Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should I drop Neuvirth?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Should I drop Neuvirth?

Is Holtby a safe enough bet to land the starter's gig that I can cut Neuvy loose?

I only have 4 reserve spots and really don't want three tenders. However, it may be better to see how it plays out first - I'd kick myself if Neuvy landed the starters gig and I bet on the wrong horse.
    Last edited by loco man; October 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Ninja

No, I would not drop Neuvirth because I think he will give Holtby a run for his money.

Though I must say, in a one goalie start league you have one of the most secure options in Rinne....so it's really up to you.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Holtby is not at all the anointed starter at this point. They will fight it out and Neuvirth has A LOT more experience and has also won more. Neuvirth has only ever lost one playoff series and that was against Tampa Bay in 2011. Before that he won FOURTEEN playoff rounds in a row. You think Holtby is clutch? Well, Neuvy is clutch too.

If you drop Neuvy now, I'd say that you are pretty much guaranteed to regret it.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

I would not drop him either - in a 19 team league I think goalies should be at a premium, even if you only start 1. If you guess wrong you are losing out on a prime asset. I would be more inclined to be patient and wait it out.

I can see the probelm with carrying three goalies but would at least wait until you have some injuries that are forcing your hand.

Dobber Sports Star

I originally had Neuvy and traded for Holtby just to secure Washington's goalies, as they have a VERY compatible schedule with Nashville. Something like 50 games on nights when Nashville doesn't play, so I will get lots of starts from my second tender.

My plan was/is to see how it shakes out over the first few weeks and hope that one or the other emerges as the #1, then drop the other guy.

It kinda sucks that I have no dropable players (Gilbert I guess, though D are scarce) and I like to have someone on the cusp of dropping to grab whoever is a sleeper out of camp (guys like Wolksi, Tlusty etc), but I agree that now is probably too early to make that decision.

thanks all!

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    It's Holtby's job to lose, no doubt in my mind.
    He was the main reason for their playoff success last year, and Neuvirth (although given multiple chances) has continually failed to seize his opportunities.

Having said that, I would not drop Neuvirth in a deep keeper league. Still too early, although time is running out for him to legitimately establish himself as an NHL goalie.
    Continually failed to seize his opportunities?

He's done nothing but beat the odds and exceed expectations leading up to the 10/11 season. Varlamov was always the rock star, but Neuvy always got the better results and was the calm counterpart.

He put himself into starter position for the 2011 playoffs when he had just turned 23, which is young for most goalies. He won against the Rangers but failed against Tampa. Even so, he still put up 2.34/.912% for those two playoff rounds. He beat out Varlamov to be the starter and then the Caps traded Varlamov to Colorado and Neuvirth was poised to be the starter from the beginning of 11/12. Then suddenly Tomas Vokoun offers himself to Washington for a one-year contract that is nutty cheap. GM George McPhee probably went "can't pass this up, I guess Neuvy isn't the starter anymore, but he'll learn plenty from Vokoun as they're both Czech".

Throughout the season he's fairly mediocre mainly because he never gets to establish a rhythm (just ask Justin Goldman), but he gets his act together for the end of the season. During the season Vokoun isn't exactly lights out either and Holtby is only ordinary in the AHL for Hershey. Fast forward to the end of 11/12 and Neuvirth is yet again in March establishing himself as the go-to goalie for the playoffs. Then Neuvy gets hurt and since Vokoun is hurt too the team has no choice but to play Holtby, who happens to shine for two playoff series.

Now, please tell me how he has continually failed to seize his opportunities. It's fascinating reading the revisionist history some people have been trying to put forth here on DobberHockey just because Braden Holtby came out of nowhere. You forget Neuvy's accomplishments and the fact that he beat Varlamov for the starter spot before the really random Vokoun signing happened. Seriously, McPhee didn't even ask Vokoun, Vokoun came to Washington with the lowest of low-ball offers against himself.

Facts are your friend, people. To say that Holtby is the no-brainer starter is one thing and one thing only: Ignorant.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Genius

Who can you pick up from the waiver wire? If there isnt anyone worth picking up why would you want to get rid of one of your goalies? If you have a player in mind let us know who he is and we will let you know if it is a good idea or not.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If you have Neuvirth AND Holtby then you're in a terrific position and should hang on to both. At least for this upcoming season.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Facts are facts indeed... and Neuvirth's "facts" (i.e. his stats) have gotten worse every year the past 3 seasons. If he played in Toronto, they would have run him out of town by now.
    An NHL goalie behind a conservative team (since Hunter took over) just BARELY puts up a .900 save pct, and you're saying he's seized his opportunity?! Please.
    "Res ipsa loquiter"... if HE SEIZED HIS OPPORTUNITIES THIS THREAD WOULD NOT EXIST.

And, give me a break... as if Washington only signed Vokoun because he threw himself at them. The fact is, the Caps don't trust Neuvirth. They've shown that consistently. The Varlamov trade was all about extracting a huge return and knowing that they eventually needed to make room for Holtby anyway.
    Why don't you answer my question instead of deflecting and changing the topic?

Again, aside from the Tampa Bay series, which came after a great Rangers series, when has he ever failed to seize opportunities? It's his fault that he got injured at the end of last season? It wasn't even a serious injury, but it was timed perfectly for Holtby. How is he responsible for that injury? And where are all his other numerous opportunities that he has squandered, as you make it out to be?

Yeah, every goalie who ever lost one single playoff series FAILED TO SEIZE ALL OF HIS OPPORTUNITIES!!!111

That's just ignorant BS right there.

Edit: To put this to you in plain English, since you were obviously unable to comprehend basic English the last time: HE WAS THE ****ING STARTER JUST BEFORE THE 2012 PLAYOFFS STARTED BUT HE GOT INJURED!
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by DerekReese View Post
    Who can you pick up from the waiver wire? If there isnt anyone worth picking up why would you want to get rid of one of your goalies? If you have a player in mind let us know who he is and we will let you know if it is a good idea or not.
    No one in particular just wondering in general if Holtby is the man. Guys i would be looking at are players who seize opportunities like a Wolski, Tlusty, Kassian, Caron etc.

Either way id be waiting to see how things shake out in the first few weeks. Really, i was just gauging Neuvy's value. Sure looks like hes still got plenty.

No choice but to roll with the tandem

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Giant

id keep the tandem even though i belive in holtby.
    as crazy as it sounds, what do you think you could get from trading rhinne???
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsrangers View Post
    id keep the tandem even though i belive in holtby.
    as crazy as it sounds, what do you think you could get from trading rhinne???
    Oh boy now you did it. The wheels are turning lol.

I traded Duchene straight for Rinne in what was considered a bit of a de-pantsing in my favor. Id likely get a stud D or fwd, but i think im gonna stick with him

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

HE WAS THE ****ING STARTER BECAUSE THEY HAD NO OTHER VIABLE OPTION AT THAT TIME.

See, I can write in caps too.

You have no case. Like I already wrote, if he had seized his opportunities, this thread would not exist. Any goalie with declining stats in his last 3 seasons and a SV PCT of .900 has SEIZED NOTHING.

Holtby is the starter. His job to lose.
    And Dobber agrees with that assessment. Nuff said.
    You are an idiot, plain and simple.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Star

Wow wasn't quite expecting the firestorm, but in the end it looks like Neuvy/Holts is more valuable together than rolling the dice on Holts and waiver X at this point.

Thanks again to all for your comments

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I don't believe either Neuvirth or Holtby can be considered the front-runner.
    The Caps have a completely new coach (Oates).

I'm actually amazed that Holtby is going so high in drafts & Neuvirth is going so low.
    Holtby played better in his NHL stints last year, but that is a very, very small sample size to draw from.

Neuvirth guided the Hershey Bears to Calder Cup championships in 2009 & 2010.
    Yes, it's a smaller stage, but a championship is still a championship.

There is no clear-cut frontrunner in the Caps goalie situation, IMO.
    At least not until we see Oates ice the team for 3-4 straight games.