In a limited Keeper (Keep 7) 10 team league. My keepers are as follows:

Parise
    Stamkos
    Giroux
    Letang
    Hall
    Smith
    Howard

I recently traded Fleury for Parise and a 1st and am now looking to strengthen my goal tending. I'm thinking about targeting Schneider and Rask. Our goalie cats are: GS, W, GAA, SV% and SO.

I am in talks on two seperate deals:

Deal 1: option a) Smith and L Ericsson for Schneider
    option b) Smith and 1st round pick for Schneider (1st rd pick typically brings back Ericsson level player)

Deal 2: option a) Smith and Ericsson for Rask
    option b) Howard and Ericsson for Rask

Questions:

1) who do you have more faith in next year - smith or Howard? I feel Smith is beneficiary of a defensive system and Howard is beneficiary of a solid detroit team. Departure of Lidstrom scares me.

2) I know there has been much debate of Rask vs Schneider - my question is regarding both of them (let's assume they are equal) - will they be top 10 fantasy goalies this year and going forward?

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Immortal

We know what Tippett's system does for the goalies that play there so I wouldn't expect anything to change with Smith this year.

I would be selling Howard right now with Detroit's current state of confusion. It's possible that Babcock will force the team into a defense first unit, but that would take time and might not even be successful.

Dobber Sports Giant

id take rask or schnider any day. luongo is not even gone yet.
    i like smith over howard too, so id go howard and a pick for rask.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

How comfortable would you be if your two starting goalies were rask and schneider? Is it too risky to go after both of them?

Dobber Sports Expert

Doan will be gone. Whitney is gone. Yandle may be gone.

I much prefer Detroit as a team, and Howard was spectacular until he was injured last season.

I take Howard over Smith.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Superstar

Jeez, I don't know about this. First thing that strikes me is that the asking price for Rask and Schneider is a bit high for a 10 team keeper?? Giving up either Smith or Howard who are both established number 1 goalies for either Rask or Schneider who are top prospects but are for the most part still unproven starters and then throwing in a legit 70+ point forward in Eriksson seems a bit stiff. Eriksson and Howard/Smith for a Rinne or a Lundqvist, yeah. Anyway, give me Howard next year, I think the changes in Detriot are being overblown and the team will be fine and so will Howard. The Yotes are totally unstable compared to the Wings, give me the history; Red Wings and Howard. So, in moving Smith, who do you target. I would strongly suggest that you examine this more closely, are Schnieder and Rask equal? Maybe. But for me, give me Rask. Others may disagree. However, based on this I move Smith and Eriksson for Rask. Hope this helps
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like Howard more than Smith too. Smith has had one good season on Phx and that roster looks worst this season. Howard (his roster doesn't look better) has at least had multiple seasons as a starter and a good one at that during the regular season. I think there's more stability in his situation as well.

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd counter by saying that Smith may have had just the one good season, but Bryzgalov had 42 and 36 wins (combined 15 shutouts) in the two years before he left for Philly (and before Smith took over).

Two years ago, Doan led Phoenix with 55 points.

A year ago, Doan led with 60.

There's been some changes this summer in Phoenix, but Dave Tippett is one of the best defensive coaches in the game.

The point I'm making is that Tippett will continue to ride his starting goalie, gets his starting goalie really good numbers, and despite the loss of Whitney and maybe Doan, that should continue this coming year.

I'd actually lean towards Smith, because the loss of Lidstrom has the potential to be absolutely disastrous in Detroit, especially given that they've replaced him with jacks***

So may answer to 1 is: Smith

2: I think Rask will be top-10...and Schneider could be, but only if the Canucks move Luongo. If that doesn't happen - and it seems more and more likely by the day - then Schneider will be in a battle to keep that starting job. If Lui is moved, Schneider is the undisputed #1 and should have very, very nice numbers
    Last edited by Reuben; July 18, 2012 at 12:20 AM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    I'd counter by saying that Smith may have had just the one good season, but Bryzgalov had 42 and 36 wins (combined 15 shutouts) in the two years before he left for Philly (and before Smith took over).

Two years ago, Doan led Phoenix with 55 points.

A year ago, Doan led with 60.

There's been some changes this summer in Phoenix, but Dave Tippett is one of the best defensive coaches in the game.

The point I'm making is that Tippett will continue to ride his starting goalie, gets his starting goalie really good numbers, and despite the loss of Whitney and maybe Doan, that should continue this coming year.

I'd actually lean towards Smith, because the loss of Lidstrom has the potential to be absolutely disastrous in Detroit, especially given that they've replaced him with jacks***

So may answer to 1 is: Smith

2: I think Rask will be top-10...and Schneider could be, but only if the Canucks move Luongo. If that doesn't happen - and it seems more and more likely by the day - then Schneider will be in a battle to keep that starting job. If Lui is moved, Schneider is the undisputed #1 and should have very, very nice numbers
    I was just about to make the same points about Smith & Tippett and Howard & Lidstrom. To go further back with Tippett, he pumped Turco into the top tier of goalies during his Dallas years too. If you look at Bryz & Turco without Tippett, you see straight line correlating Tippett & very good goalie stats.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'd rather have Smith over Howard and Rask.. and I even own Schneider but I feel Rask will be better and as of now he has a starting job secured.
    2010-2011 League Champion
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2,G | G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, BS, W, GAA, SV%
    C: Getzlaf, Backstrom
    LW: Hall, Tlusty
    RW: Malkin, Lupul
    D: Ehrhoff, Del Zotto, Enstrom, Carle
    G: Holtby, Smith
    Bench: Faulk, Druoin, MacKinnon, Brodin, S. Mason, Bernier
    H2H Keeper League [5F, 1D, 1F/D 1G]
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO
    F:Tavares, Landeskog, E.Kane, Backes, Yakupov, RNH/Kesler
    D: Green/OEL
    G: Rask

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by 3rtpaper View Post
    I'd rather have Smith over Howard and Rask.. and I even own Schneider but I feel Rask will be better and as of now he has a starting job secured.
    That's a bold statement! Too bad we are not in the same league; we would be ideal trading partners (Rask over Howard and Smith for me).
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Seeds of Grapes View Post
    That's a bold statement! Too bad we are not in the same league; we would be ideal trading partners (Rask over Howard and Smith for me).
    If I was looking to win now it would definitely be Rask and Smith for me. Long term I still think Rask but Howard is 2 years younger so I would favor him if I was looking a year or 2 down the road. Granted if Hasek plays at 48 why can't Smith do the same . The goalies are close in both situations It is more prefrence than anything really. I like the debate though especually with Rask and Schneider.. lots of talk comparing those 2.
    2010-2011 League Champion
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2,G | G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, BS, W, GAA, SV%
    C: Getzlaf, Backstrom
    LW: Hall, Tlusty
    RW: Malkin, Lupul
    D: Ehrhoff, Del Zotto, Enstrom, Carle
    G: Holtby, Smith
    Bench: Faulk, Druoin, MacKinnon, Brodin, S. Mason, Bernier
    H2H Keeper League [5F, 1D, 1F/D 1G]
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO
    F:Tavares, Landeskog, E.Kane, Backes, Yakupov, RNH/Kesler
    D: Green/OEL
    G: Rask

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by jay_capa View Post
    1) who do you have more faith in next year - smith or Howard? I feel Smith is beneficiary of a defensive system and Howard is beneficiary of a solid detroit team. Departure of Lidstrom scares me.

2) I know there has been much debate of Rask vs Schneider - my question is regarding both of them (let's assume they are equal) - will they be top 10 fantasy goalies this year and going forward?

1) Howard easily. Smith will be solid again in Phx. But Howard was unbelievable. Lidstrom or no Lidstrom, he will be great again.

2) If/When Lou is traded, they will both be top 10 (7-10ish). I'd take Rask before Schneider just because the Bruins have a way better defensive structure.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11