    Backstrom: 101pts in 82games
    Semin: 84pts in 73games

[Back then, they played as a line. Then Boudreau went and split them all up after a failed playoffs, inserting Knuble as RW1 for 2010-2011.]

That Capitals team is the perfect comparison for the potential in these Oilers.
    Yeah, but that was one year when everything went well for them. I meant consistently as in a period over more than a year or two.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah, but that was one year when everything went well for them. I meant consistently as in a period over more than a year or two.

Well, it was two years.

And Boudreau split Semin off the line in an attempt to try and create two balanced scoring lines. The Oilers now have enough talent in their top 6 where they don't need to try to put a talented guy on line 2... it will happen by default. So the Oilers top line is going to have 3 solid players for a longer period of time than the Capitals could.

Anyways, you are grasping at straws here with your argument.

The point is that pairing top-talent players: Sedins, Stamkos-MSL, Hull-Oates, Jagr-Lemieux-(Stevens!), Gretzky-Kurri is going to elevate their numbers.

I mean... Kevin Stevens! How does a guy like that put up 4.5 straight PPG seasons!!! Well, you let him ride shotgun with Lemieux-Jagr.

It doesn't matter if we are talking about TWO guys or THREE guys on a line. Top line talent breeds points. Talented players pull each other's point totals up. As the young Oilers get better and adjust to the NHL, it will pull all of their points up. We haven't even seen Hall, RNH, Eberle healthy together for a year. When it happens... if it happens, they'll all be PPG players. I'd bet my bank account on this. Over the next 3 years, when three of the Oil young-four play together on a line, those players will ALL be PPG for those games.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; December 21, 2012 at 9:49 AM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Anyways, you are grasping at straws here with your argument.
    Maybe. As I said, I might worry about that a little, I'm not claiming Eberle will not produce because there are four legitimate PPG players in EDM.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    Mark my word, Ebs will make a lot of people on here eat their words.

Get him now and overpay if you have to. His value will only go up.

Voted #1 World Jr. player for Canada most recently on TSN. Ahead of of the likes of Tavares, Lindros, Gretzky, Toews.....

I laugh when I hear "70 point player"......he will be a consistent 80-90 point player for the next decade. With 92+ point potential when the stars DO align.

Star wingers with stud potential are hard to come by, good luck in your quest for #14.
    Has anyone here suggested he's a 70 point player (edit: ok, there are some saying 70-80)? I think most arguments have been PPG vs 90-100. I can't see him above 90. Probably sticking around 80 most years.

Being voted the #1 world Jr. player is not relevant. It has more to do with the type of goals he scored and how important they were and not how he would dominate a game. He is a clutch player, and will always be one of my favourites, but you have to call a spade a spade. I can't seem him breaking 90-92.

I would advise against overpaying for him now. Wait until the end of next season as some of the hype will undoubtedly ware off; then go after him.
    Last edited by Kofax; December 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM.