Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holtby vs. Neuvirth

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Holtby vs. Neuvirth

Now that the Washington coaching vacancy has been filled, which of Holby/Neuvirth do you see Oates leaning towards? Barring injury, I see a 50-50 split until one of them establishes themself as the number one.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Iceguy24 View Post
    Now that the Washington coaching vacancy has been filled, which of Holby/Neuvirth do you see Oates leaning towards? Barring injury, I see a 50-50 split until one of them establishes themself as the number one.
    They'll probably give the keys to Holtby to see if he can build upon last years playoff success. But its a fluid situation. Best to own both, if you own one of them.
    Last edited by Shake; June 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM.

Dobber Sports Immortal

As Shake said, it wont be 50-50 to start, the keys will initially go to Holtby. I actually think that Holtby will even be given a bit a leeway to start the year. Neuvirth has been in this exact same spot for the past two seasons and has been unable to take advantage.

Dobber Sports Guru

Too early to say who'll be Oates' new favorite pet. But Holtby has the edge because of his playoff performance and looks like the real deal. Just don't count out Neuvirth yet. He's got the talent to take over if Holtby can't handle the starting duties over a long regular season.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

This one is obviously going to be a dogfight from the start of training camp going on very long into the season, possibly even into the playoffs.

Saying that Neuvirth hasn't been able to take it yet is just silly. We're talking about goalies and Neuvy is, what, 24 years old? Most goalies don't even get a sniff of the NHL at that age. He's been gathering experience, plain and simple. To even suggest that this is given to Holtby from the start is just silly and possibly even ignorant.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    Stop making plurals with apostrophes, you illiterate boobs.
    Excellent restraint, Sentium. You left out: "...establishes himself as number one," "...it's a fluid situation," "...it won't be 50-50," and, "...to start; the keys will..."
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Hey_Robbie View Post
    Excellent restraint, Sentium. You left out: "...establishes himself as number one," "...it's a fluid situation," "...it won't be 50-50," and, "...to start; the keys will..."
    Say what again?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Say what again?
    Sorry, I was just noticing that despite your being well aware of them, you are better than I am at letting most of the grammar issues fly.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Ah, gotcha.

Well, if I would go after every single error I came across, my head would explode. I let my signature be a voice for my two biggest annoyances. A close third would be "should of" constructions instead of "should've".

GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    As Shake said, it wont be 50-50 to start, the keys will initially go to Holtby. I actually think that Holtby will even be given a bit a leeway to start the year. Neuvirth has been in this exact same spot for the past two seasons and has been unable to take advantage.
    I actually believe Oates will come in with the idea that the slate is clean. Whoever runs with it from training camp will be #1 in the beginning.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I strongly disagree. Oates isn't going to get totally free reign and it appears Holtby established himself as ATLEAST having the inside track on the job. That could change but I really don't think it'll be a clean slate situation.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by dongjohnson View Post
    I strongly disagree. Oates isn't going to get totally free reign and it appears Holtby established himself as ATLEAST having the inside track on the job. That could change but I really don't think it'll be a clean slate situation.
    See, that's only your view of it. To me it's quite obvious that two young guys will battle it out with no one having an edge. Holtby is the flavor of the week, yes, but Neuvy has LOADS more experience. Also, the team stands to gain more by putting them in a position where they compete.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Veteran

See, that's only your view of it. To me it's quite obvious that two young guys will battle it out with no one having an edge. Holtby is the flavor of the week, yes, but Neuvy has LOADS more experience. Also, the team stands to gain more by putting them in a position where they compete.
    While there is clearly some truth to that, I think that Washington has seen constantly rotating goalies is not the way to win long-term. Isn't insanity defined as doing the exact same thing and expecting a different result? Plus, several teams would likely be interested in Neuvy and he would be the best trade chip they have. Given his performance recently, I really think Holtby will have *the edge*. It's not a guarantee, but it should make it more likely to give him the nod if they're close.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Icon

Guess we'll have to wait and see then.

i have full confidence in Oates

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by dongjohnson View Post
    While there is clearly some truth to that, I think that Washington has seen constantly rotating goalies is not the way to win long-term. Isn't insanity defined as doing the exact same thing and expecting a different result? Plus, several teams would likely be interested in Neuvy and he would be the best trade chip they have. Given his performance recently, I really think Holtby will have *the edge*. It's not a guarantee, but it should make it more likely to give him the nod if they're close.
    Well, they've had veterans who have been the starters when they were healthy and not sucking. Neuvy and Varly were given the reins temporarily at times because they were hot or because the team didn't have a choice. While that was cool and all, they still didn't have enough experience. Everyone who reads Justin Goldman knows that the most important thing for goalies is maturity to handle what's thrown at them and most often, that comes with experience. Varly and Neuvy are still young by goalie standards and Holtby is even younger. But they've taken steps and they will get there eventually. All three of them.

So yes, in some cases it's crazy to try the same thing over and over. In the case where experience is gained and the variables change, it's not. Even so, Washington hasn't voluntarily had platoons except for that year with Neuvy and Varly. They HAVE had inconsistent or injury-prone starters, though, which is why it's been a good thing that they've had solid backups.

And even if Holtby and Neuvy start out with a clean slate, who's to say that one of them doesn't take the ball and run with it and Washington gets a clear starter anyway?

The point is that anyone saying that Holtby has a clear advantage is suffering from a bad case of "what have you done for me lately?" and is completely forgetting that the ONLY reason Holtby even got a chance to start was because Neuvy was injured. Are we done with this silliness now?
    GO WINGS!