Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Value Players

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 3rtpaper View Post
    I was going through the forum today and saw nothing but "who to keep" and Trade offers and "Player X vs Y". So being a bit bored with that I decided to make this thread.

What players do you feel will drop past where they should or are undervalued for your league - The players that will end up being draft steals for their relative value.

Forwards:
    Getzlaf: After looking at a few draft rankings I was in shock to see how far down Getzlaf was. Yes the center position is deep and Getzlaf had a terrible year by his standards but to find him in the mid to late teens is absurd. I really hope people in my leagues view him as poorly as these rankings do. Last year he easily a 1st/2nd rounder and he is only 26. The Ducks shouldn't be as bad as they were last year either which will only help

B. Ryan: Another Duck and pretty much the same argument as Getzlaf. However I think Ryan has the potential to be an even greater value than Getzlaf, especially in limited roster leagues that count PPP's. Ryan's main issue was his lack of PPP last year, in leagues that have limited rosters and count PPP (Full season roto especially), people will be very hesitant of drafting Ryan. If Ryan can establish himself on the power play he has the potential to win leagues based on where people will be able to snag him.

Defense:
    Wisniewski: He couldn't have had a worse year last year: Suspension, Injury, CBJ. However, if you look at his per game stats he ranks extremely well in goals, assists, PIM, PPP, and BLKs - he is a roto beast outside of +/-. It is well known how bad the CBJ are and it is perceived that they will be worse next year now that they don't have Nash. If CBJ can turn it around (they are building heavily on defense which could help Wisniewski's +/-) Wisniewski is going to be a steal.

Yandle: His decline last year was certainly noticeable due to the rising of OEL but Yandle still has a ton of offensive skill and provided enough PIM and has decent +/- to keep his value elevated in roto leagues. With the departure of Whitney from the desert the power play will only run through the points (Yandle and OEL) even more.

Goalies:
    Bobrovsky: Once again the value placed on CBJ's players is going to be extremely low. Bobrovsky probably won't net you a ton of win but if you look at the Jackets defense there is a lot to like. Obviously Bobovsky would be a very late pick but how many people missed out on Mike Smith last year - a goalie playing in a strong defensive system. I'm not going to say Bobrovsky is going to have a year like Mike Smith did last year but there are a lot of positive signs saying he has a chance to have above average numbers and at an extremely cheap price.

Reimer: Reimer started the year on fire last year before his concussion. The Leafs also have a good, not great, but good defensive around him, and Burke has gone on record saying he wants his forwards to focus more on the defensive side of the game (to be fair what coach doesn't want that but the point was made either way). If Reimer can rebound and play like he did early last year with what appears to be an improved defensive philosophy you could have a steal on draft day.
    Well lets see how I did...

Getzlaf: HIT - Getzlaf had a huge bounce back year in a contract year. 49 points, +14, 41 PIM.. i could go on and on Getzlaf is a multi cat stud and did slide in the draft due to his performance a year ago.

Ryan: MISS - Ryan had the exact same issue as he did the year before.. lack of PPP. Ryan also disappointed in the PIM category as well.

Yandle: HIT - 30 points out of a defenseman is impressive. More impressive is Yandle racking up 54 PIM. His 10 PPP's could have been better but they certainly weren't going to hurt you. I don't think Yandle will get back to ~60 point range but he should consistantly around 50-55.

Wisniewski: Nuetral - For where Wisniewski was typically avaliable he performed well. He didn't really exceed his typical draft spot though. The injury obviously slowed him down but he was still very valuable player im multi cat leagues

Bobrovsky: HUGE HIT - I boldly said he could be the Mike Smith of last year and there is no doubt that he was. I will admit he exceeded even my expectations. Columbus did what I thought they would.. they build a good defense in the offseason and they buckled down. Bobrovsky was obviously more than a product of the system but the system clearly helped.

Reimer: HIT - The Leafs had a good season and Reimer was a key part of it. Toronto's defense played much better this year and Reimer benefitted from it. His play this year shows that last years troubles were most likely due to trying to come back from a concussion.

All this being said.. I look back at this list and the only person I actually drafted was Wisniewski.. goes to show you why you shouldn't drink during drafts.
    Last edited by 3rtpaper; May 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
    2010-2011 League Champion
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2,G | G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, BS, W, GAA, SV%
    C: Getzlaf, Backstrom
    LW: Hall, Tlusty
    RW: Malkin, Lupul
    D: Ehrhoff, Del Zotto, Enstrom, Carle
    G: Holtby, Smith
    Bench: Faulk, Druoin, MacKinnon, Brodin, S. Mason, Bernier
    H2H Keeper League [5F, 1D, 1F/D 1G]
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO
    F:Tavares, Landeskog, E.Kane, Backes, Yakupov, RNH/Kesler
    D: Green/OEL
    G: Rask

Dobber Sports Icon

Nice initial write up 3rtpaper and you really nailed it with these picks.

Have to point this quote out, with no disrespect for Pengwin of course, I just really have a thing for pointing out when engineers are wrong:

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Thumbs up on your forwards & defense.

I'm not touching Bobrovsky. I think there are 5-10 backup goaltenders I'd rather own than any CBJ goalie.
    Reimer is interesting... but I just think the East is too competitive. Toronto hasn't really done any improving on the "defensive" side of the game.
    For the record, Pengwin is pretty good about admitting when he's wrong himself anyway though and is one of the premiere members of these forums. I'm just a little bitter that he did so much better than me in RHRS league.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Demi-God

LOL.
    Yup... I missed Bobrovsky badly!!!!

(would've been nice if I had been given a little more time to find this thread... effin hasty, finger-pointing _________s <--------- insert 4T2 occupation here)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well done on the Bobrovsky prediction, very impressive!

So... who's next year's Bobrovsky?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

wait to see who gets traded where, but some front runners could be mason or markstrom?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Parenteau was undervalued going into drafts this year and I expect the same to happen next year.

Dobber Sports Ace

is it finally that time where people start to see bobby Ryan as a guy perpetually overrated?
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin1390 View Post
    wait to see who gets traded where, but some front runners could be mason or markstrom?
    Khudobin and Bernier come to mind. Rock solid backups this season, could flourish if handed the starting role somewhere.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin