Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another one of those trading for Crosby threads

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Just to note, there are people like myself who are very annoyed with this approach. It really is a turn-off for me. Usually I just reply saying I don't know what it would take because I'm not actively trading the guy (otherwise I would be the one seeking out trade scenarios) so knock my socks off and we'll talk.
    LOL. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I get a lot of offers like that, too, and I tend to respond like you. And after that, I'm normally turned off with the offer. I guess one has to just GO HARD! I do feel asking in this way more often than not is the way to go, especially when going after an stud.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rticinelli View Post
    If I'm the Crosby owner in your league, I'd have a hard time getting past the fact that you're unwilling to trade away your best player (Malkin) when you're asking me to give up the best player in the world. Simple as that.

Generally speaking, whatever you are thinking of offering is probably still not enough for Crosby.
    rticinelli, I'm curious...How much bitching do you hear about owning Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, lundqvist and giroux? I think we need to.start a support group. Private message me, I'd like to chat about it

Now for Crosby....Tavares and Stamkos seems fair to me. Tavares is awesome.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

The Wolverine

Yeah I know, another one of those tedious Crosby threads. Since we have no hockey, I'm trying to make a splash in my league and wake everybody up from hibernation. I'm looking at acquiring Crosby but not sure what assets too start with. Malkin is not on the table however.

I was thinking of one of Tavares OR RNH as a starting point and then going from there. Not worried about giving up picks since I'm generally in the top 3 each season. Not really interested in giving up Hall either since he is my only elite (or semi Elite bandaid boy) LWer. I have a good group of prospects as well that may be of interest as well. Can dangle Goligoski or Girardi as well since I have B Smith and Orlov waiting in the wings too.

Or should I just stay the course and avoid the risk associated with Crosby?

Team and league details are in sig

16 TM DYNASTY G A +- PIM PPG PPA SHP FW SOG
    Hits Blks GS W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3C, 3RW, 3LW,2F,6D,1Util,2G,5BN,5IR
    25 Player Farm

Penguins
    C- Malkin, Tavares, RNH, J Thornton, Turris, Johansen, Cullen
    LW- Hall, SK, Cooke, Clifford, Rinaldo
    RW- Gaborik, D Brown, Wheeler, Clutterback, Dorsett
    D-Letang, Goligoski, Salo, Girardi, Faulk, Zanon
    G- Fleury, Rinne

Farm - Grimaldi, Faska, JT Brown, Morin, Beach, Tangradi, Pulkinnen, Spooner, Miele, C Conacher, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Rattie, Brunner, Orlov, Dehann, B Smith, Klefbom, Clendening, Thrower, Irving, Kuemper, Rynnas, Hovinen
    If you wanted Crosby from me, I would insist on Malkin coming back. Nothing less. Trying to add extra players to Tavares is just adding quantity to make it appear like you are giving more. Goligoski or Girardi? Largely irrelevant when you are trying to pry Crosby off someone.

Unless my depth was horrible. For the sake of curiosity, what does the other team look like?

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by NikW71 View Post
    Almost looking like I should just stay the course with my current team. Maybe looking a strengthening my LWer slot may be the way to go.
    That might be a more sensible option.

By the way, just a general suggestion, you should specify what type of league in your signature.
    Last edited by horrorfan; December 1, 2012 at 3:49 AM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    For the sake of curiosity, what does the other team look like?
    Finally, someone asked an important question.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    That might be a more sensible option.

By the way, just a general suggestion, you should specify what type of league in your signature.
    Added H2H in case that is what you were wondering about. Otherwise all the details are there

Quote Originally Posted by rticinelli View Post
    If I'm the Crosby owner in your league, I'd have a hard time getting past the fact that you're unwilling to trade away your best player (Malkin) when you're asking me to give up the best player in the world. Simple as that.

Generally speaking, whatever you are thinking of offering is probably still not enough for Crosby.
    Very good advice coming from the guy that has Crosby and Malkin lol! Interesting to hear how you acquired them instead of making it sound impossible.

I would seem to think that Malkin plus Tavares/RNH is a little to rich for my blood when arguably Malkin is the better player and more durable (although that may be the kettle calling the other black). The only thing that I can see me gaining is FOW for certain and nothing more in another category that justifies sending another blue chip player along with the so called #2. I would definitely do Tavares and RNH plus however.

Was just gauging what the value was and guess I'll wait for the other GM to get back to me and see if his demands are more reasonable. Thanks for the responses so far
    Last edited by NikW71; December 1, 2012 at 2:31 PM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    Ask the other GM, "what would it take to land Crosby?" and go from there.

Instead of wondering who to move, I'd ask the other GM for a response and go from there. And hope he doesn't want to clean your cupboards. Good luck.
    Contrary to what a few others in this thread believe, I think this is a very bad approach.

You want to be the person to table the FIRST offer. It sets the tone for the negotiation and more important it establishes an ANCHOR (meaning ultimately if there's a deal, it will fall closer to where the anchor was initially established). The first offer should be slightly lopsided but not to the point where it's insulting.

If someone just simply asked me what it would take to land Player X, I would shoot for the moon because I would know they are desperate, meaning I establish the anchor.

Secondly, it just shows a lack of effort and research when you just ask someone what it will take... YOU'RE the one who wants THEIR player... so YOU come up with a package that might attract their interest.

I can't imagine ANY GM in the NHL calling up Yzerman and asking "hey buddy, what would it take to get Stamkos off you" lol

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Contrary to what a few others in this thread believe, I think this is a very bad approach.

You want to be the person to table the FIRST offer. It sets the tone for the negotiation and more important it establishes an ANCHOR (meaning ultimately if there's a deal, it will fall closer to where the anchor was initially established). The first offer should be slightly lopsided but not to the point where it's insulting.

If someone just simply asked me what it would take to land Player X, I would shoot for the moon because I would know they are desperate, meaning I establish the anchor.

Secondly, it just shows a lack of effort and research when you just ask someone what it will take... YOU'RE the one who wants THEIR player... so YOU come up with a package that might attract their interest.

I can't imagine ANY GM in the NHL calling up Yzerman and asking "hey buddy, what would it take to get Stamkos off you" lol
    Good point! I can't really argue with you even though it goes against what I previously said in this thread. I've had both work for me, but I really think I've had more luck with the quick question to start.

But I totally understand your point with setting the tone for the negotiation.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think it is near impossible to trade for Crosby.

The opposing owner would want too much (Tavares, Hall, plus prospects or a goalie) and risk is too high coming back.

Don't destroy a very strong team for 87.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by NikW71 View Post
    Very good advice coming from the guy that has Crosby and Malkin lol! Interesting to hear how you acquired them instead of making it sound impossible.
    I traded for Crosby after the 2006-07 season. I gave up Lecavalier, Jagr, Selanne and Brodeur for him. Remember, this was right after Lecavalier put up 108 points, Jagr followed up a 123-point campaign the year before with a 96-point season, Selanne put up 94 points for his second consecutive 90-point season, and Brodeur won the Vezina Trophy with 48 wins, 12 shutouts, and awesome GAA/SV%. So, it was a hefty price tag, and it actually took me about a year or two to rebuild my team depth.

Malkin I lucked into. Nobody in my league drafted him the first two years after his draft year because of the uncertainty over whether he would come to North America. I ended up winning the draft lottery the summer before his rookie season, when talk began of him trying to come over. So, I grabbed him with my 1st overall pick.

He's the only one of my keepers who I drafted, though. The rest were acquired via trades... sometimes paying through the nose to get the guy I wanted (Lundqvist, Crosby), and other times timing the trade so it happens before they bust out (Giroux, Letang, Yandle).

It's obviously not impossible to trade for Crosby... especially now, after two years of shaky health... but his price tag is very, very high. Even higher in the mind of his current owner than in that of the person trying to acquire him.
    15 GM Keeper League w/Roto Scoring (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HITS | W, GAA, SV%, SHO)
    Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G (23-man rosters) | Protect 10 players w/a max of 1 goalie

C - Crosby*, Malkin* (C/R), Tavares*, Giroux* (C/R)
    L - Duchene* (C/L),
    Marleau* (C/L), Galchenyuk (C/L), Ott (C/L), Lee (C/L)
    R - Kane* (C/R), St. Louis, Neil, Clutterbuck
    D - Yandle*, Carlson*, Gardiner, Gudas, Daley, Bieksa, Schenn
    G - Lundqvist*, Rinne, Kuemper