Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead

Dobber Sports Master

the look on the governers face when michone put her sword through his daughters head was priceless.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Good stuff!
    Although I think the Governor does (at least in some small way) believe Merle DID actually sell him out. Recall that Merle told him Michone was dead, even though he was unable to bring her head back from the previous hunting mission. Then suddenly Michone is back in Woodbury breaking into the Gov's house and murdering his zombie daughter. Couple that with Merle's brother being captured during the attack, and it's enough to make any leader paranoid about being sold out.
    I might have missed something in the Governor's speech though that blows my theory apart.
    This is true. The Gov. probably holds Merle responsible for his zombie daughter's death. Ironic how they both failed to kill Michone, though.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    This is true. The Gov. probably holds Merle responsible for his zombie daughter's death. Ironic how they both failed to kill Michone, though.
    The Governor holds Merle totally, utterly responsible for everything that happened, from the killing of his daughter to the "Battle of Woodbury". First Merle's bald faced lie about Michone, which was proven a lie in rather spectacular fashion. Then as fate would have it here comes Daryl and company shooting up the town and killing his men.

In the Governor's mind Merle orchestrated everything, and certainly one has to believe Merle knew Michone would be back. I think in his mind, there was a certain grudging respect for her. She's no shrinking violet, she can kick ass with the best of them, and is ruthless when she's been wronged or is in a kill or be kill scenario. Merle suspected after all that had happened before she left, she'd be back if at all possible to seek revenge, and I believe to get Andrea to see the light.

When Michone was able to best Merle and the small band that was with him, it put the thought in his mind after she had been wounded to allow her to slip away, and then whatever will be will be. He just said to himself, if she lives she'll be back. Now add that to the simmering anger in Merle at the Governor over his reluctance to help him find Daryl, and Merle hatched his own devious little plot for revenge.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Agreed, except I'm not sure about the grudging respect part, as I don't think Merle is the type to respect anyone but himself. I think he would have gone after her, if not for his growing animosity towards the Governor and for the "red zone" zombie factor. But all things considered, he didn't think further pursuit of her was worth the risk.
    I think maybe a tiny bit of respect for the fact that she dropped into the middle of a 4-against-1 and took out 2 of his men and still managed to get away. Like you said though it is debatable as to his ability to respect anything or anyone except himself and Daryl, maybe. We'll see how this reunion plays out.

At the very least in the moment Michone escaped he saw a means to an end.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Best tweet I saw last night was by Damon Lindelof, one of the producers from LOST:

Damon Lindelof ‏@DamonLindelof

NOT PENNY'S THROAT!!!!
    Fans of LOST should get that....

Dobber Sports Wizard

Not gonna lie, the second I saw the hammer swinging, I yelled "black guy with a hammer!!!" I was really hoping they'd get Tyrese into the show at some point but I was starting to give up on that happening. I'm a little disappointed with the actor they chose....Tyrese is supposed to be a giant former football player and this guy looks like he's about 5'8", but oh well.

Pretty awesome episode, lots of fighting which is never bad. I really liked Michonne's showdown with the Governor, but I'm still waiting for Andrea to take off. She's one of my favorite characters in the comic, but I absolutely hate her so far in the show.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Pretty awesome episode, lots of fighting which is never bad. I really liked Michonne's showdown with the Governor, but I'm still waiting for Andrea to take off. She's one of my favorite characters in the comic, but I absolutely hate her so far in the show.
    Yeah I liked Andrea a lot more before she got split from the group - I think she will end up killing the Governor personally (have never read the comics).

[On a sidenote, the actress played one of my favourite supporting characters in The X-Files, Marita Covarrubias]
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Great episode tonight. I knew what was going to happen right when I saw that glass!

And so.....kill a black character....gain a black character. Second time this year.
    lol, the prison guy died in the comics long ago. Tyrese was in the plot before the prison in the comics. I thought they had written him out as he was Rick's right hand man int he comics (but we have Daryl for that now)...
    Keep4+rookie under 150gp (14 teams): G,A,+/-,PIM,SHP,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW, W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO [Keepers: E Staal, Parise, Backes, Malkin, (R) Desharnais]

- Some people are like slinkies, they don't seem to have a purpose but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs... -

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    The Governor holds Merle totally, utterly responsible for everything that happened, from the killing of his daughter to the "Battle of Woodbury". First Merle's bald faced lie about Michone, which was proven a lie in rather spectacular fashion. Then as fate would have it here comes Daryl and company shooting up the town and killing his men.

In the Governor's mind Merle orchestrated everything, and certainly one has to believe Merle knew Michone would be back. I think in his mind, there was a certain grudging respect for her. She's no shrinking violet, she can kick ass with the best of them, and is ruthless when she's been wronged or is in a kill or be kill scenario. Merle suspected after all that had happened before she left, she'd be back if at all possible to seek revenge, and I believe to get Andrea to see the light.

When Michone was able to best Merle and the small band that was with him, it put the thought in his mind after she had been wounded to allow her to slip away, and then whatever will be will be. He just said to himself, if she lives she'll be back. Now add that to the simmering anger in Merle at the Governor over his reluctance to help him find Daryl, and Merle hatched his own devious little plot for revenge.
    Seems you guys forgot the diologue from merle+gov about how "merle" will be the "In" with his brother ...

I'm at a toss up between it being an awkward turning point where Andrea turns on the govenor and helps them escape.

OR

Merle is being setup to be a spy.

I also get the feeling that Andrea eventually kills the Gov. She definately seemed to show signs of distrust and concern after he treated her in this episode + seeing the daughter/heads.

In the comics, Michonne leaves the Gov w/ an arm cut off and cuts his manhood off... awkwardddddddd.
    Keep4+rookie under 150gp (14 teams): G,A,+/-,PIM,SHP,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW, W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO [Keepers: E Staal, Parise, Backes, Malkin, (R) Desharnais]

- Some people are like slinkies, they don't seem to have a purpose but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs... -

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by icevenom View Post
    Seems you guys forgot the diologue from merle+gov about how "merle" will be the "In" with his brother ...

I'm at a toss up between it being an awkward turning point where Andrea turns on the govenor and helps them escape.

OR

Merle is being setup to be a spy.

I also get the feeling that Andrea eventually kills the Gov. She definately seemed to show signs of distrust and concern after he treated her in this episode + seeing the daughter/heads.

In the comics, Michonne leaves the Gov w/ an arm cut off and cuts his manhood off... awkwardddddddd.
    I remember the conversation, but as I recall it was before Michone confronted the Governor. And really how much can you trust the Governor to mean what he says anyway. Could very well have been a way to keep Merle from cluing in on what the Governor was truly thinking.

We'll have some answers, or at least some clues, in just over two months. It was announced on Talking Dead that the new season starts Feb. 10.

I remember the conversation, but as I recall it was before Michone confronted the Governor. And really how much can you trust the Governor to mean what he says anyway. Could very well have been a way to keep Merle from cluing in on what the Governor was truly thinking.

We'll have some answers, or at least some clues, in just over two months. It was announced on Talking Dead that the new season starts Feb. 10.
    As much as I hate mid season breaks... I hate full season breaks more... so it isn't so bad.

You are correct though... the GOV is a crazy character and as such... is not to be trusted.

My judgement is partially based on the rough story following the comic but they do try to steer the plot different often.

Dobber Sports Wizard

So I'm re-reading the comics now that the shows on a break, and I had forgotten just how much of an ******* the Governor really is. By his second page of dialogue it's obvious just how "evil" he is. I do like what the show has done with him and I don't think the comic Governor would have fit in with the vibe of the show.....but it would have been awesome.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by icevenom View Post
    As much as I hate mid season breaks... I hate full season breaks more... so it isn't so bad.

You are correct though... the GOV is a crazy character and as such... is not to be trusted.

My judgement is partially based on the rough story following the comic but they do try to steer the plot different often.
    I went back and re-watched that episode last night, and the Governor's idea to have an insider in Rick's group was before the encounter with Michone. After that encounter when Merle popped in and asked him what the hell happened he gave a very short terse "I was attacked" and fixed Merle with an icy stare, albeit one-eyed. He'd decided then and there that Merle sold him out.

That fight with Michone was the game changer between Merle and the Gov. Before that, Michone was dead and Merle was the loyal soldier, after that Merle was the betrayer.

Now how does this play out for the brothers? There's no way after what Merle did to Glenn and Maggie that they'd let him back in the group. I don't see how they could or would allow that.

-Do the brothers split off and go it alone or with a new band of survivors? Can't see them both getting out of Woodbury alive, see the next....

-Does the Governor force a death match between the brothers? They're in the pit with a blood thirsty mob surrounding them howling for their blood. Maybe have Daryl soften up Merle in a fight and then the Governor steps in for the coup-de-grace? Seems the most likely scenario, and Merle's bridges are burnt with both groups.

-If they do have the brothers fight to the death and Daryl wins, what next for him? Join forces with the Governor? Be allowed to walk free? Be allowed to leave if he can fight his way out?

With the brothers having never appeared in the comics the way the other characters have it gives Kirkman and co. so many avenues they can explore in their story arc.
    Last edited by NoWayOut; December 5, 2012 at 3:03 PM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    So I'm re-reading the comics now that the shows on a break, and I had forgotten just how much of an ******* the Governor really is. By his second page of dialogue it's obvious just how "evil" he is. I do like what the show has done with him and I don't think the comic Governor would have fit in with the vibe of the show.....but it would have been awesome.
    On Talking Dead Kirkman did say that as the story progresses the Governor will become every bit as evil, actually he used the term dastardly, as he is in the comics. He just wanted to reveal the Governor's true nature more slowly on the show then he did with the comics.

Dobber Sports Immortal

On Talking Dead Kirkman did say that as the story progresses the Governor will become every bit as evil, actually he used the term dastardly, as he is in the comics. He just wanted to reveal the Governor's true nature more slowly on the show then he did with the comics.
    Giving a character a journey is much better than throwing them at you with little explanation or backstory.....like growl face Michonne