Thread: Kick Starter

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Kick Starter

Not sure if anyone has heard of kickstarter dot com, but it seems to be a pretty great place. There seems to be a lot of creative people on these forums, so give it a gander. I came across it because I am trying to start my own business (and was looking for creative ways to get funding), which unfortunately negates me from being eligible. Best of luck! And let us know if anyone does put something up on kick start, so we can spread the word and perhaps give your project a kick!

http://www.kickstarter.com/

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Pro

Just saw that you also have to be a permanent American citizen... sorry fellow Canadians / non Americans
    Last edited by Ross The Boss Palmer; July 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I've helped four different projects. Three video games (Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns and Double Fine Adventure) and one documentary film about the Occupy movement. It got done and you can watch it here if you want: http://www.occudoc.org/

I love the concept of crowdfunding. Indiegogo.com is another site with a similar concept. It will be interesting to see what happens with people's generosity once more projects somehow don't get finished because it's bound to happen. Then again, this is a Kickstarter, meant to start the project off. In some lucky cases the entire funding can be provided, but in most cases it'll probably be a push on the way.

But yeah, love the concept of sidestepping distributors, especially for video games, because it means that more niche projects can get done that otherwise wouldn't get funding in the traditional way.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    I've helped four different projects. Three video games (Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns and Double Fine Adventure) and one documentary film about the Occupy movement. It got done and you can watch it here if you want: http://www.occudoc.org/

I love the concept of crowdfunding. Indiegogo.com is another site with a similar concept. It will be interesting to see what happens with people's generosity once more projects somehow don't get finished because it's bound to happen. Then again, this is a Kickstarter, meant to start the project off. In some lucky cases the entire funding can be provided, but in most cases it'll probably be a push on the way.

But yeah, love the concept of sidestepping distributors, especially for video games, because it means that more niche projects can get done that otherwise wouldn't get funding in the traditional way.
    Awesome to see someone already has some history with all this. Both links you posted are very interesting. I am looking into whether or not I am eligible to post my project on indiegogo.com right now, and thus far it seems possible

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Holy cow - what a concept. Thank you Ross and Sentium for this. Currently developing a plan for a social enterprise project in Cambodia and this really sparked some ideas for me.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Holy cow - what a concept. Thank you Ross and Sentium for this. Currently developing a plan for a social enterprise project in Cambodia and this really sparked some ideas for me.
    I think www.kiva.org is a site that could interest you if you don't already know about it. It's a microloans site making it really easy. I've been giving some money here and there to http://www.kiva.org/team/nerdfighters but it's an easy way to organize things.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    I think www.kiva.org is a site that could interest you if you don't already know about it. It's a microloans site making it really easy. I've been giving some money here and there to http://www.kiva.org/team/nerdfighters but it's an easy way to organize things.
    Thanks Sentium, actually know a lot about Kiva - I started a micro-credit operation in Cambodia a couple of years ago and it's going strong - different model than Kiva, but always learning from others like them.

But once again you made me twitch on another idea - thanks for that.
    Last edited by Shoeless; July 8, 2012 at 11:16 PM.

Dobber Sports Novice

i've backed 9 projects on kickstarter myself. great site.
    sentium - i also backed wastelands 2 and shadowrun returns! lol
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    2008-9 CHAMPION

Dobber Sports Pro

I am wondering if it is illegal to have have multiple crowdfunding campaigns going on multiple platforms. For instance, setting up a campaigns that are related/similar/completely separate on IndieGoGo, GoFundMe, and IAmScientist running at the same time. Does anyone know if this is a common practice, illegal, never thought off (yea right), or never tried (should be!).

Cheers,
    Ross

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I don't see why it would be illegal, but I wonder if it's effective to spread out like that instead of concentrating on one single source. I can't say that I've seen it happen so far and I've been fairly interested in several sites, pledged to several projects. One big question is probably how the reward tiers would be handled, but it's all based on the money coming in anyway. Also, most are done with the caveat that even if you pledge money, the project may never be finalized and therefore you might not see anything from the reward tier you chose, if there are any rewards.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Pro

My business idea is rather layered, which is why I thought multiple campaigns for separate aspects of the business may be useful, but I know that other people have campaigned their projects and provided many updates in a single campaign.

A solid piece of advice I once received was to ask for a lot, people will take you more seriously. Perhaps a single campaign on a single platform is the way to go.

Cheers!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I look at it this way: It's not illegal to seek investment capital from several private investors, therefore it should not be illegal to use several different crowdfunding sites.
    GO WINGS!