Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: What books are you reading?

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Listening to the classic SciFi novel Hyperion on audiobook right now. About halfway through and I can't believe I've never experienced it before. I am sure I'll follow it up with the sequel right away. Phenomenal book!
    There's 4 books in that series, all amazing - Endymion and the Rise of Endymion take place hundreds of years after the second book, but continue the story and are well worth the read. If you like this series, you should also pick up Ilium and Olympos (also by Simmons), just brilliant stuff.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post

Currently I'm reading the fifth book in the Song of Ice and Fire Series (Dance with Dragons) by George RR Martin, and a book (somewhat outdated yet highly relevant) by Noam Chomsky called "Failed States" -- general about US exceptionalism and foreign policy. It's very readable, though.
    I'm reading A Dance With Dragons now too, probably only 100 pgs to go, I have no idea what I'll do when I finish I'll be stuck waiting til next year to find out what happens However, I am looking forward to seeing how they adapt the series to the last 2 books...the way the author chose to split the storylines is not going to fly well in TV format I suspect so it will be interesting to see how they compose it.

I saw Chomsky speak in university, the man is just scary smart and insightful. The last book I read of his though (Hegemony or Survival) depressed me to no end though, the way he lays out how the game is actually being played is just painful to read...very much an example of our modern day 'Game of Thrones' if you will

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    There's 4 books in that series, all amazing - Endymion and the Rise of Endymion take place hundreds of years after the second book, but continue the story and are well worth the read. If you like this series, you should also pick up Ilium and Olympos (also by Simmons), just brilliant stuff.
    Well Sci-Fi is my latest trend. Trying to read through/listen to as many of the 'top books' as I can. A few years ago it was Post-Apocalpytic, and last year it was more Non-Fiction stuff.

If you have any other suggestions, fire away. Dune, a few more of Niven's things etc, are all on the list.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I'm reading A Dance With Dragons now too, probably only 100 pgs to go, I have no idea what I'll do when I finish I'll be stuck waiting til next year to find out what happens However, I am looking forward to seeing how they adapt the series to the last 2 books...the way the author chose to split the storylines is not going to fly well in TV format I suspect so it will be interesting to see how they compose it.

I saw Chomsky speak in university, the man is just scary smart and insightful. The last book I read of his though (Hegemony or Survival) depressed me to no end though, the way he lays out how the game is actually being played is just painful to read...very much an example of our modern day 'Game of Thrones' if you will
    I'll definitely give Hegemony or Survival a look. Chomsky certainly has a way of elucidating immensely important information, sometimes admittedly of the dry variety, though always in an entertaining and compelling manner. That must have been an awesome experience seeing him speak.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Banned

OK so I'm finished with Game of Thrones for the nonce and won't be able to pick that up again until he finishes the next one sometime next year. I'm placing an Amazon order tonight and am looking for suggestions to add to my summer reading list.

If you had to choose a really fantastic book or two what would they be? Bonus points if it's something a little less well known because there's more chance I haven't read it

I'll throw out a couple titles too when I get a moment

Dobber Sports Icon

OK so I'm finished with Game of Thrones for the nonce and won't be able to pick that up again until he finishes the next one sometime next year. I'm placing an Amazon order tonight and am looking for suggestions to add to my summer reading list.

If you had to choose a really fantastic book or two what would they be? Bonus points if it's something a little less well known because there's more chance I haven't read it

What genres do you like?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

The Wolverine

The Long Walk - Stephen King.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I'll definitely give Hegemony or Survival a look. Chomsky certainly has a way of elucidating immensely important information, sometimes admittedly of the dry variety, though always in an entertaining and compelling manner. That must have been an awesome experience seeing him speak.

Chomsky fans will love Chris Hedges "The Death of the Liberal Class", great read.

The state of "Permanent War" is an unfortunate reality in our society, and a sad state indeed.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    The Long Walk - Stephen King.
    good read but I've read that one unfortunately, I read all his stuff up until the Gunslinger series and then sorta lost interest

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    What genres do you like?
    like music I don't discriminate, I red everything as long as it's good...maybe some authors would help:

"classics": dostoevsky, hardy, dickens, austen, wilde, orwell, heinlein, tolein, steinbeck, heller, huxley, faulkner, hemmingway, robert penn warren, wharton, vonnegut

modern day: david sedaris, chuck palahniuk, george rr martin, john irving, cormac mccarthy, douglas coupland, nick horsby, tim o'brien, mordecai richler, tom robbins, ian mcewan, malcolm gladwell, neil gaiman

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I really enjoyed The Gum Thief by Coupland, if you haven't read that one.

Like I said earlier in the thread: Anyone who grew up on 80s and early 90s pop culture and is even the least bit nerdy should read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

If you like Gaiman you should check out Perdido Street Station by China Mieville, or The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.

Other good books I've read in the last few years are Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem (about a mob flunky with Tourette's), 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami and the best one I've read in the last year: The Fault in our Stars by John Green. I've also started on The Pale King by David Foster Wallace and so far it's been interesting.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Icon

good read but I've read that one unfortunately, I read all his stuff up until the Gunslinger series and then sorta lost interest

like music I don't discriminate, I red everything as long as it's good...maybe some authors would help:

"classics": dostoevsky, hardy, dickens, austen, wilde, orwell, heinlein, tolein, steinbeck, heller, huxley, faulkner, hemmingway, robert penn warren, wharton, vonnegut

modern day: david sedaris, chuck palahniuk, george rr martin, john irving, cormac mccarthy, douglas coupland, nick horsby, tim o'brien, mordecai richler, tom robbins, ian mcewan, malcolm gladwell, neil gaiman
    McGoo, as a Canadian, I think you'll appreciate The Shipping News very much. One of my favorite books. The author, Annie Proulx, is American but this is a quintessential Canadian novel in my view, perhaps because she spends part of each year in Newfoundland.

The Hollywood movie was such a waste of a fantastic cast, in my view. Spacey, Blanchett, Dench, Pinsent, and yet they never really captured the feel of the movie, not sure why.

I had started reading Infinite Jest by Foster Wallace but got caught up in other stuff, but man what a ride! Plan to finish it some day, when I have 3 weeks and can sit on a beach or something.

Banned

awesome gents, thanks for the suggestions

Dobber Sports Ninja

Finished the God Delusion.

Dawkins comes across as a Grade A jackass, but makes some good points. Not too much new in it, but I can see the draw. Interesting read for those who like those kinds of books.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Then you will probably not enjoy Sam Harris, as he's a bigger *******. Either way, I like the points they make in the books.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Finished the God Delusion.

Dawkins comes across as a Grade A jackass, but makes some good points. Not too much new in it, but I can see the draw. Interesting read for those who like those kinds of books.
    I'd be a little disappointed if he didn't come off that way! You know what your getting with that guy HA.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot