Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Who will win rookie of the year next season(08-09)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Who will win rookie of the year next season(08-09)

OKPOSO

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

If Stamkos gets drafted by LA, there is no way he plays next season with the big club. Look at Thomas Hickey this year. Look and J.Bernier. I can\'t beleive how good this team is going to be in a few years. I think Tampa Bay might get this kid though, or even St.Louis.

My vote for rookie of the year is Turris with Giroux getting my second place vote.
    Z..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Padawan

Maybe, but Hickey and Bernier play positions where you rarely see an 18-year-old in the NHL. It happens more often with forwards; I\'m not so sure that Stamkos wouldn\'t fit in LA\'s top 6 next season. After Kopitar, Brown, Cammi, O\'Sullivan and Frolov, who among the Kings forwards is better than Stamkos? I\'d certainly slot him ahead of Handzus and Nagy.

The Airborne Attack
    (GFHL - 14 Team Keeper League 2016 Champions)

F: McDavid, Laine, Monahan, Simmonds, van Riemsdyk, Granlund, Schwartz, Kreider, Oshie, Trochek, Bjugstad
    D: Ekman Larsson, Carlson, Ristolainen, Parayko, Skjei, Ekblad, McNabb
    G: Price, Rinne, Halak, Montoya

Farm: Dvorak, Kaprizov, Ritchie, Rattie, Chabot, Carrick, Johns, Hutton, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Novice

I\'d say that LA will be looking at Brian Boyle and Teddy Purcell at forward at camp next year. If Stamkos goes to LA, I could see him going back to Junior.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Boyle and Purcell??? LOL, is that a joke? You are comparing Stamkos toe them? Thats an absolutely rediculous comment and analysis. Stamkos is far better than Kane and will have a much larger impact. No one in this years draft has his upside... Word is he would be the #1 even if Tavares was in this draft... And he is considered a generational type player.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Wow only one mention for Okposo even being in the mix... i don\'t think he\'ll win it but I could see him in the mix just cause NYI could give him prime minutes...

Does anyone know what StL\'s plans for Berglund and Oshie are? 1 and 2 at center? or will one shift to the wing?

Berglund was so sick in the WJC\'s and given the Swede\'s tendency\'s to develop a little later he could be a monster in the near future. I love him.

Stamkos gets my vote but with the same asterix that Dobber added, depends where he lands. I hope he doesn\'t go to LA cause they\'ll just be flooded with forward talent and it\'ll be too hard to keep them all fantasywise based on playing time juggling.
    "I mean technically, I could say that every defender's upside is 80 points and never 'lose my house.'"
    - lanky 522

Dobber Sports Stud

wow...

Brassard finishes top 3 in rookie race for sure...

dont drink the hitchcock fool aid....

Brassard will be their # 1 center next year and with Nash about to explode....look for BIG things in CBJ

Hitch is no fool....

Brassard lost an entire year in his development 2 years ago.......hes ready now.....his 4 mon per in the NHL wasnt even a taste......just letting Brassard know where he will be 0809

B)

The Great One

Just a few observations:

Yeah- I think Brassard is a bigtime darkhorse here- kids a competitor. Im not sold on his band-aidiness just yet. From what I read hes got a bit of swagger too- likes to be in the spotlight. Has the same type of window Little has (had?) in ATL with Kovalchuk, if and when he locks up a top line spot with Nash...

The Voracek/Giroux debate rages and once again I am just happy to have both. You have to love Girouxs playoff heroics right now! It been stated in another thread but 23 in 8. Someone was asking who the mainstream outlets will be hyping and I have to say this run is going to attract A LOT of attention to little claude \"whatshisname\" Giroux...

Berglund/Oshie is a bit murky for me. Not especially knowledgable on either. I grabbed Berglund right before the waiver deadline and am loving what people are saying about him. Mind you people are pretty high on Oshie too...

I love Okopso! Missed the boat on him but will be watching anyways. Not a lot to compete with over there. Could break out fast...

Stamkos over Tavares? Generational? This is news to me. I am not a huge fan of where he is probably going (Tampa)- but then again any team will likely make room for him. I am torn as to who to take next year because...

Turris is going to be huge! In my humble opinion. I know people are saying the hype is getting too big but I just like what is brewing here. You take a guy who arguably has the highest ceiling in terms of \"potential\" for his draft class and you send him to Phoenix. He will have talent around him and lets not rule out the Gretzky factor here. I read an interview early on with his coach on the badgers, who was talking about his drive to better himself, his humility and his dedication. He said Turris is the kind of guy who asks what kind of things he should be working on, where he needs improvement. Now factor in his hockey IQ which is the biggest trait alluding to his potential. What better coaching staff to bounce ideas off of then the great ones? These guys probably see hockey like no one else. In terms of pure hockey intelligence there are few he could learn more from. I just think hes going to be an above the rim type of player and has fallen into the absolute perfect situation.

If Stamkos and Turris team situations were reversed maybe Id vote different, but as it stands I go Turris for Calder with a lot of interesting storylines developing over the season.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Slight adjustment to my generational comment; It was meant to represent that Tavares is supposed to be a generational typ of player, real or not, that is the hype. But from what I\'ve read and seen of both, I would say that Stamkos\' speed and willingness to battle and not coast as much as Tavares puts him in a slight lead. Not to mention that at 17, 6\'1\" (listed) and 180 lbs, he has alot of room to grow. Lets say he grows to 6\'2\" and 200 lbs. With his speed and that size, he could be Ovechkin jr. in a few years. note; Im not calling him Ovechkin, but if you say Ovie\'s career avg will be 60+ goals and 125+ points, I think a fair assessment for Stamkos (early, I know) may be 45+ goals and 100+ points. I dont know if I\'m willing to peg that to Tavares... Yet... He has a nose for the net, but I dont know about the assists side. I find it troubling the MacLean had 20 more goals in only 2 more games...

Dobber Sports Master

Don\'t expect big things from Stamkos in tbay. Like Richards most of his points will come from the PP. But even strength points will be hard to come about with AHL linemates
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Initiate

He elevated the play of a couple of borderline prospects in Sarnia as well. These guys might actually get drafted because of him (remember Rob Pearson was a first round pick because of Eric Lindros) I think he is more of a stand alone guy than Richards was/is. Goal scorers like him can create their own chances...

Dobber Sports Master

Let me rephrase my last post.
    I don\'t see Stamkos putting up Kane/Backstrom like numbers with AHL linemates and 2nd line minutes. He will be a special player but I see more Mueller and Gagner type production next year (50-55 point range)

I think he can elevate the production of his linemates and make them better but as a rookie he will not be the 70+ guy like we have been blessed with the past few seasons.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Genius

He isn\'t my choice, but what about Jonathan Bernier ?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Crazynuck wrote:
    Let me rephrase my last post.
    I don\'t see Stamkos putting up Kane/Backstrom like numbers with AHL linemates and 2nd line minutes. He will be a special player but I see more Mueller and Gagner type production next year (50-55 point range)

I think he can elevate the production of his linemates and make them better but as a rookie he will not be the 70+ guy like we have been blessed with the past few seasons.
    Duly noted, and no disagreement here... But if he gets top powerplay time... Damn! That could really baloon his totals.

Dobber Sports Guru

Pete wrote:
    He isn\'t my choice, but what about Jonathan Bernier ?
    possible, but a lot of things have to fall his way for that to happen. as we saw with price this year, a goalie really needs to get a lot of starts to be considered for the calder.

what does bernier need? labarbera gone somehow, and a defence corps that actually knows how to do its job.