Thread: Who is a solid buy low candidate?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Who is a solid buy low candidate?

I'm looking to help my goaltending situation by targeting a handful of buy low starting goalies for a potential trade prior to our September draft. This means Goalies who may have had off seasons, been slowed by injury or played on teams that struggle big time last year but should improve significantly this year if the stars align. I'm looking to keep the price as low as possible and that means targeting guys who are not the elite (top ten types but bottom 20 type tendies who could turn things around and pay their owners good dividends next year. Certainly one guy who comes to mind is Ward. Another, for different reasons might be Dubnyk. Right now the only tender I have that I am fairly confident in is Rask. Lindback is unknown, Markstrom, if the Cats sign Bobby Lou loses fantasy value big time, and I'm thinking Bernier is going to have a hell of a time getting out of LA this year and Harding is a crap shoot at best. So, I need some help. If your in my boots, who would you go after??
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Ninja

Jonas Hiller, who had a solid second half would be a good buy-low candidate but I wouldn't expect TOO much from him...
    Semyon Varlamov who struggled a tad bit with consistency last season but who I think will be better this year.

Bryzgalov would be a good buy low but he would probably still cost a decent amount so he may not fit the bill...same with Ryan Miller

Nabokov, with Montoya gone could see a good workload and could probably had for relatively cheap.

Just a few off the top of my head.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

there is always mason from columbus or bobrovsky, he jus might usurp mason.you may also be able to get brodure , he just signed for 2 more years.
    IFL-full keeper,g,a,+/-,ppg,ppa,shg,gwg(goalies)w,so,shots,-1/goal :dress 9f,6d, 2g/ week 25man roster.
    kucherov,marner,mathews,ovechkin,oshie,s.aho, kopitar, kadri,stephenson,malkin, Hartman,Erickson EK(d)letang,krug,fox, doughty ,goligoski,ekholm, forsling, durzi, grzelcyk(g)bobrovsky,m.a.fleury, reimer, francouz

ABL-markstrom,shesterkin,ullmark(f)Giroux,Tavares,ovec hkin,geuntzel, Sam Bennett , r Strome , buchnevich, zbinejad,bjorkstrand , Vrana, stone,pacioretty, rust , Rossi(d)brannstrom,ellis,hedman, Ty smith, Teows, weegar,Soucy , gostisbehere (same stats as above league)

Dobber Sports Ace

I like the guys you mention (ward and dubnyk). I also think that luongo owners might be jittery. Crawford owners may also worry about another down season but he has little competition.
    10 Team Salary Cap Keeper League-protect up to 15
    Total of points and +/-; position vs. position (ie. my 2 Centres vs. his 2 Centres)
    C -Crosby, Ribeiro, Strome, Granlund
    LW -Neal, Nyquist, Johansson, TBD
    RW -Coyle, Eberle, TBD, TBD
    D -Streit, Phaneuf, Green, Keith, Letang, TBD
    G -S. Mason, TBD

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Jonas Hiller, who had a solid second half would be a good buy-low candidate but I wouldn't expect TOO much from him...
    Semyon Varlamov who struggled a tad bit with consistency last season but who I think will be better this year.

Bryzgalov would be a good buy low but he would probably still cost a decent amount so he may not fit the bill...same with Ryan Miller

Nabokov, with Montoya gone could see a good workload and could probably had for relatively cheap.

Just a few off the top of my head.
    Stole my thunder, b0ndon - Hiller was the first guy I thought about.

The Wolverine

Another guy to consider is Pavelec. Who knows how much improvement the Jets will have next season but he's a young guy who has the main gig to himself, there is a decent chance that he improves his numbers.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I honestly think I would run with Rask and Lindback and catch what you can in the draft. Which 12 players are you planning to protect? With only 10 pro keepers per team - there is going to be something available of interest in the draft.

Dobber Sports Deity

I think Crawford is an excellent buy low player going into this year. Even though he went 30-17 last year, most pundits consider him to have gone through a sophmore slump and had an unstable year. Theres lots of talk about Chicago and their goaltending situation so that makes owners nervous about him. I would be knocking on the door of Crawford owners and seeing what it will take to get him. I think hes going to have a solid "bounce-back" year (even though I didnt think he was that bad last year).
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I honestly think I would run with Rask and Lindback and catch what you can in the draft. Which 12 players are you planning to protect? With only 10 pro keepers per team - there is going to be something available of interest in the draft.
    Thanks for this Shoeless, I was thinking along the same lines and it is obviously a viable option but I was also thinking if I could snag a bargain in a trade and go into the draft feeling more confident in my goaltending that would be a good thing. Goalie numbers are significant in our league scoring so I'm feeling the pressure. Just to clarify, we start 2 goalies. Most teams are holding at least three and some have more. Some teams are weak and others are stacked with 3 or 4 legit starters. Bottom line, quality tending is not real easy to get. However, I just went through everyone's roster and evaluated their goaltending. Putting myself in their shoes, I identified 2 keeper tendies from each team and compiled a list of the guys that could be available in the draft. This is a best effort and by no means bullet proof but it's a starting point. Here is that list:

Lehner, Bob, Bishop, Khubodin, Lehtonen, Giguere, Enroth, Anderson, Mason, Varlamov, Roloson, Neuvirth, Crawford, Howard, Holtby, Dubnyk, Elliot, Backstrom, Ward, Emery, Brodeur

I'm still debating my keepers but will include my current selections. Bear in mind this is subject to change based on any number of things happening, but this is where I'm at now. The big Goaltending keeper bummer is Markstrom! I had planned on protecting him as a rookie and going into the season with Rask, Lindback and Markstrom. God I hope Luongo signs anywhere other than Florida!! This doesn't look so good at the moment however, and has forced me to continue looking at Keeper options. It's also giving me a headache trying to decide on my protected rookies. Anyway, here is my protected list:

Forwards:
    Protected: Stamkos, Crosby, Heatley, Ribeiro, Koivu
    Drop: Roy (can't keep them all), Okoposo (really hoping to re draft), Turris, Berglund, Mueller

Defence:
    Protected: Goligoski, Kronwall, Campbell
    Drop: Ehrhoff (ouch), Kulikov (re draft), Hedman

Rookies:
    Protected: Smith, Schwartz, Markstrom* (slots in pending the Luongo situation)
    Drop: Hagelin (tough call), Strome (all about making the Isles this year), Voynov

Goalies:
    Protected: Rask, Lindback
    Drop: Harding, Bernier

So, there it is. Certainly lots of options and ways to go I guess. Any and all help is much appreciated.

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

Drops

Dobber Sports Superstar

Just wanted to add a little more info that is relevant. I've got a pretty strong draft coming up in the fall. I was in the toilet last year so I decided to partially re build and cut loose some aging assets to acquire draft picks. Bottom line, I have 8 picks in the first 4 rounds; two firsts (1 and 7), one 2nd, two 3rds and 4 in the fourth. This should give me some nice options.

I'm planning on going after young elite forwards to replace guys like Heatley, Ribeiro and Koivu. The plan is to take Yak first overall and then add one of Granlund (that would be sweet), Galy or Taresenko (there are others??). After that we'll see how things go. This "strategy" also factors into considering adding a goalie on the cheap prior to the draft. In doing so, I can acquire those young forwards without thinking I'm killing myself by not taking a Goalie in the first round. I dunno. What do you guys think?

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Keepers

Drops

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

HAHAHAHA.. All these other people help you out and you only thank Shoeless?? I have mad love for Shoe on these boards, and he knows that.. But come on Bubb's, spread the love dude..

Hiller, Howard, Crawford, and Pavelec come to mind.. Ward could be had cheaper then ever right now too.. Goalies can always be had in leagues though, they always seem to be so up and down. Rinne is a stud, but since he didn't win any of the big awards I bet he could be had at a reasonable price, ok maybe not to that extent, but you know what I mean..

And by saying that, maybe a guy like Carey Price is worth a look??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Superstar

Not to worry Zorro, I am a Love Machine!! What Shoeless hit on was suggesting I go the draft route rather than the trade route. My heads been aching over this since I figured out that Markstrom could be headed for fantasy obscurity if Luongo signs with the Cats. Go with Rask and Lindback or, try and upgrade via trade. I still have no idea. I'm also a frugal Love Machine, if I go trade I want to do it on the cheap. Thus, this thread. Naturally, I absolutely appreciate everyone's contributions and I can use all the help I can get. Once this thread has run it's course (hopefully a bunch more guys will jump in and current contributers will re visit) you will feel the love!! Not sure if that's proper protocol or not, hell I'm an old guy, getting the computer turned on is a accomplishment. It took me three months to figure out what LOL and IMO meant!

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Keepers

Drops

Dobber Sports Genius

B-E-R-N-I-E-R ????

no mention of him yet....a good buy low if he gets moved....he's ready
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Novice

Backstrom in Minny could probably be had cheap, I think he will have a strong bounce back year with a better team in front of him

Dobber Sports Superstar

I already own Bernier but I'm almost convinced he is stuck behind Quick for one more year. We'll see if his trade demand is met but there is little motivation for the Kings to move him unless someone offers up some legit compensation. But, you never know, I could be looking at keeping Bernier rather than Lindback if he lands in the right spot. He'd be a great target for a re draft too if he gets his opportunity.

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Keepers

Drops