Page 94 of 102 FirstFirst ... 44 84 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1526

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Dallas Stars

I'm sure the breakup won't last long. But they played like garbage last night

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    can we all stop and remember you guys got Jason Spezza for ****ing Alex Chiasson? LOL
    Among other bargains.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I'm sure the breakup won't last long. But they played like garbage last night
    They have for this road trip by and large, and it's not their first stretch this season either.

I really believe your seeing a team that's gotten complacent, started to believe all the press clippings written about them. Yes there are other issues that still need addressed, but a lot of what has gone on recently is that.

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    can we all stop and remember you guys got Jason Spezza for ****ing Alex Chiasson? LOL
    Hey, Sens fans will tell you they won that trade big time.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Yeah, well...

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Padawan

I don't think so man. Spezza was a fan favorite, one of the best players we've ever had. But the team moved ina different direction, he was not happy, and wanted to go. Also a few idiots blamed him for everything bad that ever happened but thats nothing new, they've been doing that since Alfy was a young guy and every fanbase has guys like this.

From what I've read it was the prospects they were most interested in with this trade. They hoped Chiasson would work out obviously, but Nick Paul (looking good!) and Alex Guptil (not so much!) were supposedly just as important. It was never going to be a fair return, though, considering Spezza had us over the barrel.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    I don't think so man. Spezza was a fan favorite, one of the best players we've ever had. But the team moved ina different direction, he was not happy, and wanted to go. Also a few idiots blamed him for everything bad that ever happened but thats nothing new, they've been doing that since Alfy was a young guy and every fanbase has guys like this.

From what I've read it was the prospects they were most interested in with this trade. They hoped Chiasson would work out obviously, but Nick Paul (looking good!) and Alex Guptil (not so much!) were supposedly just as important. It was never going to be a fair return, though, considering Spezza had us over the barrel.
    It was just a shot at Big Ev haha, he gets really riled up over Jason Spezza.

Dobber Sports Wizard

No practice or morning skate so no hints at what Lindy is thinking about line changes, but there is this from Mike Heika:

Benn and Seguin rank second and third in the NHL in scoring and each were named Wednesday to participate the 2016 All-Star Game. But they each have gone scoreless and minus-5 in the past three games and the duo spent the final 12 minutes of the Rangers loss Tuesday on the bench. Now, Ruff appears ready to try them on different lines.

"I think it's not a long solution, it's a short solution," he said. "I think sometimes when there's some fluctuation, you separate it to create some energy. It might be a period, it might be a game, I don't know what it is. But it was a tough trip for them."
    Read into that what you will. And you can relax blayze.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm wondering if I should keep Hellebuyck in the line-up tonight. They haven't looked too good since New Year's Eve.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

A little follow up on my bold prediction that the Jackets and Preds almost immediately shot full of holes. I still think Nill pulls off a big trade for top pairing D-man. It's human nature that we look back to lineups from the past and compare them to our current teams. When you do that with the Stars, what's missing from this team vs the machine from the late-90's are players to fill the roles manned by Hatcher and Matvichuk. They do have players that almost perfectly mimic those two in terms of size, Oleksiak and Johns. But both are still a ways off from playing at that level. Nemeth is in the discussion, though like Oleksiak he's not getting much playing time and doesn't always use his size to maximum effect. They could both stand to play with a bit more nastiness, the very thing you think of when you hear the name Derian Hatcher. The game has changed some since those days, but the Stars definitely need more bulk on the back-end.

But the Stars are in win now mode, so you kind of get the feel that one or two of these young guys could be paired with a vet to bring in the big fish. If I'm guessing the vet to go would be Goose. Demers has been a pretty good addition for the Stars and he is that coveted righty defenseman. I think that one factor may be what works to put him a notch ahead of Goose in terms of Nill choosing to keep him and then extend him in the off-season, if he doesn't extend all three UFA D. Doesn't hurt that Demers would also be a cheaper re-sign than Goligoski. For what it's worth, I don't see re-signing all three of Goose, Demers, and Jordie. Trade one, keep one, and let the other walk. Not hard to see who's who on that list.

Nill could also throw a curveball and try to land some bodies for the goalie pipeline. The scariest thing if you really look at the Stars system as a whole is the glaring lack of anybody with a realistic shot at being an NHL backup, let alone starter. Philippe Desrosiers is currently the only goalie in the system with even a vague hope of making it, but he's only 20 and still years away. It's possible that even if Desrosiers does pan out he won't be ready when Niemi and Lehts contracts are up. Then what? Campbell is toast, he's on his second demotion to the ECHL. There was some talk earlier in the season that Jeff Reese thought highly of Campbell but that was also prior to this demotion. By all accounts that I can find Desrosiers has jumped Campbell on the depth chart. This one though I think Nill waits until the off-season to address, but there's always a chance he finds the right deal before the deadline. The next few weeks could be telling as far as Lehtonen's future beyond this season in Dallas.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I'm wondering if I should keep Hellebuyck in the line-up tonight. They haven't looked too good since New Year's Eve.
    I'm certainly hoping that this return to home ice, against a rival no less, is just the tonic they need. But you said it, they haven't looked good so far in 2016. Bit of complacency, and swelled heads, after that five game stretch to end 2015.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    I'm certainly hoping that this return to home ice, against a rival no less, is just the tonic they need. But you said it, they haven't looked good so far in 2016. Bit of complacency, and swelled heads, after that five game stretch to end 2015.
    I remember that 'Peg seemed to have their number last season.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I remember that 'Peg seemed to have their number last season.
    Who in the Central didn't have their number last season? The Stars have fared well in the division so far this season, that's where I hope they rediscover some of that lost mojo.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Who in the Central didn't have their number last season? The Stars have fared well in the division so far this season, that's where I hope they rediscover some of that lost mojo.
    This is true, but some of those teams in the division were legitimately better than Winnipeg was. What I remember in particular was the Stars making Pavelec and Hutchinson look like Price and Holtby...

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

The big news of the day for the Stars, Jim Nill's contract extended through the 2022-23 season. Captain Obvious moment, they have one of the best GM's in the business, let the building of a winner continue. Now what deals has he got brewing?

One more game and then a 5 day break, a chance to rest, heal, and tweak some elements of their game. The toll of 9 games in 16 days is showing, but it is a taste of what lies in store if they're gonna make a deep run in the playoffs and another learning moment for them.