Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Let's get one thing clear. This is not a good show. It is a great concept and is still entertaining but in the sense of what typically makes good TV this show has few redeeming qualities. If there was a better zombie killing show to satisfy our thirsts this show would be roadkill. But admittedly half of the fun is about complaining about how good it could be.
    The zombie killing part isn't why I watch. And I disagree, I fully believe it's a good show and not just because the trendy kids watch it for the zombies. It's all about the story, the characters, themes etc. The story was great until this season's mid-season finale. It got stale fast. It turned into turf wars when the Governor appeared. Outside of Rick and Daryle, I'll even throw in Herschel, the characters are lame.

Season 1 was awesome as was season 2 even early of season 3. Even the problems within the group were interesting. Shane being an enemy within the group trying to overthrow Rick, Dale having a different aspect on everything... New characters like that Tyrese won't bring anything of that sort.

To be honest, it felt like Dragon Ball Z with all the filler in the last 7 or so episodes. At least Dragon Ball Z concluded sagas lol.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Wizard

I was reluctant to give this show a chance - e.g. another zombie flick. I bought into the "last people on earth" angle. This season finale killed my interest completely. All this build up wih the governor and he gets away. It has the feel that they ate milking the governor and have yet to figure out how to keep us interested beyond his character. I have no interest in season 4, whatsoever.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    I was reluctant to give this show a chance - e.g. another zombie flick. I bought into the "last people on earth" angle. This season finale killed my interest completely. All this build up wih the governor and he gets away. It has the feel that they ate milking the governor and have yet to figure out how to keep us interested beyond his character. I have no interest in season 4, whatsoever.
    That's kind of how I feel. They made the whole "emotional payoff" for the season be Andrea's death....but personally I thought she was the worst character on the show and just excruciating to watch. Her death was completely her fault.....

Stayed in Woodbury
    Didn't kill the Governor when she had the chance
    Had a staring contest with potential zombie Milton instead of getting free

....all of those just such frustrating character decisions that I can't even sympathize for her here.

Dobber Sports Master

The governor character is TERRIBLE.... He's not interesting and I dont know why they would decide to keep him going. I would have just killed him off and start a new season with new plot lines. Get the gang back on the road again.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    The zombie killing part isn't why I watch. And I disagree, I fully believe it's a good show and not just because the trendy kids watch it for the zombies. It's all about the story, the characters, themes etc. The story was great until this season's mid-season finale. It got stale fast. It turned into turf wars when the Governor appeared. Outside of Rick and Daryle, I'll even throw in Herschel, the characters are lame.

Season 1 was awesome as was season 2 even early of season 3. Even the problems within the group were interesting. Shane being an enemy within the group trying to overthrow Rick, Dale having a different aspect on everything... New characters like that Tyrese won't bring anything of that sort.

To be honest, it felt like Dragon Ball Z with all the filler in the last 7 or so episodes. At least Dragon Ball Z concluded sagas lol.
    Yeah but when the stories and most of the characters all suck for going on two seasons then it's not a good show. Season One was awesome but that doesn't give it a pass for the last two years of mostly awful TV.

There have been some good themes built into the story as drawn from the comics and the characters have the potential to be good but even the best writing can't make up for bad acting and neither our protagonist nor our antagonist have been good enough to carry this show. Give me a great actor as Rick or a great actor as the Governor and suddenly I care about these characters and believe in their plight. I'm neither cheering for Rick or against the Governor. I'm just cheering for more zombies to show up and get killed in a fun way.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I was yelling at the tv, "hey idiot... no time for idle chit chat now!" hahaha

At least try and multi task it and try to escape while chatting.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    That's kind of how I feel. They made the whole "emotional payoff" for the season be Andrea's death....but personally I thought she was the worst character on the show and just excruciating to watch. Her death was completely her fault.....

Stayed in Woodbury
    Didn't kill the Governor when she had the chance

....all of those just such frustrating character decisions that I can't even sympathize for her here.
    The problem is that there are SOOOOO many bad characters. Lori was the worst character that everyone hated until finally they killed her off. Then it was Andrea. Next season it will be someone else because unfortunately their original cast had just a few too many red shirts and they didn't do a good enough job making them zombie fodder early on.

The show has (or had, I'm afraid this season's empty finale may finally drive the fans away) an engine that people want to tune into but their casting efforts have been miserable.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Alright... I'll bite. Been looking for a new series for a while now.

Just started downloading season one... I'll watch the first six eps before committing to downloading seasons 2 and 3.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Alright... I'll bite. Been looking for a new series for a while now.

Just started downloading season one... I'll watch the first six eps before committing to downloading seasons 2 and 3.
    After pages of people talking about how bad the show is...

Don't get sucked in! Season One is really good!

Dobber Sports Ninja

After pages of people talking about how bad the show is...

Don't get sucked in! Season One is really good!
    Is that what people have been saying? I didn't read those pages due to the spoilers haha. I have a couple of friends who watched Season one and said it was amazing.

Sounds like it goes downhill quickly after the first season (like almost every other series).

Should I be cancelling the download and moving on to something else instead? I wanna do Game of Thrones but I'd prefer to read all the books first.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Should I be cancelling the download and moving on to something else instead? I wanna do Game of Thrones but I'd prefer to read all the books first.
    You just confirmed that not everyone watches Game of Thrones......I wasn't sure these past few weeks. Seems like it's EVERYWHERE!

Administrator

Is that what people have been saying? I didn't read those pages due to the spoilers haha. I have a couple of friends who watched Season one and said it was amazing.

Sounds like it goes downhill quickly after the first season (like almost every other series).

DO GAME OF THRONES!!! So much better! I haven't seen the season premiere yet but the first two seasons were really good.

Also, why would you read the books first? In my experience going from screen to page is the way to go. If you experience it on the page first the on screen version can't possibly compare.

Dobber Sports Wizard

DO GAME OF THRONES!!! So much better! I haven't seen the season premiere yet but the first two seasons were really good.

Also, why would you read the books first? In my experience going from screen to page is the way to go. If you experience it on the page first the on screen version can't possibly compare.

^ I concur. GOF is the truth. Blayze, get on that.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Ninja

Couldn't disagree more.

Screen first just completely ruins the book. Generally speaking, books are almost ALWAYS better than screen... because they come out before screen and maintain the integrity of the original work. Screen just hollywoods the shit.

It's way better to read first, let your mind build your own interpretation of the characters and the world and just immerse yourself in it. THEN after you've read the book, it becomes even more interesting to compare your take on it vs. the hollywood take on it.

With screen to page, you eliminate the possibility of creating your own world... it will just feel like you're reading a script while picturing the movie scene unfold from your recollective memory.

ARF = Always Read First... words to live by. TRUST.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Very wise words from blayze!

While I do found Im almost always disappointed in the screen version when going from book to screen....I do feel like it's the way to go. Although in a series like Thrones (as well as something like Harry Potter), I actually watched season 1 (movie 1-3 for HP) before reading the books. So I guess I already had the mental background for all of the characters when reading. But in Thrones, so many new people are introduced that it always allowed for me to visualize things on my own in the later books.

For example.....the perfect Stannis Baratheon will always be Mark Strong in Robin Hood