Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: What books are you reading?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    The Passage - Justin Cronin. (73% through, per Kindle... really enjoying it).
    I consumed The Passage in about 4 days. Really enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one to come out (September?).

Over the summer I have listened to Robopocalypse (decent for entertainment value), and Unbroken (simply phenomenal), Solaris (and old book that is much better than the horrid movie).

I am currently listening to a book on the History of the Mormons - we made some new friends who are Mormon and while I have zero (or whatever number is less than zero) interest in converting, I really want to have some insight into their mindsight so I can try and be a decent friend.

As for actual reading I am working my way through Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared Diamond - just started it and it looks like it's going to be an interesting read, an Autobiography by the Red Baron entitled 'The Red Fighter' (fascinating look at being an air pilot - and one of the best - in WWI) and 'The Social Animal' by David Brooks (interesting book on sociology and psychology and how we are shaped as people according to our current understandings)

PS> Oh I also read the first book in the Death Gate Cycle and while it was 'ok', I doubt I'll continue on with the series.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Just started it but it seems more of a spin-off, set a few hundred years after Fall of Hyperion.

I started Ender's Game but couldn't get into it.
    I read Ender's Game without knowing the ending and that made a huge difference. Not sure if you know how it ends or not.

If you like Science Fiction I can't recommend the Foundation Series by Asimov enough. Fantastic series!
    Last edited by doulos; July 7, 2012 at 4:59 PM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Ender's Game is one of my favourites of all time. Fantastic story.

They need to make a movie of it... it's been "under production" for over a decade now.

Dobber Sports Genius

Foundation is a great series.

I'm currently reading the 13th book of the Wheel of Time series.

Next I'll either read Erikson's 3rd book of the Malazan novels or some Sherlock Homes stories. I've been reading those off and on. Although, I will be getting a copy of one of Patrick Rothfuss's books which I hear are great.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Wizard

Finished Gone With the Wind a couple weeks ago, and I'm about halfway through Roots right now. Apparently I'm in a slavery type of mood, that can't be good.

Two awesome stories....GWTW is great if you're into bizarre love stories, but Roots is incredible. If you haven't read it or seen the old mini-series, do so.

Pumped there's a book thread going....I don't think I've gone more than a week without a book in my hand since I was about 8 years old.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default also reading WoT

yeah I am also re-reading The Wheel of Time for something like the 5th time. Currently on The Great Hunt.

Also Promethea by Alan Moore

Walking Dead is so old. Kirkmans been killing his characters & pulling his cliffhangers off for years - and I still love it.

Like the show less. Doesn't matter. Breaking Bad season 5 starts soon!
    12 Team $ Keeper Dynasty (top 5 get paid) - ROTO daily changes

Roster: 3C / 3LW / 3RW / 4D / 1 Util / 2 G / 5 Bn / 6 Farm
    Scoring : G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, W, GAA, Save %, SO

C: Crosby, Hodgson, Steen, Dubinsky
    W: Alfredsson, Nash, Hall, J. Jokinen, Michalek, D. Brown, Simmonds, Yakupov, C. Neil
    D: Edler, Carlson, Kulikov, R. Ellis, Wideman
    G: Backstrom, Harding, S. Mason, Khudobin
    Prospects (<150 GP): Tarasenko, Etem, B. Smith, Hamilton, Lack, Tokarski

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post

Other great books that I would recommend is Ready Player One if you grew up during the 80s and 90s, as it uses A LOT from that period of media, so it draws you in with nostalgia. The Windup Girl is another great read if you want something unique. Any book by Neil Gaiman is great, but Neverwhere and Stardust are particularly great.
    Gaiman is the best- lol! Just finished reading American Gods and Neverwhere- so quotable- haha! Also cant get enough Croup and Vandemar- best villains ever! I was going to skip stardust cause I really didnt enjoy the movie at all (and I actually thought I would being a Gaiman fan). Still worth reading?

Dobber Sports Guru

My three on the go right now are:

The west and the rest, Niall Ferguson
    Into the Silence, Wade Davis
    Arguably, Christoper Hitchens

For you Zombie guys lookup Clarvius Narcisse in Haiti and if it interests you read Serpent and the Rainbow by Wade Davis. He's an ethnobotanist but a fantastic storytelller. West and the rest is a broad look at some economic and social conditions that fostered North American development. Christoper Hitchins' Arguably, is a collection of essays but he was a great writer and he actually played devils advocate at Mother Theresa's sainthood "trial".
    Last edited by wendelclark17; July 8, 2012 at 1:17 AM.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    The west and the rest, Niall Ferguson
    Interesting guy - his documentary series "The War Of The World" was excellent. If you haven't seen it you should seek it out.

/edit: Here you go: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-war-of-the-world/
    Last edited by PrairieDog; July 8, 2012 at 1:57 AM.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Gaiman is the best- lol! Just finished reading American Gods and Neverwhere- so quotable- haha! Also cant get enough Croup and Vandemar- best villains ever! I was going to skip stardust cause I really didnt enjoy the movie at all (and I actually thought I would being a Gaiman fan). Still worth reading?
    Yeah, totally. I thought the movie was fine, but my friend who is kind of religious about Gaiman thought that the movie was an abomination. There are quite a few differences between the book and the movie. If you like Gaiman's other work, you'll like Stardust IMO. And yeah, Croup and Vandemar are the best
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Icon

Yeah, totally. I thought the movie was fine, but my friend who is kind of religious about Gaiman thought that the movie was an abomination. There are quite a few differences between the book and the movie. If you like Gaiman's other work, you'll like Stardust IMO. And yeah, Croup and Vandemar are the best
    I'm also a big Gaiman fan - his best work IMO was the Sandman series, just beyond brilliant with amazing characters. Has anyone seen Mirrormask? I know some who found it boring but I loved it.
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I actually borrowed a big compilation book from the library. Two inches thick, the first Sandman compilation Haven't started reading it yet though
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Icon

I actually borrowed a big compilation book from the library. Two inches thick, the first Sandman compilation Haven't started reading it yet though
    You should also pick up the two Death mini-series (The High Cost of Living and The Time of Your Life).

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Man_not_Puck View Post
    yeah I am also re-reading The Wheel of Time for something like the 5th time. Currently on The Great Hunt.

Also Promethea by Alan Moore

Walking Dead is so old. Kirkmans been killing his characters & pulling his cliffhangers off for years - and I still love it.

Like the show less. Doesn't matter. Breaking Bad season 5 starts soon!
    WOT is great! And it only gets better each time you re-read it and pick up things you missed the first few times... sad RJ isn't around to finsih it though But The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern RJ's Conan The Barbarian stuff was pretty good too.

Another great author I always make time to go back and re-read ever few years is Charles Bukowski. He's one of my favourite writers. He wrote a number of great novels including Post Office, Women, Hollywood and published a bunch of poetry too. It's not for everyone but it's damn good stuff if you have the stomach for it.

And like Man_not_Puck mentioned, anything by Alan Moore is generally really, really good. Especially if you're a comic book fan or have interest in what that medium can achieve when it's at the top of it's form. "Watchmen" gets talked about a lot but Moore has done a ton of other great stuff that's worth a look including From Hell, Swamp Thing, Top 10, Tom Strong, V For Vendetta etc. (but if it's been adapted into a movie you're probably better of reading the source material! Ha).
    Team 1
    C: Kuznetsov
    LW: Ovechkin, Hall, Gaudreau, Huberdeau
    RW: Perry, Voracek, Nyquist
    D: Hedman,
    G: Schneider, Hellebuyck*
    Prospects: Lazar, Mantha, Bjorkstrand, Gillies, P.L. Dubois, Konency
    * Prospect Bonus

Team 2
    C: Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom, Coyle
    LW: Saad, Lucic, van Reimsdyk, Kuznetsov
    RW: Ovechkin, Connolly
    D: Byfuglein, Krug, Green, Lindholm, Savard
    G: Price, Varlamov, Anderson, Bernier, Pickard
    Prospects: Nurse, Milano, Hellebuyck, Jarry, Gillies, Chychrun

Dobber Sports Icon

To all Neil Gaiman fans, some awesome news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GndnR7oSYYk