Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Soooo, who caught walking dead lastnight?

I imagine this episode sync'd up with when they go find a captured Rick originally. Curious how the Daryl/Merl dynamic plays out. Seeing as the comic didn't have the brothers.

Both sides wondering where the brothers loyalty is...
    Keep4+rookie under 150gp (14 teams): G,A,+/-,PIM,SHP,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW, W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO [Keepers: E Staal, Parise, Backes, Malkin, (R) Desharnais]

- Some people are like slinkies, they don't seem to have a purpose but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs... -

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by icevenom View Post

I imagine this episode sync'd up with when they go find a captured Rick originally. Curious how the Daryl/Merl dynamic plays out. Seeing as the comic didn't have the brothers.

I think its pretty obvious the two will end up face to face with gun/crossbow pointed at each other. Darryl will side with his friends, he's a different person - I think he'll be disgusted by what Merle is - but will he actually take him out?

Mid-season finale next week, should be a barn-burner.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Nichushkin, Batherson, Sharangovich
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei, Forsling
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, But, G.Perreault, Morrow, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Stud

Watched last night's episode and found in a little lacking in entertainment value, but if it serves as a bridge to something great neek week (which I know is the point) then all is good - I do have pretty high expectations for next week though.

Administrator

My guess is that while Rick and Co. are staging their coup on Woodbury, Merle and Co. will be rounding up the rest of the crew in the prison so that nothing will actually be resolved in this mid-season finale.

Also, I really enjoyed this week's episode. All the stuff with Glen was particularly awesome. When he finally kills the walker and then let's out a huge war cry was beastly in a really engaging way.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    My guess is that while Rick and Co. are staging their coup on Woodbury, Merle and Co. will be rounding up the rest of the crew in the prison so that nothing will actually be resolved in this mid-season finale.

Also, I really enjoyed this week's episode. All the stuff with Glen was particularly awesome. When he finally kills the walker and then let's out a huge war cry was beastly in a really engaging way.
    I'm really liking Glenn's development through this series. Really starting to become more of a leader type compared to the delivery boy.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Agreed. I found this past Sunday to be a little lacking but hopefully the finale next Sunday will be worth the wait. I haven't read the comics but I find the Governor hard to understand. Is he just a nutjob? I mean, what's with the preserved heads he was staring at in that one earlier episode? I don't get it.

Addictive show though, nonetheless.
    On the comics, not to spoil it for others **SPOILER ALLERTTTT**
    The Gov captures rick, michone, glen. cuts rick's hand off and brutally rapes michonne. That is roughly where the show is now... They seem to follow similarly but with different characters in place.

Things get pretty graphic at this part. Specifically with Michonne and the govenor .

They never explained the head thing in the comics.

I suspect Merle betrays the gov. I sensed some tension when he "woudln't let him go find his brother". Plus, if Merle goes back with the group... he is likely to create more drama... whicht he show is all about.

Darryl is loved to much by the audience for anything bad to happen to him.
    Keep4+rookie under 150gp (14 teams): G,A,+/-,PIM,SHP,PPP,GWG,SOG,FW, W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO [Keepers: E Staal, Parise, Backes, Malkin, (R) Desharnais]

- Some people are like slinkies, they don't seem to have a purpose but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs... -

Dobber Sports Wizard

The Gov captures rick, michone, glen. cuts rick's hand off and brutally rapes michonne. That is roughly where the show is now... They seem to follow similarly but with different characters in place.

Things get pretty graphic at this part. Specifically with Michonne and the govenor .

I suspect Merle betrays the gov. I sensed some tension when he "woudln't let him go find his brother". Plus, if Merle goes back with the group... he is likely to create more drama... whicht he show is all about.

I hope you didn't just spoil it for me. I agree that Merle has tension with the Gov over his brother. This week's ep should be a good one!
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Pro

Can't wait for the 1/2 season finale. I really don't like waiting so long for the 2nd half of the season though.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Administrator

As awful as this sounds it feels a bit like a rip off that we didn't get a Governor rapes Maggie scene. Not that I wanted to see it but rather if the point of this show is to demonstrate how hopeless everything is and if they really wanted to portray the Governor as this psychopath then we are eventually going to have to see him follow through.

So far all we've seen is the Governor kill some strangers (albeit soldiers) in order to acquire their supplies. This doesn't strike me as "bad character" by anyone at this point in the zombie world. No, I'm starting to think that the Governor on this TV show is something of a pansy. Zombie head aquariums aside the Governor seems like a mostly normal dude who just wants to find some order in the chaos and possibly find a way to get his family back.

Clearly the writers on the show wanted us to believe the Governor was capable of rape, which is why they scripted the scene as they did but I didn't really buy it. I understand the reason they didn't go through with it, for all the disgusting visceral gore on this show that's still a line that doesn't need crossing but because of all the awfulness they've already demonstrated on this show I do think that if they want us to believe a character is capable of something they'll actually have to follow through and show it.

So I'm not advocating for a rape scene but rather I'd like to see a little more evidence of how truly terrible this Governor character is so that I can truly buy in to hating him. Right now I don't hate him. If anything I empathize with him as a man who built this town of Woodbury free from the terribleness of the wild but in order to protect this place he's had to enlist some pretty terrible people (Merle etc.) and that causes him to continually do bad things like kill those soldiers. This doesn't feel like the character they want me to believe he is and it certainly isn't the character I want to believe he is but from what I've seen so far that's who this character is. If they want me to believe he's gone fully evil, I need to see it.

Dobber Sports Wizard

As awful as this sounds it feels a bit like a rip off that we didn't get a Governor rapes Maggie scene. Not that I wanted to see it but rather if the point of this show is to demonstrate how hopeless everything is and if they really wanted to portray the Governor as this psychopath then we are eventually going to have to see him follow through.

So far all we've seen is the Governor kill some strangers (albeit soldiers) in order to acquire their supplies. This doesn't strike me as "bad character" by anyone at this point in the zombie world. No, I'm starting to think that the Governor on this TV show is something of a pansy. Zombie head aquariums aside the Governor seems like a mostly normal dude who just wants to find some order in the chaos and possibly find a way to get his family back.

Clearly the writers on the show wanted us to believe the Governor was capable of rape, which is why they scripted the scene as they did but I didn't really buy it. I understand the reason they didn't go through with it, for all the disgusting visceral gore on this show that's still a line that doesn't need crossing but because of all the awfulness they've already demonstrated on this show I do think that if they want us to believe a character is capable of something they'll actually have to follow through and show it.

So I'm not advocating for a rape scene but rather I'd like to see a little more evidence of how truly terrible this Governor character is so that I can truly buy in to hating him. Right now I don't hate him. If anything I empathize with him as a man who built this town of Woodbury free from the terribleness of the wild but in order to protect this place he's had to enlist some pretty terrible people (Merle etc.) and that causes him to continually do bad things like kill those soldiers. This doesn't feel like the character they want me to believe he is and it certainly isn't the character I want to believe he is but from what I've seen so far that's who this character is. If they want me to believe he's gone fully evil, I need to see it.
    I think this is where we really see the limitations of the network that's airing the show. If this was HBO that scene would have fully played out instead the implied nature of what we got. Just go back to The Sopranos and Dr. Melfi getting raped in the stairwell of the parking garage. They wouldn't have flinched at having the Governor rape Maggie. That seems to be where AMC draws their moral line, and they're not willing to show the apocalypse in all it's harsh reality.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Agreed, he isn't "villified" as in the comics. I think Maggie scene was supposed to be the "Michonne" scene from the comics. Obviously, as you guys mention, they can't do due to network tv reasons... they tried to imply it though. They didn't sell the torture much either... for example, cutting Rick's hand off for no real reason in the comic to start...? Instead they leave Glenn w/ a zombie to die (and that was Merle).

They make this guy seem more manipulative than crazy. He is a tyrant in the comics... pure evil!

To reply to One87; I hope you didn't just spoil it for me. I agree that Merle has tension with the Gov over his brother. This week's ep should be a good
    one!
    --> Merle/Daryl don't exist in the comics, so I didn't really spoil anything
    As I say this though, I think i've just clued into what they are actually going to do. Which will make things definately interesting.

I think it is safe to say there will be some killin' next episode. (Speculating, not related to my previous comments. It is a mid season finale after all)

--------------

For those who haven't read the comics, I think this is like comic 30-70ish range??? Newest being about 104... there are a few story lines in between. I can easily see 2-3 seasons out of the remaining potential story lines if they drag it out. The comic is obviously still going.

Things get pretty nasty in the most recent

Dobber Sports Immortal

Very excited for tonight's mid season finale ...very

Dobber Sports Immortal

Great episode tonight. I knew what was going to happen right when I saw that glass!

And so.....kill a black character....gain a black character. Second time this year.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Great episode tonight. I knew what was going to happen right when I saw that glass!

And so.....kill a black character....gain a black character. Second time this year.
    Yeah, as soon as I saw Cuddy from The Wire I knew it was the end of Two-Dogg.

On the flip side, I am so pumped to see Cuddy from The Wire on the show. Such a good actor. He's got charisma and he's a good physical actor too. I can see him being a mainstay going forward because he has a lot to offer. In general I'm also a really big fan of the show injecting new life/blood into the show. Not only does it allow them to keep us constantly on edge by killing off anyone at any time but it also allows them to keep things fresh since they do seem to have issues with keeping characters interesting beyond the first impression. I really can't say enough about how excited I am for this new group to be added to the show though.

As for the rest of the episode it was pretty much as expected. The Michonne-Governor clash was really well done. Didn't necessarily enjoy the Andrea and Michonne faceoff afterwards though. It seemed to me a clear distinction between the characters. Michonne showed a lot of depth and empathy while Andrea just looked completely bewildered. Maybe that's what the character was supposed to show but it seemed to me more like the actress just hasn't received good direction on what her character's motivation is. I expected Andrea to express a lot more of an emotional attachment to Michonne than what we saw there.

I felt like the disfigurement of the Governor is supposed to be some sort of metaphor for how disfigured his psyche is now that his walker-daughter has been killed off for good but I'd have liked to have seen a little more from the actor as well. His speech to the town people simply didn't crescendo the way I'd have hoped. I wanted to feel real hatred for him and instead I felt nothing. It wasn't until he turned the tables and put Merle and Daryl on trial before the people that I felt invested and then at that point where they showed the close up on the Governor's face he gave us nothing. I wanted to see passion of some kind. I was expecting some kind of sick smile to show us how much he was enjoying his little manipulations but even a look of pure hatred would have worked too - like he really believed that Merle had sold him out and cost him his daughter/eye. Instead we got a blank look leaving us only to ponder at the twisted mind of the Governor once again.

Still, there's a lot at stake here with Daryl getting thrown into the line of fire. Hell, I even sympathize with Merle right now which is crazy. It's amazing what some good acting and character development can do for viewer investment. There are finally some characters on this show that I care about and that goes a long way.

I'd also like to add that Glen is awesome. He didn't have much to do this week but he knocked it out of the park once again with his dissection of the zombie corpse.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Yeah, as soon as I saw Cuddy from The Wire I knew it was the end of Two-Dogg.

On the flip side, I am so pumped to see Cuddy from The Wire on the show. Such a good actor. He's got charisma and he's a good physical actor too. I can see him being a mainstay going forward because he has a lot to offer. In general I'm also a really big fan of the show injecting new life/blood into the show. Not only does it allow them to keep us constantly on edge by killing off anyone at any time but it also allows them to keep things fresh since they do seem to have issues with keeping characters interesting beyond the first impression. I really can't say enough about how excited I am for this new group to be added to the show though.

As for the rest of the episode it was pretty much as expected. The Michonne-Governor clash was really well done. Didn't necessarily enjoy the Andrea and Michonne faceoff afterwards though. It seemed to me a clear distinction between the characters. Michonne showed a lot of depth and empathy while Andrea just looked completely bewildered. Maybe that's what the character was supposed to show but it seemed to me more like the actress just hasn't received good direction on what her character's motivation is. I expected Andrea to express a lot more of an emotional attachment to Michonne than what we saw there.

I felt like the disfigurement of the Governor is supposed to be some sort of metaphor for how disfigured his psyche is now that his walker-daughter has been killed off for good but I'd have liked to have seen a little more from the actor as well. His speech to the town people simply didn't crescendo the way I'd have hoped. I wanted to feel real hatred for him and instead I felt nothing. It wasn't until he turned the tables and put Merle and Daryl on trial before the people that I felt invested and then at that point where they showed the close up on the Governor's face he gave us nothing. I wanted to see passion of some kind. I was expecting some kind of sick smile to show us how much he was enjoying his little manipulations but even a look of pure hatred would have worked too - like he really believed that Merle had sold him out and cost him his daughter/eye. Instead we got a blank look leaving us only to ponder at the twisted mind of the Governor once again.

Still, there's a lot at stake here with Daryl getting thrown into the line of fire. Hell, I even sympathize with Merle right now which is crazy. It's amazing what some good acting and character development can do for viewer investment. There are finally some characters on this show that I care about and that goes a long way.

I'd also like to add that Glen is awesome. He didn't have much to do this week but he knocked it out of the park once again with his dissection of the zombie corpse.
    I'm not familiar with the comics, but I did a lookup on Walking Dead wiki and the new guy is Tyreese, or so it seems. Looks like a major player so he and his group should have a decent run before getting whacked.

Watched the first segment of Talking Dead episode earlier and they had Robert Kirkman on. Rest assured MD that the Governor will become what you have been expecting. Kirkman said on there that they wanted to start the Governor out as a more, in his words, "nuanced" character and then peel back the layers to reveal his true nature. Sounds like you just need to exercise patience and you'll get your truly evil Gov.

Anybody else nearly fall out of their chair laughing when mustache guy utters the line "Glenn has Maggie and your a lesbian" to Carol to justify his creepy hitting on Beth. His character has hit it's zenith, time to feed him to the walkers. Got to question the decision to kill off Oscar instead of him. Of the two surviving prisoners, Oscar was by far the better of the two characters.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....