Thread: Do I have room for Kesler?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Do I have room for Kesler?

Second team in my sig.

Someone just dropped Kesler (I think he is worried that the season is about to start and wants guys who are ready to play) and I am wondering if I can make room to pick him up.

Since the league is shallow (7 teams) there is some decent talent on the wire, especially on D (Carle, Kulikov, Wideman, Gonchar, E. Johnson, OEL). I am thinking of dropping Burns (or Shatty) for Kesler. This would still leave me with 4 good D and would give me some added depth at forward (enough dual eligibility guys that I should be able to cover any forward position) and possibly position me for trades later on. Keep in mind that we are set for 86 games per slot so I would need to work in some extra D games in there somewhere.

I have third waiver priority but think I would wait for Kesler to hit free agency.

Any thoughts?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Those are both your teams? I'd consider dropping Gonchar first. I like him, but he's older, could get injured and Burns still has upside. Getting Kesler's a good idea since you have a FOW category too...

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Krysmo View Post
    Those are both your teams? I'd consider dropping Gonchar first. I like him, but he's older, could get injured and Burns still has upside. Getting Kesler's a good idea since you have a FOW category too...
    Both my teams but two different leagues - the one where Kesler was dropped is the second league (7 team league). No FOW in this league.

I would drop Gonchy in a heartbeat for Kesler in my first league but so far not an option!

Dobber Sports Ace

I would be tempted to drop Burns for Kessler... Not Shattenkirk though. If you decided to drop a forward though, that would be tough. I'm not a big Semin fan, but that's just me.
    Yahoo! H2H, 1 year, 12 teams, Daily starts
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HITS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN, IR, 3IR+
    Used 41/45 moves
    ---------------------
    C} Matthews, Barkov, Hertl
    LW} B.Tkachuk(C), Guentzel, Nichushkin(RW)
    RW} Miller(C), Rust, Schmaltz(C)
    D} Josi, Fox, Dobson, Carlson
    G} Nedeljkovic, Daccord, Grubauer, Pickard
    IR} Demko
    IR+} Neighbours

via GIPHY

Dobber Sports Ninja

Tough call man, I'd be tempted to drop Voracek for Kesler personally. I like Voracek and how he's going to be given an opportunity but Kesler has broken 70 points twice, and still managed to score at over a 50 point pace last year playing like shit. Not to mention how he can add to your peripherals such as +/-, PIM, SHP...

I am a pretty big Kesler fan boy though so take my opinion with a grain of salt. It's definitely not an easy decision IMO any way you look at it but that's what I would do, given your positional eligibility flexibility.

Dobber Sports Giant

drop burns for kessler.
    having defense like oel still on the waiver wire tells me that later on in the season you should be able to drop a forward for a decent defenseman to catch up on games played.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In a 7-team league, I'm passing on Kesler.

I think your line-up is good and you need to really rotate players in to maximize getting 86 games worth from your skaters. If the NHL opens with a packed season, there's also no guarantee that Kesler will be placed on IR quickly enough for you to get a healthy player back on your roster... the better players may be picked over by then.

So, I say no on dropping somebody.
    I'd let Kesler sit. (No SOG, no FOW in this league either)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    In a 7-team league, I'm passing on Kesler.

I think your line-up is good and you need to really rotate players in to maximize getting 86 games worth from your skaters. If the NHL opens with a packed season, there's also no guarantee that Kesler will be placed on IR quickly enough for you to get a healthy player back on your roster... the better players may be picked over by then.

So, I say no on dropping somebody.
    I'd let Kesler sit. (No SOG, no FOW in this league either)
    Pengwin - the 86 will be pro-rated down if any games on the actual NHL season are lost (this league just likes to run a few games over). Would that change things?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Chili con Carne View Post
    Pengwin - the 86 will be pro-rated down if any games on the actual NHL season are lost (this league just likes to run a few games over). Would that change things?
    No.
    It's essentially still a league where you are allowed a +4 extra games at any position.

With Kesler (or any IR player), you've got to wait until Yahoo! designates them as IR before you can shift them to the IR and then add another player.

So, say you own Kesler... but you have to wait until Yahoo! gives him that IR status before you can move him there.
    In the mean time, maybe training camp identifies a few rising players (like maybe Brayden Schenn starts lining up on Giroux's wing instead of Voracek).

Really, my point is not so much about Kesler (per se) as it is about adding ANY current-IR player to your team. You simply don't know how soon that player will be deemed "IR" and limits your ability to adjust an already good roster while the season opens.

Kesler has "fringe" value until you see him play healthy, so I'd just be sticking with healthy guys who will actually start playing games for you when the season opens (unlike Kesler).

[This response based on an assumption that we'll have hockey very soon]

As a follow-up, if Kesler goes to waivers & sits there... and then turns that IR... drop a guy so you can add Kesler, shift him to your IR, and then add another guy.

Dobber Sports Genius

Since Kesler is still hurt and in his own words "way behind schedule" I would be very reluctant to pick him up. He might only play half the season and his shoulder will still be pretty weak. I would be more inclined to drop Burns and pick up OEL.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    No.
    It's essentially still a league where you are allowed a +4 extra games at any position.

With Kesler (or any IR player), you've got to wait until Yahoo! designates them as IR before you can shift them to the IR and then add another player.

So, say you own Kesler... but you have to wait until Yahoo! gives him that IR status before you can move him there.
    In the mean time, maybe training camp identifies a few rising players (like maybe Brayden Schenn starts lining up on Giroux's wing instead of Voracek).

Really, my point is not so much about Kesler (per se) as it is about adding ANY current-IR player to your team. You simply don't know how soon that player will be deemed "IR" and limits your ability to adjust an already good roster while the season opens.

Kesler has "fringe" value until you see him play healthy, so I'd just be sticking with healthy guys who will actually start playing games for you when the season opens (unlike Kesler).

[This response based on an assumption that we'll have hockey very soon]
    Gotcha - thanks Pengwin. And thanks to everyone else for their input - clearly a difficult decision.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Is this a keeper? If so I'd consider dropping someone for OEL... probably Voracek.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Is this a keeper? If so I'd consider dropping someone for OEL... probably Voracek.
    Blayze - one year league.