Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: What books are you reading?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Reading the "Luckiest Man" by Jonathan Eig, a book on the life of Lou Gehrig..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Just finished SuperFreakonomics. Pretty interesting if you're into that sort of stuff.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I'm looking forward to reading Wind Through the Keyhole as well soon. Though after I'm done with Newsflesh, I plan on getting my hands on 11/22/63, which has just come out in paperback over here.
    I have finished Newsflesh, and I have found out there is a prequel called Countdown (leading up to The Rising), but it's only available as a ebook in US. Supposed to be available in the UK at some point, though not sure if it's limited to Kindle users or can be downloaded as a PDF etc.

Have just started Stephen King's 11/22/63 - intrigued.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Just started reading the game of thrones series... pretty good so far.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Reading the "Luckiest Man" by Jonathan Eig, a book on the life of Lou Gehrig..
    One of the best biographies I have ever read. Quite a remarkable (and sad) story.

Currently reading:

"Predicable Irrationality." Interesting look at faulty decision-making processes we humans possess.

Recently read:

"The Shadow of the Wind." Very chilling and a unique story.

"Unbroken." The best book I have read. Hands down.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    "Unbroken." The best book I have read. Hands down.
    It's certainly up there. Phenomenal story.

Banned

Finished off Out of My League by Dirk Hayhurst. Read The Bullpen Gospels before that. Great reads for baseball fans but also sports fans in general, even though Dirk only pitched in 25 major league games (he's on The Fan 590 now).

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Just thought of two good fantasy trilogies you guys might want to look up. I read them many years ago so I don't remember the story, but I remember I enjoyed them.

Song of Albion, by Stephen Lawhead
    Fionavar Taperstry, by Guy Gavriel Kay
    H2H Daily 12 Team League, 7 Keepers
    Start 3C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4D, 2G
    G, A, +/-, SOG, PPP, PIM, HIT, BLK, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion

C- Tavares, Krejci, Trocheck
    LW- Hall, Lee, Guentzel (C), Lucic, Skinner, Marchessault (C)
    RW- Lindholm (C), Radulov, Nylander (C), Arvidsson,
    D- Weber, Provorov, Klingberg, Hamilton
    G- Bishop, Lehner, Mrazek

Farm: Zacha, Bjork

Dobber Sports Pro

Currently reading Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson. pretty good if you like non-fiction. it follows 2 storylines: the construction of the Chicago World's Fair, and a crazy serial killer who preyed on people there. it's very interesting part of American history that's been overlooked by most.

can't go wrong with the Game of Thrones series. one of the best storylines I've ever encountered and Martin is a phenomenal writer. Storm of Swords and Dance with Dragons are the two best IMO.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy is good too-- if you can handle his writing style. A lot of people don't like it.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

I took me a long time to read the first book, and unfortunately I've fallen into the same trap with the 3rd book. Funny how a 1 year old, work, and grad school can do that to ya.

I'll have to start from scratch in the fall. I'll hopefully have it done in time for Game of Thrones season 3.
    I'm also (re-)reading SoS. I think it's actually better the second time around. There's lots of little things I missed that I'm picking up on this time.

I just finished The Judging Eye by R. Scott Bakker, the fourth book in his Second Apocalypse series. If you enjoy the Martin series, you may enjoy this as well.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by El Caballo View Post
    Currently reading Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson. pretty good if you like non-fiction. it follows 2 storylines: the construction of the Chicago World's Fair, and a crazy serial killer who preyed on people there. it's very interesting part of American history that's been overlooked by most.

can't go wrong with the Game of Thrones series. one of the best storylines I've ever encountered and Martin is a phenomenal writer. Storm of Swords and Dance with Dragons are the two best IMO.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy is good too-- if you can handle his writing style. A lot of people don't like it.
    Wow. We read alot of the same things.

I would highly recommend Isaac's Storm if you like Larson.

I haven't read Blood Meridian yet, but it's making it's way to the top of my stack. McCarthy's one of my favorites now.

RETIRED

Banned

one of my all time favorites...

reread the border trilogy this summer. not sure i if i am ready for another go at blood meridian yet...

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
    one of my all time favorites...

reread the border trilogy this summer. not sure i if i am ready for another go at blood meridian yet...

I haven't gotten to the Border Trilogy yet-- I've been meaning to for some time. I love Cormac McCarthy; he's one of my favorites.
    If you haven't seen The Road or read it yet, I would definitely recommend reading it. I read it before I watched the movie, and I was a little let down by the film. It didn't have the same intensity that the book had, and so I feel bad for those who watched it and didn't read it. McCarthy writes some really, really harrowing scenes in The Road (and in Blood Meridian too)

I've heard a lot of good things about Isaac's Storm as well. I want to make an effort to read more non-fiction so I plan on taking that down soon

Dobber Sports Superstar

I haven't gotten to the Border Trilogy yet-- I've been meaning to for some time. I love Cormac McCarthy; he's one of my favorites.
    If you haven't seen The Road or read it yet, I would definitely recommend reading it. I read it before I watched the movie, and I was a little let down by the film. It didn't have the same intensity that the book had, and so I feel bad for those who watched it and didn't read it. McCarthy writes some really, really harrowing scenes in The Road (and in Blood Meridian too)

I've heard a lot of good things about Isaac's Storm as well. I want to make an effort to read more non-fiction so I plan on taking that down soon
    Yeah, I can't recommend it enough. Like Black Hawk Down, it's non-fiction that reads like an action movie. It doesn't seem to get the attention or notoriety that Larson's other books have, though.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Genius

Stephen King's 11/22/63 Very Good. A man goes back in time to try and prevent the assassination of JFK.

James Duthie's The Day I almost killed two Gretzkys. Fun read for any sports fan.

Stephen King's The Dome ....100 pages in....
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.