Page 57 of 102 FirstFirst ... 7 47 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 67 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Dallas Stars

Haven't had a chance to watch the game yet, hopefully tomorrow. Obviously a good game from Kari which he's been needing if for no other reason then to get him back in his groove mentally. Signs are though it will be Lindback against the Flames tomorrow night. Daryl Reaugh mentioned in his post-game vlog that after last night Kari is 18-1-4 against the Pacific Division over the last two seasons. See that's all that was needed to get him right, just play every game against the Pacific. Keep calm and Kari on!

I notice on the Defending Big D twitter feed that it looks like Travis Morin had himself another good game. Him and McKenzie appear to have reignited the spark that line had last season in Cedar Park. That line with Sceviour on the RW was one of the, if not the best in the AHL last season. I'll pay extra attention to them when I sit down to watch the game.

I'll leave off with a couple of links to Mike Heika's must reads....

On Gaglardi....

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...-to-season.ece

On why now is the time to really teach....

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2014...are-huge.html/
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Ninja

Is Sceviour going to get a bit more playing time again at some point. Looks like he's in tough to really get many minutes considering the roster, and he's struggled a bit this season, but was certainly hoping for a bit more from him.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Right now I think he gets plenty of leash to grab a spot, in particular with Eaves out for a few more weeks. Morin's play kind of opens up some interesting dilemmas when Garbutt returns. If they don't send Morin back to Cedar Park, I kind of think they will, and if Garbutt doesn't serve time in Ruff's doghouse somebody has got to scratch. So far this season it seems to be McKenzie and Sceviour alternating as the healthy scratch depending on who Ruff thinks has the hottest hand or best play.

If they do send Morin back Sceviour will still get plenty of chances, but with who is anybody's guess.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Damn you snow!!! We had a snow/ice storm the other night, well turns out it screwed up the reception on my tv. So I got the first 6 minutes of the game and the rest was just scrambled garbage. I've never had that issue, ever, with DirecTV before. Ah well, so it goes in life.

On to today.

-Jordie is out sick, no word if it's the mumps. Nill did tell the media that the team had boosters three weeks ago and they feel they are in the clear, hopefully. I tacked on that 'hopefully', their exact word was believe. We'll see. Oleksiak draws back in as his replacement.

-Prospect Cole Ully was signed to an ELC. He's been tearing it up with Kamloops in the WHL this season with 48 points in 35 games. He's on pace for 95 points, which is realistic and fits with his career progression season by season. The knock on him is his size, 6' 170, but there's the usual ambiguity there. Kamloops lists him as 5'11" 180. Still if he can bulk up a bit he could make some noise in the AHL next season, and could potentially be another mid-to-late round gem dug up by the Stars scouts. I still think he's going to need plenty of breaks, then again don't 99% of prospects, but he will be one to watch over the next couple of seasons in Cedar Park to see what develops. Jason Dickinson and Remi Elie are currently ahead of him on the depth charts so he has his work cut out for him, but he can still be an intriguing player to watch and if one of them stumbles in their development maybe he can capitalize.

Lines from practice this morning:

Benn - Eakin - Seguin
    McKenzie - Spezza - Cole
    Roussel - Morin - Hemsky
    Horcoff - Fiddler - Sceviour

Projected D pairs, since Goli didn't skate. Nothing new with that but with the lingering nature of this undisclosed LBI you never know, he may scratch here or there I guess.

Jokipakka - Daley
    Goligoski - Klingberg
    Oleksiak - Demers

Lehtonen

Yeahhhhh, you know where I speculated yesterday Lindback would get this one....kindly ignore that. Never happened......never said it.....

Dobber Sports Padawan

fwiw Spezza was interviewed the other day while Stars were playing a Canadian team and was asked where the chemistry went between him and Hemsky. He said in fact they haven't actually played much together in Dallas. Wasn't snippy about it, the guy's always been a classy interviewee. I wonder what Ruff would think of that tho. I know they were tried out though i imagine ruff was troubled by the lack of defensive awareness by those two.
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by larrylintz View Post
    fwiw Spezza was interviewed the other day while Stars were playing a Canadian team and was asked where the chemistry went between him and Hemsky. He said in fact they haven't actually played much together in Dallas. Wasn't snippy about it, the guy's always been a classy interviewee. I wonder what Ruff would think of that tho. I know they were tried out though i imagine ruff was troubled by the lack of defensive awareness by those two.
    It seems like they have, but with all the line juggling that's been going on it's not been as much as it seems. Not sure who they had on their LW in Ottawa, but part of the issue in Dallas has been when they are together they don't have a finisher on the LW. Pass happy as they can be they need that complimentary piece. Hemsky has been utterly snakebitten on the goal scoring so that's the other side of the double whammy for him.

I can't imagine that Nill brought them in unaware of their defensive liabilities. All along they have said those two were here to provide secondary scoring. I do however think Ruff expects them to be better at it then they, and Hemsky in particular, have been. More the fool he if that's what Ruff was thinking. Any team that brings those two in concedes the defense for the offense. Spezza has the odd moment where he actually appears....competent, defensively. Few and very far between but that's better than Hemsky and Ruff appears bent on tying Hemmer's ice time and line mates to his defense and compete level in the grittier aspects. Like I said, more the fool Ruff is on that.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I need to make a correction/mea culpa to what I said about Ully earlier. I said he was behind Dickinson and Elie on the depth chart. Well a spotty memory and laziness can, and did, lead me to stick my foot in my mouth. Jason Dickinson is not a LW, he's a Center. I couldn't recall for sure and since I had HF and THN open I looked him up on there and they both had him listed as LW. Now an intelligent person would have consulted the Stars and Storm's website whereupon they would see him listed as a Center. Anyway, that gaffe aside, my thought remains the same, Ully will need plenty of breaks if he's going to make it to Dallas and shapes up as an interesting one to watch and see if he can capitalize if an opening presents itself.

And on a completely unrelated note, I want to say how much to despise the decision makers at the NHL media department, or whoever the rat bastard, dipsh!t, nimrod, mother loving..........is that is responsible for the following egregious effrontery which makes it necessary to unleash rant mode.....

[RANT ON] Really Center Ice, I'm Stars fan outside of Texas, and I have to settle for the crappy Flames announcers? Sorry Flames fans, I'm not hating on you or your announcers per se, I think all other teams announcers aside from Mickey Redmond and Ken Daniels suck, of course I do own up to my homerism. I'm a Stars fan, I want my Ralph and Razor! C'mon they're the best duo in the league, in my humble and utterly, completely, and unequivocally biased opinion. I can stream their audio online but it's always a minute or two or more behind the video. That just raises merry hell with my OCD. [RANT OFF]

I feel a little better now. I have exer-CISSSSED the demons, this room is now clean.......like !@#$ it is......

Dobber Sports Superstar

Where are you at?

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Where are you at?
    Kansas.

Ahhhh......hehehehe.....in light of some.....well okay I just updated Mike Heika's twitter feed and found out it wasn't the NHL's fault. The Stars are airing the game on a local Dallas TV station.......whoopsie.......let me re-phrase my...I called it a rant.....silly thing to call it.....it wasn't a rant....what I meant to type was a sincere heartfelt thank you to the Stars for giving those Stars fans in Dallas that don't have Center Ice a chance to see the Stars......yeah that's what it was...... actually...see what that previous post was is the fault of hackers who got a hold of my login info......that sounds better....yeah deflect the blame.....

Well I think I handled that situation in a calm rational adult manner........

Dobber Sports Veteran

NWO - you didnt miss much in regards to the game against Vancouver. Niether team played that well, lots of defensive errors by both sides. Lehtonen won the game for the Stars, holding off Vancouver in the first 10 minutes.

Not sure why you cant get your Dallas broadcast, its working for me. Are you using a moblie device? Try accessing the box score first and then choose your stream.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    NWO - you didnt miss much in regards to the game against Vancouver. Niether team played that well, lots of defensive errors by both sides. Lehtonen won the game for the Stars, holding off Vancouver in the first 10 minutes.

Not sure why you cant get your Dallas broadcast, its working for me. Are you using a moblie device? Try accessing the box score first and then choose your stream.
    I've got Center Ice through DirecTV, I don't have any access through mobile devices. I hoping maybe it's just a typo on the on-screen tv guide. If not oh well life goes on....though you wouldn't get that impression if you looked back about four posts.

As if there was ever any doubt about my passion, I think I settled it once and for all.

Dobber Sports Superstar

The Friday night games are broadcast by a local independent (KXTA), which also broadcasts some Dallas Mavericks and (Texas) Rangers games. Still Ralph and Razor on the call, though.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    The Friday night games are broadcast by a local independent (KXTA), which also broadcasts some Dallas Mavericks and (Texas) Rangers games. Still Ralph and Razor on the call, though.
    This is only the second time it's come up, but that's cool. Gives the local fans a chance to catch it for free if they can't swing the price for Center Ice.

You know a though just occurred to me.....I wa-wa-wa-wa-wonder if KXTA streams the video too......There may be hope yet......

Dobber Sports Wizard

Yeah that didn't work. And the feed on 1310 is way behind. They're calling the puck drop right now, and on TV it's at the 2:00 minutes in. That's too distracting to concentrate on the game so I shall soldier on. Keep calm and Kari on!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Between my fruitless searching and the dog wanting to go out I didn't get to settle in and really get into the action. So with that in mind I really don't have any comments to make about the action.

I will say this, it's the little things when you watch another feed that stand out. The one that keeps getting me is the way they say Seguin. Say-GANN, SA-ginn. That last one is perilously close to the pronunciation of the city of Seguin (Sa-geen), which could for a split second throw a Texan off, wondering what the heck a city east of San Antonio has to do with this game. Of course I'm sure at first Tyler got called Sa-geen a lot after he arrived in Dallas, may yet from non-hockey lovers. Any way I'm babbling and rambling....

On with the action....