Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher

Dobber Sports Ninja

You guys talk about "quality" like as if if it's some concrete, measurable metric. Similar to music, "quality" acting is in the eye of the beholder.

While far from being the perfect indicator of "quality", the one thing that is measurable in that industry is lasting power and box office $$$$$. Show me the money son!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    While far from being the perfect indicator of "quality", the one thing that is measurable in that industry is lasting power and box office $$$$$. Show me the money son!
    Well said. In the end, if you draw the money you win. Let the people speak with their wallets and tell us who is the best.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    And my point is that no one rakes in big dough on artsy movies, so how is that whole line of argument even relevant?

What does it matter if he is more about hits? He's proven plenty of times that he's a good actor and the fact is that there is a very limited number of leading men that can consistently carry blockbuster movies. He's one of very few and that has to count for something, in addition to his quality work. Is it suddenly wrong that he's raking in the dough? His big hits are hardly bad movies...
    i guess we just have differing opinions on what is "quality"...

in my mind, money at the box office is irrelevant...

otherwise i would have to concede that movies like harry potter and transformers are the best movies of all time...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
    otherwise i would have to concede that movies like harry potter and transformers are the best movies of all time...
    YO... don't diss Harry Potter. That's my boy... and that entire series was epic. I'm being serious.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    YO... don't diss Harry Potter. That's my boy... and that entire series was epic. I'm being serious.
    The movie for the half-blooded prince really sucked. I fell asleep while watching it in the theatres. Did not do the book justice.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
    i guess we just have differing opinions on what is "quality"...

in my mind, money at the box office is irrelevant...

That's not what I'm saying... But I'm too tired to go into it now. Bedtime.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    So im assuming the books are worth a read? Im still getting through The Dark Tower series which came so heavily recommended on this board...but im always up for another one.
    Yes, the books are well worth it. Start with the Killing Floor, and try to go in order. The books are standalone, and for the most part don't relate to each other at all (except for Reacher), but it's better to read them in the order they were released.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

Cool

Do yourself a favor and read the Reacher series starting at the beginning. His character development as the books progress wins you over bigtime. 61 hours was a bit of a let down, however the latest A wanted Man is very good. The Movie is based on the Reacher character and not any book in particular.

Regardless of Cruise appeal or box office $$$ haul factor, once you read Lee Child you would never picture Cruise as Reacher.

A very good series to read....and yes I'll see the movie and probably enjoy it regardless of the casting... cheers
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    4 weekly goalie appearances minimum
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett
    LW: E.Kane, Kaprizov
    LW/C: Draisaitl, Stutzle
    RW: Marner
    RW/C: T.Thompson, Necas
    RW/LW: Svechnikov
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Sergachev, Gudas
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Veteran

Cool

Once you have read Lee Child - Reacher series
    There are other awesome books along the same lines as Reacher, I'm suprised haven't become movies :

John Sandford - Prey Series with Lucas Davenport
    John Sandford - Virgil Flowers series
    Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch series
    Jeffery Deaver - Lincoln Rhyme series

I wish I knew my fantasy hockey as well as I know my literary characters... cheers
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    4 weekly goalie appearances minimum
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett
    LW: E.Kane, Kaprizov
    LW/C: Draisaitl, Stutzle
    RW: Marner
    RW/C: T.Thompson, Necas
    RW/LW: Svechnikov
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Sergachev, Gudas
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Dennis Lehane's Kenzie/Gennaro series is also top notch.

For a one-shot detective story that is awesome I can recommend Motherless Brooklyn. It's about a New York detective with Tourette's syndrome.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Once you have read Lee Child - Reacher series
    There are other awesome books along the same lines as Reacher, I'm suprised haven't become movies :

John Sandford - Prey Series with Lucas Davenport
    John Sandford - Virgil Flowers series
    Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch series
    Jeffery Deaver - Lincoln Rhyme series

I wish I knew my fantasy hockey as well as I know my literary characters... cheers
    The Prey series was one that I was actually considering starting. I need to get more consistent with reading books though, when I was younger I would read all the time but nowadays I tend to buy a book or two and it'll sit on the shelf collecting dust for a couple months before I get around to reading it.

I think that's going to be the next series I start though.

Dobber Sports Guru

The Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben is pretty good too. I think there's 10 books in the series. Bolitar is a former first round NBA draft pick who busted his knee and never got to play a regular season game. Now he's a sports agent who is also an amateur detective (for lack of a better term). He solves mysteries involving his clients. It's a pretty good series.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Saw the trailer for this... seems legit. You may not like cruise but I think he is ok in these action roles. Although, it just feels like watching mission impossible under a new spy name lol.
    Keep4+rookie under 150gp (14 teams): G,A,+/-,PIM,SHP,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW, W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO [Keepers: E Staal, Parise, Backes, Malkin, (R) Desharnais]

- Some people are like slinkies, they don't seem to have a purpose but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs... -

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    The Prey series was one that I was actually considering starting. I need to get more consistent with reading books though, when I was younger I would read all the time but nowadays I tend to buy a book or two and it'll sit on the shelf collecting dust for a couple months before I get around to reading it.

I think that's going to be the next series I start though.
    Get an eReader . I got a KoboVox lastyear for XMAS, i've read about 13 books this year. It is the opposite of out of site out of mind... since the Vox also is a tablet sort of... wifi, browser, android, etc...

Good subway reading on my voyage to work and back.

Before I got it, I barely read...
    Keep4+rookie under 150gp (14 teams): G,A,+/-,PIM,SHP,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW, W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO [Keepers: E Staal, Parise, Backes, Malkin, (R) Desharnais]

- Some people are like slinkies, they don't seem to have a purpose but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs... -

Dobber Sports Guru

Has anyone seen the movie yet? Is it any good?