Thread: Harper - how much is too much?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Harper - how much is too much?

5x5 H2H keeper league. 12 teams, 8 keepers.

I am completely out of the running this year and am going after Bryce Harper. His owner wants my Hunter Pence, Felix Hernandez, and a high pick for Harper. The pick I can get from another owner for one of my spare parts, so really it comes down to Pence and Felix for Harper. Too steep?

My current keepers:
    Ryan Howard
    Dan Uggla
    Jose Reyes
    Kevin Youkilis
    Hunter Pence
    Shin-Soo Choo
    Felix Hernandez
    Cole Hamels

If I made a 2-for-1 deal like this for Harper, I would slot either Lance Berkman or Nick Markakis into my other keeper slot if I couldn't find a better bat by shopping around.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm thinking it's definetly to much. I'd say either Felix or hunter plus a pick but not both plus a pick. Felix is only 26, hunter 29 so they still have lots of fantasy life left in them. I like Harper and his nemesis trout but I don't think at this point they are close to being worth 2 great keepers and a pick for either of them.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

i wouldn't even give hunter or felix for harper. maybe pence but not more

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Hog View Post

I am completely out of the running this year and am going after Bryce Harper. His owner wants my Hunter Pence, Felix Hernandez, and a high pick for Harper.
    Cole Hamels

If I made a 2-for-1 deal like this for Harper, I would slot either Lance Berkman or Nick Markakis into my other keeper slot if I couldn't find a better bat by shopping around.

Pence & Felix are still young enough to be part of any rebuild.
    You've got Howard & Youk that seem to be crumbling.
    And you're talking about making Berkman or Markakis as a keeper...

Any team acquiring Harper is effectively rebuilding.
    The asking price is fair (because the other team should be getting a replacement for Hence statistically + future worth compensation for Harper).
    But this doesn't mean it is necessarily a good trade for you.
    It just leaves you with too many holes and an overall direction (too many old guys) that doesn't match the rebuild of adding Harper.

In summary, Pence & Felix (IMO) are too much because your supplementary keeper group is too weak/too old.
    If you could be sure you can flip Youk & Howard for younger guys, then the trade might make more sense to me.

But there just doesn't seem sensible to build with an improving Harper, when you know you have a declining Youk & a declining Howard among your keepers.

What's the chance you can get a guy like Matt Moore for a package of Uggla/Youk/Howard?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Hog View Post

I am completely out of the running this year and am going after Bryce Harper. His owner wants my Hunter Pence, Felix Hernandez, and a high pick for Harper. The pick I can get from another owner for one of my spare parts, so really it comes down to Pence and Felix for Harper. Too steep?

My current keepers:
    Ryan Howard
    Dan Uggla
    Jose Reyes
    Kevin Youkilis
    Hunter Pence
    Shin-Soo Choo
    Felix Hernandez
    Cole Hamels

I would definitely decline the trade, but Pence and a pick is fine with me.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Stud

i would counter with pence and youklis... i would also pull the trigger on any trade that is nabbing you extra picks if you are in a rebuild. get the best keepers you can, and stack as many picks as you can.
    10 team Dyn
    tavares rnh statsny
    AO benn
    kessel malkin
    ryan purcell
    green letang enstrom kulkov OEL ellis
    lundy ward varly bernier lehrner
    burmistrov hodgson michalek, ryan oreilly, turris okposo

16 team h2h
    Spezza, Tavares
    Vanek,doan
    malkin, eberle
    Doughty Letang, karlsson, weber
    hall
    green enstrom downie palmeiri kassain bogo
    lundy price pavelec

weiters fielder kipnis wright hanley braun upton upton maybin victorino goldschmidt
    kershaw, startsburg, greinke, bumgarner, price, neise, bret anderson
    valverde, hanrahan, aceves, reed, guerra, storen

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    i agree with Mac

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Pence & Felix are still young enough to be part of any rebuild.
    You've got Howard & Youk that seem to be crumbling.
    ... [edit]
    If you could be sure you can flip Youk & Howard for younger guys, then the trade might make more sense to me.

What's the chance you can get a guy like Matt Moore for a package of Uggla/Youk/Howard?
    It's a weird league in that SPs are rarely kept - Matt Moore will most likely be available at the draft for example.

I've been offered Brian McCann (and old-man Michael Young) for Youkilis, Bumgarner, and Saltalamacchia. Is this headed in the right direction?

And I agree with everyone - the Harper offer was way too much!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    I also agree. People are going bonkers for Harper. Sure, he's got an elite skill set but to send off a top pitcher, good hitter and pick for him is too much...
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I wouldn't want to send away bumgardner for mcann. Like you said young is aging, youk is an injury hazard but I think salty is catcher enough that you don't need to give away a young stud pitcher like madison for him. There are lots of great young catchers not far away from being contributers so I don't like that deal for you IMO.

Dobber Sports Veteran

This really comes down to how crap your team is this year. If you're in dead last, perhaps completely blasting your team is a good idea and using Harper as your core isn't such a bad idea. Otherwise perhaps you can get a young player back in the deal if you were to send Felix and Pence.

Depends on your situation.